Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: auto program updates WITH prompt before update

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
David12846 auto program updates WITH prompt before update
Member 27th Mar, 2011 05:02
Ranking: 4
User Since: 29th Apr, 2008
System Score: N/A
I'm confused. In my PSI settings I have "Enable automatic program updates" enabled. It says in part:
"...and automatically download and install the suggested security patches on your PC."

I also have "Prompt before running automatic program updates
" enabled. That on says in part:
"...The update will not start until the approval icon is clicked".

Having both enabled seems to be contradictory. How can PSI automatically download and INSTALL an update (the 1st setting above), when I also tell PSI to wait until I click on the approval icon (the 2nd setting above) ? Seems like if one is enabled, the other should be disabled.

mogs RE: auto program updates WITH prompt before update
Expert Contributor 27th Mar, 2011 08:05
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
All that it means is that when an update does become available, before proceeding with it...psi will prompt, as you set it to. Some people prefer to know when it occurs rather than letting the Auto Update proceed unchecked. The choice is there for you to set. Personally, I prefer to let psi carry on unimpeded. It gives you the choice.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
David12846 RE: auto program updates WITH prompt before update
Member 27th Mar, 2011 14:14
Score: 4
User Since: 29th Apr 2008
Ah, okay. So even though I have "Enable automatic program updates" enabled, programs will NOT AUTOMATICALLY update if I have "Prompt before running automatic program updates" enabled.

I'd rather NOT have secunia allow an automatic update. When installing programs for the _FIRST_ time, there are oftentimes toolbars and other add-ons I do not want installed. Consequently, I'm leery about letting secunia do an update, because an update could very well include, by default, a toolbar or other add-ons I do not want (I agree most updates only update a program already installed, but a company _could_ include a tick box in the update to disable/enable other programs they want you to have). I am presuming "automatic update" includes not only downloading the executable to DO the update, but executing it as well (otherwise, it is not truly "automatic"). Hmmm. Maybe this last paragraph should be in a separate post.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 27th Mar, 2011 14:35
I cannot be absolutely precise....find the thread concerned with....but the subject has had an airing on the forum before, I'm sure....at which time I think most people's worst fears and nightmares were allayed or placated !!
But you need to assure yourself, and will probably feel better getting to know how it operates for yourself.
As follows is a copy of some other notes concerning AU which may be a comfort !

The Auto-updates are scheduled as soon as the PSI becomes aware that you are missing a patch (ie. when you run scan).

However, to prevent the PSI from disturbing your workflow, it will perform a check before installing: such as whether or not the program is running, or a certain file is locked. This should prevent auto-updates from interfering with normal program usage.

Hope this helps.........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Mar, 2011 15:42
Thanks mogs - I can agree there would be a concern if Secunia attempts to update a program while the program is running. I hadn't thought about that. It is good to know an update won't happen (hopefully) if a program is running.

I'm just worried that a program's update could include, by default, something extra I don't want installed. I believe the great majority of updates do not include "extras", but I wouldn't put it past companies to eventually include "extras" in the future (Microsoft does it. That's why I use "custom" instead of "express" for my updates from Microsoft. Heaven forbid if any update includes something not mentioned in an update!)

I'll look into how Secunia performs Automatic updates of programs. Maybe Secunia (now, or as a future feature of Secunia) will not do an Automatic update if it detects selectable options in an update.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 27th Mar, 2011 16:06
Here we are...take a look at this thread....fifth post down by Emil/Support :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/698...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 27th Mar, 2011 18:53
PERFECT! Thanks! I searched PSI before my original post, but I didn't find anything too relevant.... but I also did not check every post that was found!
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 27th Mar, 2011 20:05
Last edited on 27th Mar, 2011 20:07
Well, I'm glad you found it useful.....I knew I'd seen it mentioned before somewhere ! In the couple of years I've been using Secunia ; whilst Support are busy elsewhere from time to time, I've learnt to trust in their integrity. I'm sure you'll become more familiar as time goes by.
Remember, that only those updates pertaining to a program's security are made....bug fixes/cosmetic enhancement updates are not Secunia psi's priority/concern.

If the issue is now resolved ; as you are the originator of the thread, you have the option to close it, by selecting ACCEPT. This will lock the thread : preventing tag-on posts and reminder e mails.
Regards...........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability