Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Different Firefox Detection Over Wireless Network

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
troothteller Different Firefox Detection Over Wireless Network
Member 29th Mar, 2011 17:24
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
My host computer runs Windows 7 Premium Home 64-bit Edition, on which Secunia rates it 100%, detecting Firefox version 4. It also had IE8 as the default. My remote computer runs XP-Pro and has Firefox updated to version 4. It has IE7, but Firefox is the default browser on that one. Yet, on the XP, Secunia only rates it 99%, detecting the former version of Firefox instead of the current one. Not seeing any similar threads, I wanted to inquire why the same versions of Secunia, PSI 2.0, would not detect Firefox similarly on each of my two computers. I look forward to your responses.

--
troothteller

Anthony Wells RE: Different Firefox Detection Over Wireless Network
Expert Contributor 29th Mar, 2011 17:38
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 29th Mar, 2011 17:40
Are you using the latest version of PSI #2.0.0.3001 ??

What is the detected instance pathway displayed for the old Ff on the XP ?? Post the full Troubleshoot report from the Toolbox if you like .

Is Ff showing as "insecure" to give 99% or is it something else ??

Is Ff 4.0 also displayed ??

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
troothteller RE: Different Firefox Detection Over Wireless Network
Member 29th Mar, 2011 18:51
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Dec 2010
Mr. Wells, thank you for getting back. To answer as best as I can right now, I am on the Windows 7 computer. At this time the XP is running antivirus; so I cannot access toolbox to answer regarding the instance pathway. Yes, PSI detects it on that computer as insecure. No, it does not detect Firefox 4. If the latest version of PSI is beta, then I probably continued to use the version I have. Should someone provide a reliable link, I will try uninstalling my versions and installing the new version on both computers.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Mar, 2011 19:25

OK , no rush as I cannot get back here until tomorrow .

At the very top right of this and any Secunia webpage are 5 links and the centre left is "Download PSI" which takes you to the latest version installer ; to check your version , right click the tray icon and select "About" . The latest version 2.0x is full release .

Post when you can and we'll follow up . If you have Ff4.0 correctly installed , there may be some old files lying about - easier to see in the latest PSI , once you find your way around .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Mar, 2011 19:27
Mr. Wells, but "troubleshooting report" and "toolbox," do you mean the log file that we can create under Settings? I only see one in Firefox which PSI designates in the scan results as "waiting for update."

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Mar, 2011 19:27
Mr. Wells, but "troubleshooting report" and "toolbox," do you mean the log file that we can create under Settings? I only see one in Firefox which PSI designates in the scan results as "waiting for update."

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Mar, 2011 19:36
Last edited on 29th Mar, 2011 19:39
In PSI version 2.0.x to the left of the entry click the [+] and you will see detected instances , which is the pathway we need . Double click either the original entry or the detected instance and a splash window opens , top right module is the "Toolbox" and inside are various links to help you . You can Copy (Ctrl + c) and Paste "Ctrl + v) here the Troubleshoot report to give max info .

EDIT , when you say "waiting for update" , do you have 3auto-updates" enabled or did you launch the PSI update ; if so the update needs you to close Ff for it to complete .

See you tomorrow .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

troothteller

RE: Different Firefox Detection Over Wireless Network
[+]
This reply has been deleted
puget1 RE: Different Firefox Detection Over Wireless Network
Member 30th Mar, 2011 04:18
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 30th Mar, 2011 04:29
@Anthony Wells

For your/ my info: I show nether I.E. 9 or Firefox 4.0 in secure browser. Just out of curiosity are you running "privacy suite" or the old "Taco with Abion", or just "Abion" and poss. "Ghostery.". I have a hunch that it is possible, repeat poss, that the new anti tracker features in both browsers may have something to do with it. Hopefully, one of the Handling contributors or Secunia official will be able to comment. This would account for both browsers not showing in my case do to my settings. See this thread:http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/796... I checked both Add and Remove and Registry to no avail for left over files. Hope this helps your diagnosis. Respectfully, Puget 1 ( will cross reference both Threads)

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Different Firefox Detection Over Wireless Network
Handling Contributor 30th Mar, 2011 10:49
Score: 11744
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@Puget1

Not sure your comments are relevant to this thread. I have posted to
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/796...

to answer the query on the Secure Browser Section.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Mar, 2011 11:20
Last edited on 30th Mar, 2011 11:27
Hello troothteller ,

You should not post any PSI logs to the Forum as they often contain confidential data ; hopefully Maurice Joyce will delete your post for us to minimise any damage .It may be worth emailing support@secunia.com to ask about resetting your Secunia references .

The trouble shoot report is showing an insecure version of Ff in 3.6.12 :-

Instances Found:
C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\cache\firefox.exe, version: 3.6.12

The "ERDNT" folder is used by your "ERUNT" programme and rerunning it now that you have Ff4.0 loaded should do the trick as was suggested by ddm in this thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/602...

Is Ff4.0 showing in the Scan Results page if you run a full PSI scan ?? The insecure listing of Ff 3.6.12 will be at the top of the page with the 4.0 version alphabetically as Mozilla ....

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: Different Firefox Detection Over Wireless Network
Handling Contributor 30th Mar, 2011 12:52
Score: 11744
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Having copied down the relevant bit & deleted post.

---START---

Program Name:
Mozilla Firefox 3.6.x

Security State:
Insecure

Download Link:
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.6.1...

Instances Found:
C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\cache\firefox.exe, version: 3.6.12

Last System Scan (localtime):
29. Mar 2011, 14:59

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3

---END---

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Mar, 2011 16:50

Thank you , Maurice , for deleting the post from @troothteller containing the PSI log .

How are you getting along @troothteller ??

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Mar, 2011 21:25
Forgive the delay in getting back. Here we are on the verge of Spring, and I came down with a cold last night which almost sidelines me. Anyway, I guess it was my fault that my first response yesterday did not post being it was too long. I do not know why PSI generates logs; so I thought you needed them. Next time I will not post them unless required. Anyway, I just followed the path to the file ERDNT and Firefox would not execute. Then I went on its pages to look up information on uninstalling. Somehow the prior version downloaded and reinstalled. Then I updated and upgraded. I have since ran PSI twice, and it now shows 100%. Honestly, I do not know what the moderators mean by full scan, since I only see an option to start and stop scanning. The actual ERDNT program has something to do with restoring registry entries, so I did not want to fool around with that. Anyway, it probably was helpful to follow the path where PSI found the problem. Thanks.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Mar, 2011 21:53

Hi ,

Me too , I have a sore throat and a cold that threatens but seems too timid to make a serious attack for the moment .

ERDNT files are Registry back up files made by your ERUNT programme , so the Firefox.exe file would not be expected to execute from there ; it would need restoring . Anyway , it seems that your "reinstalling" and the like has rectified the problem and the back up files have updated themselves or such like ; well done :))

If you're at 100% then in my book it's back to "if it ain't broke , don't fix it !!"

Concerning the term "full scan" , I use it to differentiate between the scan you are referring to (which is the scan that runs from the "scan" page and does your whole system) and the individual programme "rescan" whose link is found in the "Toolbox" and just does the one programme ; the individual programme "re-scan" has a history of not working too well and can cause confusion .

PSI logs are to allow the technically inclined to see what is going on behind the scenes on their computer viz a viz the PSI or for one to send them to Secunia by email - at their request - for problem analysis ; in my book , not much of interest to the average user , such as myself .

Hope that's satisfactory for you , if not please ask again .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

puget1

RE: Different Firefox Detection Over Wireless Network
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Member 31st Mar, 2011 04:57
For benefit of all those concerned, I never upgraded from IE7 on my XP-Pro Edition because IE8 caused me enough blue screens. Toshiba additionally advised not to upgrade. However, I made Firefox the default browser since IE7 seemed slow loading pages. There are operations such as Microsoft Update where I have to use IE7. I hope that my using IE7 is not a security issue.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st Mar, 2011 12:05

Hello toothteller ,

First let us say that no browser is 100% sure - that only applies to death and taxes - and if you surf the web dangerously and do not follow safe browsing rules , then you are asking for trouble and putting your personal data at risk ; that is a very bad idea .

The PSI needs the embedded IE engine on your system to work , this is not dangerous to you .

For the rest , from my personal point of view , then :-

IE8 is safer than IE7 and both have low/moderate known public vulnerabilities which M$ seemingly have no intention of patching . IE9 is more secure and fully patched atm , but you cannot load it onto any XP systems ; despite the fact that the majority of Windows OS users still use XP .

Nothing is lost as Firefox v4.0 and Google Chrome v10.x (and later) seem to be a more than able replacement and match for IE 9 , as shown here , and both are great on XP :-

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-20047314-12.h...

I personally consider the Google Chrome browser to have the best security ; even so I run my browser in a sandbox ("Sandboxie") whenever convenient .

In my case I have IE8 which is set so that the PSI functions correctly and is never used otherwise except for it being obligatory for M$ updates .

I use Ff 4.0 as my default browser for basic work and the Chrome browser Develpment channel version 12.x when I want to fly around the web .

Hope that is helpful .

@puget1 ,

With all due respect , neither of your posts are actually relevant to the problem raisedin this thread ; in particular your second one based on a nearly 2 year old editorial . If you wish someone to comment on the latest HTML5 , Javascript and accelerators for 3D , etc ., as applicable and trying to be standardised by the various browser manufacturers , I would suggest you create your own thread rather than tagging on where it is not relevant .

Take care both of you ; I'm still fighting back the cold attack .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
puget1 RE: Different Firefox Detection Over Wireless Network
Member 1st Apr, 2011 05:07
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 1st Apr, 2011 05:12
Apologies all ways around , it was composition error. I should of removed the relevant from this thread. I still feel it is relevant in that it explains the point I was trying to make about the mixing of old and new technology in the other thread and IE8. That new technology is upon us.

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 3rd Apr, 2011 04:40
I believe I am going to have to uninstall Firefox and install Google Chrome as my default browser. This morning, with PSI running 100%, I saw Firefox reverted back to version 3.6.14. To get back my version 4.0 I had to reinstall it after removing it totally, then downloading the installation file, getting there through IE7. Now, PSI again runs 99%, picking up the prior version 3.6.x as insecure even though when open Firefox shows 4.0. Incidentally, the browser looks different on XP than it does on my Windows 7 host computer.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Apr, 2011 13:32
Last edited on 3rd Apr, 2011 16:21
Hello troothteller ,

You do not say , but if the old version 3.6.14 is still displaying in the same ERDNT folder location , as before , it is because you need to actually run your ERUNT registry back up programme but only to let it update itself , what happened prior has only affected the 3.6.x version (*** see EDIT); still ,the Ff 3.6.x version (as you found out) is not available to either you or the bad guys because it's in a back up folder ; you can choose to ignore it if you do not want to rerun the ERUNT programme . You can also set the PSI to ignore it by clicking the [+] to the lhs of the "insecure" entry and you will see the detected instance , at the left end you will see two yellowish folder icons , clicking the one with the red blob will set an ignore rule for it and the PSI will nether scan nor display the "problem" Ff.exe file .

***EDIT : you need to be sure you do not run your ERUNT programme to "restore the registry" - this would put back Firefox as 3.6.14 - but only to update itself ; if you are not sure , then use the ignore rule I described above

The/any ignore rule can then be seen if , on the "Dashboard" page , you select "Configuration" and then "Settings" and the second tab along the top is "Ignore Rules" .

As puget1 has rightly pointed out and as I pointed out in my last post , IE9 is not offered for XP because the "latest" technology works better on the Windows 7 system . That is no help to me , so even though the new technologies are the same in Firefox 4.0 and Google Chrome , I am glad that they are both offered for XP all-being that they will be less effective on XP than Win7 . I cannot compare them myself , as I only have XP available to me , but I would not be surprised you are seeing differences in Firefox 4.0 between the two systems .

Concerning Firefox on XP , if "About" says you have 4.0 , then I would trust to that , as the ERDNT entry is causing you confusion .

Of course you could go back to Ff3.6.x on your XP and compare it to 4.0 on your Win 7 for awhile .

Hope that helps .

Anthony

PS : from a "security" point of view , you may wish to consider updating to IE9 from IE8 on your main Win7 computer

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2011 20:15
I just used IObit Uninstaller to remove as much of Firefox as it could. Now I am about to install Chrome.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Apr, 2011 20:57

If you have cleaned out all trhings Firefox , I would run a full system scan using the PSI scan page to see if anything is still showing up .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Apr, 2011 02:09
After downloading Chrome, PSI still detected the old Firefox. IObit Uninstall had a forced uninstall feature which I tried to use to uninstall everything left of Firefox, using the same pathway as before. After twice failing at that, I went to the file and sent the Firefox .exe file to the Recycle Bin. Now, PSI runs 100%.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Apr, 2011 06:22
Last edited on 4th Apr, 2011 06:28
Hi troothteller ,

That is good news :)) especially as the PSI does not scan the recycle bin any more :))

Sorry it has taken so long to sort out , but I think the problem was that you were using the PSI's link to try to update the "insecure" ERDNT Firefox 3.6.12 file and that would not work on that file itself ; but , instead , every time you used that link , it was replacing/reloading Ff 3.6.14 as the latest "secure" version of the actual browser you were using and this was removing Ff4.0 or whatever version you had installed .

Now you are "clean" and back to 100% , you can load Firefox 4.0 and it should run fine and it will be displayed by the PSI on the "Scan Results" page but not yet in the "secure browsing" module . Here is the link :-

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

It would be interesting to hear back how Firefox 4.0 compares on XP and Win 7 ; also , whether you like Chrome .

When you have time , you might think of going to IE9 on your Win 7 machine .

Let us know how you get on .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Apr, 2011 19:14
I do not plan to use Firefox on my XP computer, which is why I downloaded and installed Chrome. Even after updating the former Firefox version, PSI will still detect the need to upgrade to version 4.0. Besides, as stated before, the new version does not look the same as it does on my Windows 7 computer, which leads me to believe that it does not install properly under XP.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Apr, 2011 20:36

Hello again ,

Your browser choice is quite naturally yours and yours alone . The PSI will respect that and so any fully patched and secure browser will be displayed as such .

You can have only one platform and it's version of Mozilla Firefox browser on your computer at a time : that is for Firefox : either 3.5.18 or 3.6.16 or 4.0 . All are still supported by Mozilla for now ; rather like IE7 ,IE 8 and IE 9 are all supported by M$ .

Each of these will display normally as "patched" and "up to date" on the PSI "Scan results" page ; the PSI will only advise if the version becomes insecure and advise a patch , that is , the next version of the same series on the same platform and not a jump to a new platform .

Should you change your mind , here is a link for Firefox to install the latest version of the 3.6.x platform , which happens to be 3.6.16 :-

http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/changelo...

Hope that is clear enough . Ask if you need anything else .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Apr, 2011 00:04
Earlier this week I developed a new problem after I tried to take your advice and try to update the ERDNT program. Having never seen the option to do that, it ran and probably did something to the registry. Then, Microsoft Update picked up seven critical updates, out of which I could only install two. Then both my Quicktime Player and Adobe Reader X picked up updates that would not install. My HP printer software became corrupted and would not reinstall even from the disk. Finally I did a system restore, which worked well enough to restore network connections that I thought were lost. My HP driver was again functional. However, I am now dealing with Microsoft. Microsoft Update never picked up those remaining updates and, likewise, Quicktime and Reader did not pick up theirs either. For a moment I thought maybe Chrome, through which I now access this forum, brought all this on. Having reinstalled it since the system restore, I do not notice any obvious problem. Firefox, however, was still on my computer after I did system restore, and it took more than one uninstall to get rid of it. I would uninstall it, and moments later it would appear on my desktop.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: Different Firefox Detection Over Wireless Network
Dedicated Contributor 9th Apr, 2011 01:53
Score: 1210
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
The ERDNT program is the restore component of the ERUNT program. You reset your registry to its previous state from an ERUNT backup. This would explain the unusual behaviour you experienced.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Apr, 2011 17:27

Thanks for the input , ddm :)

Sorry to hear about your troubles , troothteller :(( where are you up to now , are you back to 100% yet ?? Can we be of further help !!

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Apr, 2011 19:10
Gentleman and (if there are any in this forum, Ladies), I was away from my computer for a while since last week. Today I realized that, in addition to things that set back the registry, running PSI while having an external hard drive connected with files from previously owned computers will alter the scan results. I was running unusual results at rates of 98% and 96% before I looked at the pathways. PSI picked up old versions of Java Runtime on this external drive. There was a Macromedia Shockwave Player that I removed since that has been updated by Adobe. Microsoft revealed that that my Update file was corrupted to the point where I was not getting all my updates. That is another procedure one cannot do with any removable media connected to the computer. That problem seems to have ceased. During usage I do not always remember all that I need on my computers. I believe things are under control. Thanks to all!

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Apr, 2011 20:25
Last edited on 13th Apr, 2011 20:33
Hello again ,

Nice to have your update and the news seems positive :)) Computer technology is such a moving table it seems like it is either famine or feast .

We do have plenty of "Ladies" who visit the Forum and hopefully the advice that is given is set to match capability rather than gender ; although one cannot please all the people all of the time .

If you have any other problems come back here or create a new thread ; this one will auto close in 7 days from the "last post" (so to speak :))

Take care

Anthony

PS: if you go to the Dashboard and select "Configuration" on the lhs of the/any PSI page and then "Settings" you will see a tab marked "Drives" ; there you can select/deselect any drive(s) you do not wish to have scanned and the PSI will no longer scan it/them , without needing to disconnect or whatever .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer