xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Unable to locate appropiate web brower for the requested URL.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
fasteddie0747 Unable to locate appropiate web brower for the requested URL.
Member 26th Mar, 2011 12:10
Ranking: 1
User Since: 23rd May, 2010
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 26th Mar, 2011 12:14

I am getting this error message when I click on install solution and when I click on the forum link within the software.
"Unable to locate appropiate web browser for the requested URL.
I am using Internet Explorer 8 with Windows Vista 32 Bit system.
My secunia score is 89% and I notice that its saying 100% within the forum page.
I did a Manager Recovery on my computer and have downloaded all requested important Windows updates including the Service Pack 1 and 2 all updates are up to date.

--
fasteddie0747

Anthony Wells RE: Unable to locate appropiate web brower for the requested URL.
Expert Contributor 26th Mar, 2011 12:20
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hi ,

Your problem is dealt with in this FAQ :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Hope that helps ; let us know how you go .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
fasteddie0747 RE: Unable to locate appropiate web brower for the requested URL.
Member 26th Mar, 2011 21:37
Score: 1
User Since: 23rd May 2010
I tried this and checked the browser setting and it shows that its set to the browser I am using IE 8 and I still am getting the error message.

--
fasteddie0747
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Unable to locate appropiate web brower for the requested URL.
Expert Contributor 26th Mar, 2011 22:30
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Hello fasteddie0717

Have you checked that your profile details correspond in both the Configure section of psi...and the My Profile info held ( left of this forum page...in grey ) ?

I notice you had a similar problem/error message back in December after an install of psi....are you using the most recent version......psi 2.0.0.3001 ?

Have you got access to another browser ? If so you could try toggling the default to see if that makes a difference. Personally, I always found IE8 very sluggish anyrate, and never used it as my default browser.

Hope it's of some help......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 30th Mar, 2011 22:23
@fasteddie0717

Have you managed to get sorted ? How did you get on ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
fasteddie0747 RE: Unable to locate appropiate web brower for the requested URL
Member 30th Mar, 2011 23:10
Score: 1
User Since: 23rd May 2010
Last edited on 30th Mar, 2011 23:12
Yes, I have access to Chrome. My settings are set to IE 8 AS DEFAULT.
Should I try Chrome S default?

--
fasteddie0747
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Unable to locate appropiate web brower for the requested URL.
Handling Contributor 30th Mar, 2011 23:39
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Can U please confirm U have actually checked the data in the registry like this:

CHANGING A DEFAULT BROWSER VIA THE REGISTRY

If U are receiving this error message An error occurred while attempting to open the specified URL it may require a modification to the registry.

IT IS IMPORTANT U FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER. TINKERING IN THE REGISTRY BEYOND THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BELOW AND GETTING IT WRONG CAN,IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, CAUSE A SEVERE LOSS OF HUMOUR AFTER A RESTART AND WINDOWS REFUSES TO BOOT! IT IS WRITTEN FOR A COMPLETE NOVICE USER - more advanced users should navigate within Regedit to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command & make the browser adjustment given at 3d below.

1. Opening REGEDIT

Vista & Windows 7 Users - Click Start>type regedit in the search box>REGEDIT.EXE will appear at the top of the list>click it>from the prompt allow the programme to run>U are now in the Registry.

2. Finding the correct key to modify

a. Look in the LEFT PANE & at the top U will see HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. To the left of that key is an arrow. Click it to reveal a long list of Gobbledygook.
b. Scroll down that list to the entry HTTP Click the arrow to the left and look for SHELL click the arrow to the left of Shell and look for OPEN click the arrow to the left of Open and it will reveal COMMAND

3. Modifying the key.

a. Double click on the word COMMAND. The word COMMAND should be highlighted blue.
b. Now look in the RIGHT HAND PANE and U will see an entry starting with an ICON next to the word (default). DOUBLE click on the word (default).
c. A box will appear. U will see an entry called VALUE DATA which will have data in it highlighted in blue. Click the keyboard DELETE key.Make sure ALL the entry is removed.

d. Now highlight & copy (CTRL+C) & then paste(CTRL+V) this into the DEFAULT box. IT MUST BE EXACTLY AS WRITTEN (bold data only) below.

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome

Once inserted click OK> the browser U have chosen should now show under DATA in the RIGHT PANE.

Now EXIT the registry by click the RED BOX with a X at the top RIGHT corner.

Job done.

Update 4 16:58 04/02/2011

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
DaveC46 RE: Unable to locate appropiate web brower for the requested URL.
Member 1st Apr, 2011 06:19
Score: 0
User Since: 31st Mar 2011
I tried following your instructions but there's no arrow to the left of "Open" & the word "Command" never appeared. Nevertheless, clicking the folder [or file] entitled "Open" produces an icon with the letters AB & the word (Default) next to it under name; under type is REG_SZ. Is this the registry entry where I neecd to change the data value to "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome even though my version of Win 7 doesn't contain the word Command here?

Thanks in advance, Maurice.

--
Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DaveC46 RE: Unable to locate appropiate web brower for the requested URL.
Member 1st Apr, 2011 06:46
On the likely premise that this was the correct registry entry I made the change to the data value for "Open" & tried it. This solved my problem for getting to Windows Updates but not to any other URL from Secunia PSI, including this web site. I never had this problem with my old computer which used XP Pro. This computer runs Win 7 Home Premium, 32-bit, IE9, & Opera 11.01 [default browser]. I wonder if Secunia's developers should consider working on an upgrade for v2.0.0.3001. Regards.

--
Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Apr, 2011 13:50
@fasteddie0717

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Apr, 2011 14:04
@fasteddie0717
How did you get on ? Did you follow Maurice's advice to confirm IE8 ?

To answer your question....if you havn't found success....I find Chrome at default with Vista works very well and fast. You need not go into the Registry to change it if you don't wish. Simply click on the Spanner/Wrench ( top right Chrome): then Options and then Basics.....scroll down to Default Browser and check.

The other thing that I wished to confirm with you......have you updated to the latest psi.....version 2.0.0.3001 ?

Please update us if you find time......thanks......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Apr, 2011 14:24
@DaveC46
There are possibly a few reasons why response has not been forthcoming to your posts.
Firstly you have tagged on fasteddie's thread.....whereas to keep matters clear and unmuddled 'tis better to Create Thread for yourself ( See in blue on left of page, above Statistics). Another reason for it being best is that if fasteddie so wished, he could close the thread before any discourse between yourself and helper was resolved.
To nevertheless try to clear up some of the muddle.....it is very unwise to follow advice specifically written for another. To try to follow into the Registry could be construed as tantamount to catastrophic !
Your posts show signs of self opposition......you have tried setting IE as default when later you state that Opera is such.
If you are still experiencing problems could you please give the update regarding your situation on your own thread ? Thankyou.
Hope this helps......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
DaveC46 RE: Unable to locate appropriate web browser for the requested URL.
Member 2nd Apr, 2011 17:04
My apologies, mogs; point taken & thanks for the advice! My query will be forthcoming. Rgds.

--
Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+