Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: No PSI icon in the notification area

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Ouzounian No PSI icon in the notification area
Member 30th Mar, 2011 16:01
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Oct, 2008
System Score: 100%
After installing PSI and ensuring the "Enable program monitoring" box is checked, I do not get the PSI icon in the Notification Area of the System Tray. I am running PSI on my own home laptop, XP Home Edition, Version 2002, SP 3, PSI version = 2.0.0.3001.

When I re-install PSI, the notification icon does show up for some days, maybe a week. The icon appears before the connection to the internet occurs, and appears red. But after the connection to the 'net is completed, the icon eventually turns green. The laptop does connect to the internet after the icon appears. But, as I said, after some days, the notification icon stops appearing in the notification areas.

On my other laptops, this problem does not occur.

I'd appreciate any help or ideas.

mogs RE: No PSI icon in the notification area
Expert Contributor 30th Mar, 2011 16:48
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Hello.
The changing of the icon from red to green, is indicative of your score being up to the mark....as you say, appearing after connection.
You havn't by chance got Hide Inactive Icons checked ? Right click/Properties/Notification Area......as there could be longer/shorter periods of inactivity ? First thought....sorry if seeming overly simplistic....nevertheless hope it helps.....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Ouzounian RE: No PSI icon in the notification area
Member 30th Mar, 2011 18:06
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Oct 2008
on 30th Mar, 2011 16:48, mogs wrote:
Hello.
The changing of the icon from red to green, is indicative of your score being up to the mark....as you say, appearing after connection.
You havn't by chance got Hide Inactive Icons checked ? Right click/Properties/Notification Area......as there could be longer/shorter periods of inactivity ? First thought....sorry if seeming overly simplistic....nevertheless hope it helps.....regards,

Hide inactive icons is and has been unchecked. The notification icon itself isn't there to turn red-to-green. When it is there, it does the red-to-green fandango. I probably should not have mentioned that change, as it confused the problem.

Am I the only one who experiences this problem?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: No PSI icon in the notification area
Expert Contributor 30th Mar, 2011 19:05
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
@Ouzounian

I've not read of the problem you're experiencing......there have been probs reported of the icon not changing colour or missing altogether : but not of appearing for long periods and then doing a vanishing act.
Might it be worth giving CHKDSK a whirl to verify consistancy of the disk....as the problem does seem to be somewhat erratic ?
On the offchance that something may not be set quite right....worth checking thro' the newer FAQ's perhaps ?
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/ FAQ's
Hopefully, other suggestions may be forthcoming from forum members.
Sorry I can't be of more help.....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+