Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 2.0 not working

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
This user no longer exists PSI 2.0 not working
Member 31st Mar, 2011 20:02
Ranking: 9
User Since: 1st Jan, 1970
System Score: N/A
I installed 2.0.

I tried to do a scan but the programs appears to do nothing, even after many minutes. Under Scan Status, nothing appears under 'Scan has been running for'.

Opening the Drives tab under settings, no drives appear.

mogs RE: PSI 2.0 not working
Expert Contributor 31st Mar, 2011 20:54
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Have you got the latest version of psi installed ? 2.0.0.3001 ?
Have you checked thro' the newer FAQ's here :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
And particularly settings here :-http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... Read thro' for further if using XP.
Hope this helps......please provide more details/error messages etc., if requiring more assistance.
Regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI 2.0 not working
Member 1st Apr, 2011 00:57
Last edited on 1st Apr, 2011 01:00
on 31st Mar, 2011 20:54, mogs wrote:
Hello.
Have you got the latest version of psi installed ? 2.0.0.3001 ?

I believe so:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll305/Arctucas/...

on 31st Mar, 2011 20:54, mogs wrote:

Have you checked thro' the newer FAQ's here :-
And particularly settings here :-http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... Read thro' for further if using XP.
Hope this helps......please provide more details/error messages etc., if requiring more assistance.
Regards,

I could see nothing pertaining to my specific issues.

However, it appears the scan does take place, despite the fact the progress indicator and 'San has been running for' never change:

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Apr, 2011 07:18
@Arctucas
To obtain the full version number...right click on the psi icon in the taskbar, and then click on About.
From your screenshot it appears no scan has taken place as scheduled for 18:49hrs yesterday.......presumably you'd clicked on Start scan to perform manually and nothing had happened, as your first post concerning the problem was at 20:02hrs.
Tho' you say you couldn't see anything in the FAQ settings concerning your problem......can you please confirm that you have configured them to conform to psi's requirements ?
What is your Operating System ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Apr, 2011 16:19
Last edited on 1st Apr, 2011 16:21
on 1st Apr, 2011 07:18, mogs wrote:
@Arctucas
To obtain the full version number...right click on the psi icon in the taskbar, and then click on About.

When I right-click on the taskbar icon there is no "About", only "Secunia PSI", "Pin this program to taskbar", and "Close window". Is the version number as displayed from the screeshot of the 'Details' tab of 'Properties' page of PSI in my previous post not the complete number?

From your screenshot it appears no scan has taken place as scheduled for 18:49hrs yesterday.......presumably you'd clicked on Start scan to perform manually and nothing had happened, as your first post concerning the problem was at 20:02hrs.

Actually, the scan did tke place, and there were (0) insecure programs, and I have a score of 100%.

Tho' you say you couldn't see anything in the FAQ settings concerning your problem......can you please confirm that you have configured them to conform to psi's requirements ?

I believe my rig meets all the requirements:

System Requirements

The list of requirements that must be met for the Secunia PSI to function correctly are:
Supported Operating Systems (32 & 64 bit):

Microsoft Windows 7
Microsoft Windows Vista SP 1 or later
Microsoft Windows XP - SP 3

I have (as answered below) Windows 7 Ultimate x64 w/Service Pack 1. Fully updated.

Privileges

To install and run the Secunia PSI you require administrative privileges.

I am the Administrator, and I have tried running PSI using "Run as Administrator".

Connectivity

Access to Secunia's encrypted servers via SSL (https://psi.secunia.com:443/) and access to Microsoft Windows Update servers, see also Software Requirements below.

No issues with either Secunia servers or Microsoft Update servers.

Software Requirements

Windows UpdateThe latest version of Microsoft Update. You can determine whether or not you are running the latest version by visiting update.microsoft.com with Microsoft Internet Explorer, while logged in as the Administrator. If you are able to check your system for missing updates through this tool, your system should function properly with the Secunia PSI.

As stated above, I have no issues updating Windows, and all the current updates are installed.

Hardware Requirements:

There are no additional hardware requirements. If your computer runs any of the above mentioned Operating Systems, then Secunia PSI should work.

What is your Operating System ?

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 w/Service Pack 1.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Apr, 2011 17:02
Hello again.
If you look at the following, you will see that there have been three versions of psi 2.0.......2.0.0.3001 being the latest :( also noted in my signature details below ).

When I referred earlier to requirements, it was with regard to configurement of settings as contained in the FAQ's, NOT the initial system requisites......copy as follows :-

The Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia's servers to complete a scan. To make this possible, you may need to change some of your Internet options.

To do this:

Open the control panel
Open Internet Options > Security tab. In Windows7/Vista you may need to click 'Network and Internet' to access the Internet Options
Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
Make sure that Active Scripting is enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
Press OK then Yes.
Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
Type in the following and press the Add button to add it to the Trusted Sites list:
https://*.secunia.com
Press Close, then OK.
Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.

If this has still not fixed your problem, go back to the Internet Options, then go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Security->Check for server certificate revocation.

The Secunia SSL certificate is signed by Thawte. If the Thawte site is not accessible from the computer, and if this option is selected, then the PSI will fail to connect to our site. So please remove the check at “Check for server certificate revocation". However, please understand that this means your computer would not notice if a site publisher revoked his/her certificate, which could indicate a theft or loss. If you are concerned about this, try the steps outlined below before this one to see if they solve the problem

If this has still not allowed you to open the PSI, please go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and ensure that both the 'Secunia PSI Agent' and 'Secunia Update Agent' services are set to 'Started' under status and 'Automatic' under 'Startup type'

If that did not resolve the problem either, and you are using Windows XP, try these steps:

1) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI, or C:\Program Files (x86) for 64-bit systems), right-click PSI.exe, click Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for this program'

If that did not resolve the issue, then you can try

2) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services' (Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described in step 2).

As you can see, the latter part is more relevant to XP.

Here http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
you will also find a description of how psi works.

Hope the foregoing helps..........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: PSI 2.0 not working
Expert Contributor 1st Apr, 2011 17:36
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 1st Apr, 2011 17:37
Mogs ,

There are no detected drives showing in the background "settings" module in the first screenshot .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Apr, 2011 17:56
Last edited on 1st Apr, 2011 17:58
on 1st Apr, 2011 17:02, mogs wrote:
Hello again.
If you look at the following, you will see that there have been three versions of psi 2.0.......2.0.0.3001 being the latest :( also noted in my signature details below ).

I this the correct version?

on 1st Apr, 2011 17:02, mogs wrote:
When I referred earlier to requirements, it was with regard to configurement of settings as contained in the FAQ's, NOT the initial system requisites......copy as follows :-

The Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia's servers to complete a scan. To make this possible, you may need to change some of your Internet options.

To do this:

Open the control panel
Open Internet Options > Security tab. In Windows7/Vista you may need to click 'Network and Internet' to access the Internet Options
Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
Make sure that Active Scripting is enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
Press OK then Yes.
Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
Type in the following and press the Add button to add it to the Trusted Sites list:
https://*.secunia.com
Press Close, then OK.
Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.

If this has still not fixed your problem, go back to the Internet Options, then go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Security->Check for server certificate revocation.

The Secunia SSL certificate is signed by Thawte. If the Thawte site is not accessible from the computer, and if this option is selected, then the PSI will fail to connect to our site. So please remove the check at “Check for server certificate revocation". However, please understand that this means your computer would not notice if a site publisher revoked his/her certificate, which could indicate a theft or loss. If you are concerned about this, try the steps outlined below before this one to see if they solve the problem

If this has still not allowed you to open the PSI, please go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and ensure that both the 'Secunia PSI Agent' and 'Secunia Update Agent' services are set to 'Started' under status and 'Automatic' under 'Startup type'

If that did not resolve the problem either, and you are using Windows XP, try these steps:

1) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI, or C:\Program Files (x86) for 64-bit systems), right-click PSI.exe, click Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for this program'

If that did not resolve the issue, then you can try

2) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services' (Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described in step 2).

As you can see, the latter part is more relevant to XP.

Here http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
you will also find a description of how psi works.

Hope the foregoing helps..........regards,

As previously stated: I connect to the Secunia and Microsoft servers with no issues.

The scan does actually complete, although the status never indicates the scan progress.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Apr, 2011 17:59
on 1st Apr, 2011 17:36, Anthony Wells wrote:
Mogs ,

There are no detected drives showing in the background "settings" module in the first screenshot .

Anthony

Exactly.

That is the other issue, thank you Anthony.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Apr, 2011 19:39
@Anthony......thanks.

@Arctucas
Thanks for the screenshot.....my apologies.....missed the version number first time around !

I drew attention to the FAQ's for the reason that there have been some changes made to them since previous versions.....long time psi users have sometimes needed to make a change, even tho' previous versions had worked perfectly for them. Some have progressed thro' the versions one by one.....others have made "the great leap" and found problems.
To recap then....psi scans seemingly : the icon isn't working as it should, and the drive/s aren't being detected.
If you're certain settings are properly configured to allow psi to work;
I think I'd be inclined to try a re-install, and let it remove the previous version.....clearing out the temp. files/browser cache before doing so.

Hope this helps.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 1st Apr, 2011 20:05

Hello again Mogs ,

I too would go for a reinstall even if the current version 2.0.0.3001 is installed .

I would also be sure that @Arctucas ensures this bit of the FAQ#3 , as there is a server connection problem somewhere as the GUI is not displaying correctly :-

""If this has still not allowed you to open the PSI, please go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and ensure that both the 'Secunia PSI Agent' and 'Secunia Update Agent' services are set to 'Started' under status and 'Automatic' under 'Startup type'""

also bear this old thread from @Arctucas in mind , when KIS was the problem :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/554...

Have a pleasant weekend .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 1st Apr, 2011 20:06
I have done all that.

Unfortunately, it appears that the only version of PSI that works for me is 1.5.0.2.

I suppose I will revert to it, although the scanning is ridiculously slow.

Thank you for attempting to help me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Apr, 2011 20:11
Last edited on 1st Apr, 2011 20:12 Yes Anthony, I remember that quite well.

That issue was never resolved.

I thought I might try the new version, and although PSI now connects to the Secunia servers, it appears another issue has appeared. I have done two re-installations.

As I mentioned mogs, I am going to use 1.5.0.2 until such time as a version that works for me is released.

Thanks for you assistance.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Apr, 2011 21:06
@Anthony.....thanks once again !

@Arctucas

Well, having looked at the previous thread ( that drawn attention to by Anthony );
it does seem that the original problem persists....you are still using KIS then ? I'm just sorry that we don't appear to have gotten any further....it seems like the blocks are on somewhere. I had an instance once, whenever I updated I had to re-configure my firewall permissions....whereas, usually and since, the permission carries over from one version to the next.....no doubt you've already checked that out thoroughly of course ?
The other thing is that I use a Registry Scanner before/between and after any installs.....I respect others viewpoints ( having the advantage of more tech. knowledge would enable them to keep the Registry maybe as clean and tidy ): at the very least I'd use the Scanner in CCleaner.
All these things you've probably already tried.....but it is worth sometimes clutching at straws.....have you run CHKDSK recently to verify consistancy of the disk ? I've never had a screen freeze since I made a habit of it.
Well, good luck anyrate....here is the link for the Changelog ( if you havn't got it bookmarked ): formal announcements don't always accompany minor updates :-

Regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Apr, 2011 23:48
The issue that I was having from the other thread is not the problem here, I believe, since the connection to the Secunia servers takes place, the GUI loads. That did not happen with the previous 2.0 version.

Actually, the new version does appear to work. I do get a 100% score.

It is only that, as I said, no drives are listed, and although the scan seems to take place (I do get results), there is no indication that it is running or that it has completed.

To answer your questions:

Yes, I am still using KIS.

Yes, I do run registry cleaning (CCleaner and jv16) between installs.

But, no matter, I will just use 1.5.0.2 until maybe version 3 or whatever.

Thanks for your help, sorry to waste your time.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Apr, 2011 09:33
@Arctucas

Left on the Dashboard psi 2.0......Configuration/Settings.....have you checked the boxes ? Have you tried "toggling" any of the settings ? Have you got any Ignore rules in place ? I have all the boxes ticked apart from Prompt Before and Create Log File.
You didn't mention whether you ran CHKDSK....sometimes it does detect orphaned/lost files and discrepancies with indexes.....it might help.
I'd try just about anything, being as you say, you have got on a bit further. There's a Memory Diagnostic Tool in Windows 7....I think....the same as in Vista...it runs two tests and will report via Probs,Reports and Solutions.

If you are however sure you wish to leave it there : as you are the originator of the thread, you can close it by pressing Accept. That will prevent reminder e mails and further tag on posts........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 2nd Apr, 2011 10:12

Hi again :) ,

The GUI loading is good and it shows the results of the "last" completed scan to be found on the Secunia PSI servers ; I think that is the 1.5.0.2 scan you are seeing . This would imply that the psi.exe is working OK for both 1.5.0.2 and 2.0.0.3001 .

The 2.0.x is not displaying drives , scan running and that scan's results as it never finishes or rather it never starts ; to me , it implies that there is a problem with the psia.exe and possibly/probably the sua.exe not reaching the servers . These processes are additional since 1.5.0.2 got through the KIS problem .

They need to be checked as enabled on boot as described in the FAQ and they must be set to pass the KIS firewall or whatever .

There is certainly a server connection problem , in my opinion , probably caused by KIS , if a couple of re-installs , Checkdisk , Temp file cleaning , etc., and correct settings from the FAQ make no difference .

Hope that helps .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 2nd Apr, 2011 17:25
I believe I managed a 'solution'.

I have set KIS to not scan the PSI network traffic.

This does allow the scan to work.

However, I do not feel this is a proper resolution, and defeats the purpose of an Internet Security Suite application.

What KIS is seeing in the PSI network activity, I have no idea, and would not begin to speculate upon. The fact remains, however, that KIS appears to find something it does not view as legitimate. Whether this is true or not, again, I have no idea.

Hopefully Secunia will take the initiative to work with Kaspersky Labs to address the situation so that the two applications work in harmony.

Therefore, I wish to close this thread, and will not be replying further.

Thanks to mogs and Anthony.

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability