xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Auto update does not work...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
secuniaftw Auto update does not work...
Member 7th Apr, 2011 10:15
Ranking: 0
User Since: 7th Apr, 2011
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 7th Apr, 2011 10:24

My problem : Auto update does not work...

I'm using the latest Secunia on at least 4 computers (2 XP Pro, 1 XP Home, 1 Windows 7) but none of them manages to auto update the "auto-updatable software" via Secunia PSI (such as FF, Foxit Reader, Flash plugin etc)

If there's a new security vuln., I always end up installing the patches manually, but not before waiting couple of days - 1 week to see if PSI will update automatically at a later stage or eventually. But it never does.
The status message, as I remember it, simply says "No autoupdate has been applied yet.." or similar.

Three of the PC's use Comodo firewall (XP) and 1 uses W7 built-in firewall. PSI has fully opened access to the internet on all machines.

What can be done to remedy the problem?

I won't post the the PSI log file since it has been overfilled with some error dated between 6-7 April, I guess the recent problem with "0% score"...

mogs RE: Auto update does not work...
Expert Contributor 7th Apr, 2011 13:44
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
When you refer to security vulnerabilities as not being patched automatically.....all in the latest release of psi.....so it is psi that is informing you of the vulnerabilities ? Or are you referring to bug-fix/cosmetic updates which you've found elsewhere...which it is not psi's purpose to patch ?
Tho' programs may be "auto-updateable" it does not mean that psi will update if the patch will not improve the security of the program.
All the foregoing is written without having looked into any recent changes with regard to the programs that you refer to.....perhaps you could be more specific with the file paths to the examples, as and when you notice them.....it may help someone to be of assistance.
Regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
secuniaftw RE: Auto update does not work...
Member 7th Apr, 2011 14:46
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Apr 2011
Last edited on 7th Apr, 2011 14:48
on 7th Apr, 2011 13:44, mogs wrote:
Hello.
When you refer to security vulnerabilities as not being patched automatically.....all in the latest release of psi.....so it is psi that is informing you of the vulnerabilities ? Or are you referring to bug-fix/cosmetic updates which you've found elsewhere...which it is not psi's purpose to patch ?
Tho' programs may be "auto-updateable" it does not mean that psi will update if the patch will not improve the security of the program.
All the foregoing is written without having looked into any recent changes with regard to the programs that you refer to.....perhaps you could be more specific with the file paths to the examples, as and when you notice them.....it may help someone to be of assistance.
Regards,

Hi, thanks for reply.
Yes, it is Secunia PSI that notifies me of the any newly discovered vulnerability(s) either during the weekly scheduled scan or manual scan.
I usually notice I need to apply patches when I look at the taskbar where PSI agent is running.

Most of them are being rated highly critical. Foxit Reader, Adobe Flash, Firefox (when I had the 3.6x version. It seems version 4.x doesn't have AU available),
well, all software that are marked as "AU" in the list should update automatically. Disabling and re-enabling the AutoUpdate doesn't help either, as some other older post suggested.
If I choose to manually update the software(s), I get either an executable popping up for download or redirected to the vendor's site.

I have tried to re-install the PSI software but still no joy.

Thanks again.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
DHC-22 RE: Auto update does not work...
Member 7th Apr, 2011 16:36
Score: 9
User Since: 10th Jun 2010
NOTE ONLY DOES AUTO UPDATE NOT WORK I CAN'T UPDATE

My two computers
On Windows 7 laptop, a Windows Update that PSI says is available does not and has not appear in the endless efforts I've made to update. It simply is not there in the Update window after I click "Check for new updates." This has gone on for weeks.
Then there is this truly weird cURL.7X situation. Again, PSI does not auto update and when I follow the link I land at a sales window that has an endless array of cURL products. There certainly no distinct update visible to download. There is rather a madhouse of products that are advertized.

The Windows XP computer only has the same cURL 7X. problem described in the above Windows 7 account.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Auto update does not work...
Expert Contributor 7th Apr, 2011 16:37
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@secunia ftw

And it's definately version 2.0.0.3001 of psi you are using in all cases.....found by right clicking on the taskbar icon, and then About ? Reading thro' your post again that does seem very likely....as you say; you have again tried re-installing.
Have you read thro' the FAQ's recently to ascertain that all settings are configured aright ( they too have been amended in some instances, and with some additional info for XP users )?http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
It is the first time I've come across the problem whereby all your computers are scanning and showing results but not auto updating. It seems likely that some aspect of your security set up may be causing the problem.
I would suggest that you may be better advised to contact Support, support@secunia.com by e mailing them direct with your findings....as you may be aware, they are oft busy elsewhere at the moment....and so may be unlikely to pick up on this thread.
Sorry I can't be of more assistance......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Apr, 2011 19:16
on 7th Apr, 2011 16:36, DHC-22 wrote:
NOTE ONLY DOES AUTO UPDATE NOT WORK I CAN'T UPDATE

My two computers
On Windows 7 laptop, a Windows Update that PSI says is available does not and has not appear in the endless efforts I've made to update. It simply is not there in the Update window after I click "Check for new updates." This has gone on for weeks.
Then there is this truly weird cURL.7X situation. Again, PSI does not auto update and when I follow the link I land at a sales window that has an endless array of cURL products. There certainly no distinct update visible to download. There is rather a madhouse of products that are advertized.

The Windows XP computer only has the same cURL 7X. problem described in the above Windows 7 account.

Sorry to hear about your issues..
RE: cURL - yeah their site a true mess. I've stayed away from that update though...seems it's not that urgently critical.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Apr, 2011 19:19
on 7th Apr, 2011 16:37, mogs wrote:
@secunia ftw

And it's definately version 2.0.0.3001 of psi you are using in all cases.....found by right clicking on the taskbar icon, and then About ? Reading thro' your post again that does seem very likely....as you say; you have again tried re-installing.
Have you read thro' the FAQ's recently to ascertain that all settings are configured aright ( they too have been amended in some instances, and with some additional info for XP users )?http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
It is the first time I've come across the problem whereby all your computers are scanning and showing results but not auto updating. It seems likely that some aspect of your security set up may be causing the problem.
I would suggest that you may be better advised to contact Support, support@secunia.com by e mailing them direct with your findings....as you may be aware, they are oft busy elsewhere at the moment....and so may be unlikely to pick up on this thread.
Sorry I can't be of more assistance......regards,

Yeah, I'm using the latest PSI version.
The setup for the XP machines and W7 box isn't that eye-catching imo.. just using the boxes as regular user, in some cases using Software Restriction Policy (not on W7), there are no particular error messages in the event logs either.

I will read up on the FAQ section and see if I can find anything to make it work.
Thanks for your kind efforts!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
headwise RE: Auto update does not work...
Member 9th Apr, 2011 03:07
User Since: 8th Apr 2011
Last edited on 9th Apr, 2011 03:08
Try to restart then you can uninstall setup.
[
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+