Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Unable To Launch

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
abyssoft Unable To Launch
Member 11th Apr, 2011 23:57
Ranking: 0
User Since: 2nd Jul, 2009
System Score: 100%
Yes I followed the FAQ and that did not help.

When attempting to launch it throws a DEP Error, so I turned off DEP for PSI and still it would not launch, throws an exception in User32.dll

For the first time ever I am considering Uninstalling. it is sad to see this once great product become so unwieldy and un-user friendly. This will put a lot of people off of using it.

Post "RE: Unable To Launch" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: Unable To Launch
Expert Contributor 12th Apr, 2011 10:05
Score: 2454
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hi ,

This used to be a problem/bug in earlier versions ; which version are you using ??

The latest version is 2.0.0.3001.

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Unable To Launch
Member 12th Apr, 2011 10:22
Hi,

Have you tried reinstalling the program?
http://secunia.com/PSISetup.exe
Was this reply relevant?
+0
abyssoft RE: Unable To Launch
Member 13th Apr, 2011 08:11
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Jul 2009
yes I've uninstalled/reinstalled and the version is indeed 2.0.0.3001 and when I download from the site that the version it gives me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Apr, 2011 12:41
Last edited on 13th Apr, 2011 12:41 Hi,

Try opening the PSI and let it crash (about) 5 times in a row. This should disable DEP mode, which would allow you to run the program anyway.

Has this resolved the problem
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Ed Misk RE: Unable To Launch
Member 15th Apr, 2011 16:57
User Since: 19th Sep 2010
Hi
I'm having the same problem.
I reinstalled PSI and tried to launch 5+ times and no luck. Running reinstalled newest version on XP, and PSI worked for years on earlier versions. I have tried turning off "Handwriting Recognition" on Languages tab, which worked in the past when this problem happened, but this time PSI does not load when I hit the icon in the task bar. It appears briefly then disappears. Can you please advise?
Thx.
Ed
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Unable To Launch
Expert Contributor 15th Apr, 2011 17:19
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Hello Ed.

It's not clear from your post whether you are aware or not...or have checked the settings in the NEWER FAQ's here :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
Note the paragraphs towards the end of same which particularly apply to XP.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Apr, 2011 21:55
Yes I have followed that guidance in the FAQ concerning XP I'm still get DEP violations
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Apr, 2011 04:28
@abyssoft
Did you clear out temp. files/browser cache before installing ? Did you possibly use a Registry Scanner too......at the very least, the one available with CCleaner ? Have you tried running CHKDSK recently to ascertain consistancy of the disc....check files/indexes etc...?
When you did install, did you let it remove any previous version detected ? I often think of psi as one of the most susceptible programs to other conflicts and inconsistancies.
Hope this helps........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Ed Misk RE: Unable To Launch
Member 16th Apr, 2011 19:35
User Since: 19th Sep 2010
Hi,
I am getting it to open and display now. But it says I have not run a scan since January and I cannot manually do so. My problem seems to be in getting an abort message. PSI runs for 4-6 seconds then aborts. I have followed the steps below and no resolution....

RE: Scan aborted message
8th Apr, 2009 23:03
Score: 247
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
You could try this:
The Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia servers to complete its scanning. However, if you have configured
the security settings of your Internet Explorer, the Secunia PSI may be prevented from getting the scan results. To receive
your scan results, you need to do some changes to your Internet options.
To do this:
a. Open Internet Explorer.
b. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security tab.
c. Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
d. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
e. Make sure that Active Scripting is Enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
f. Press OK then Yes.
g. Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
h. Look at the bottom of the page and take the tick from the box marked"Require server verification(HTTPS)for all site zones" then type in the following and press the Add button to add them to the Trusted Zone Sites list:
http:*.secunia.com
https:*.secunia.com
i. Press Close
j. Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results
Both sites will now be OK
Good luck & regards,
wr

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th Apr, 2011 21:12
Ed.
Please note the latter paragraphs contained in the following :-

Open the control panel
Open Internet Options > Security tab. In Windows7/Vista you may need to click 'Network and Internet' to access the Internet Options
Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
Make sure that Active Scripting is enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
Press OK then Yes.
Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
Type in the following and press the Add button to add it to the Trusted Sites list:
https://*.secunia.com
Press Close, then OK.
Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.

If this has still not fixed your problem, go back to the Internet Options, then go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Security->Check for server certificate revocation.

The Secunia SSL certificate is signed by Thawte. If the Thawte site is not accessible from the computer, and if this option is selected, then the PSI will fail to connect to our site. So please remove the check at “Check for server certificate revocation". However, please understand that this means your computer would not notice if a site publisher revoked his/her certificate, which could indicate a theft or loss. If you are concerned about this, try the steps outlined below before this one to see if they solve the problem

If this has still not allowed you to open the PSI, please go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and ensure that both the 'Secunia PSI Agent' and 'Secunia Update Agent' services are set to 'Started' under status and 'Automatic' under 'Startup type'

If that did not resolve the problem either, and you are using Windows XP, try these steps:

1) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI, or C:\Program Files (x86) for 64-bit systems), right-click PSI.exe, click Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for this program'

If that did not resolve the issue, then you can try

2) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services' (Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described in step 2).

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Apr, 2011 22:51
responses in bold

Did you clear out temp. files/browser cache before installing ? yes
Did you possibly use a Registry Scanner too......at the very least, the one available with CCleaner ? yes - IOBIT Advanced system care
Have you tried running CHKDSK recently to ascertain consistancy of the disc....check files/indexes etc...? yes - no errors
When you did install, did you let it remove any previous version detected ? yes, even uninstalled rebooted, cleaned reg, rebooted again and then reinstall and repeated through the guidance in the FAQ to ensure compliance

I am still left with DEP errors even when I turn DEP off for PSI SECUNA. Once I get the DEP error any attempt to launch the UI results in a quick screen flash.
Nothing seems to be working, I have in the past recommended this product to many people, I am starting to doubt the wisdom of my recommendation.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Apr, 2011 22:53
RE: mogs

Reposting the same thing as is present in the FAQ and listed in numerous other threads is not resolving this issue. Guidance above and beyond what has so far been given is needed.

I am making a resolution at this point that if i am unable to get PSI to run as expected by end of Month I will uninstall and no longer recommend the product.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Apr, 2011 23:11
@abbeysoft

It has very often been the case that users have sometimes missed some para/aspect/point contained in the the FAQ's and dependant 'pon particular threads, sometimes specific emphasis has been necessary. The vast majority of users do find a resolution. It helps to confirm/establish what has been done/checked.
I can understand your frustration....I don't wish to become a target for it....I'm sorry that I've not been able help you resolve the matter.
I have DEP/PSI and Vista without any error other than the latest unresolved issues in the 3002 version. Good luck and regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Apr, 2011 23:17
Last edited on 18th Apr, 2011 23:37
Hi All ,

It seems that Ed Misk has a different problem to the original one posted by @abyssoft which is causing confusion - at least to me .

I suggest that Ed creates his own thread (see lhs column of this page) and reposts his problem there .

@abyssoft ,

You do not actually say whether you have followed up Emil Petersen's suggestion near the start of your thread to crash the programme several (at least 5 times) which should disable DEP ; have you tried this ?? You refer to XP without actually specifying your OS ; is it XP SP3 ??

EDIT : This is the last main thread dealing with your problem where there is some emphasis on the two XP settings that are in the FAQ referred to by Mogs . Have you seen this one before ?? :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/740...

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2011 00:35
on 18th Apr, 2011 23:17, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hi All ,

It seems that Ed Misk has a different problem to the original one posted by @abyssoft which is causing confusion - at least to me .

I suggest that Ed creates his own thread (see lhs column of this page) and reposts his problem there .

@abyssoft ,

You do not actually say whether you have followed up Emil Petersen's suggestion near the start of your thread to crash the programme several (at least 5 times) which should disable DEP ; have you tried this ?? You refer to XP without actually specifying your OS ; is it XP SP3 ??

EDIT : This is the last main thread dealing with your problem where there is some emphasis on the two XP settings that are in the FAQ referred to by Mogs . Have you seen this one before ?? :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/740...

Anthony

I have done all of listed in the thread. Still get the same issue. Once the PSI gets the error I only get a quick flash when trying to run it unless I reboot again.

Are there any known conflicts with Eset NOD32 v4?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2011 01:01
dug in the system event viewer and found this

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: (100)
Event ID: 1000
Date: 4/15/2011
Time: 1:57:24 PM
User: N/A
Computer: GLW-NS-DEV
Description:
Faulting application psi.exe, version 2.0.0.3001, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x038f244c.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 70 73 69 ure psi
0018: 2e 65 78 65 20 32 2e 30 .exe 2.0
0020: 2e 30 2e 33 30 30 31 20 .0.3001
0028: 69 6e 20 75 6e 6b 6e 6f in unkno
0030: 77 6e 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 wn 0.0.0
0038: 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 .0 at of
0040: 66 73 65 74 20 30 33 38 fset 038
0048: 66 32 34 34 63 f244c
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2011 09:07
Hi,

Please try to reset internet explorer as explained here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Then, try to follow the steps in item #s3 of our FAQ (http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...)

Has this resolved the issue?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Apr, 2011 12:35

Hi @abyssoft ,

In addition to what Emil P. has said , the "quick screen flash then nothing" you mention is a specific XP problem/bug for which the two XP workarounds in the FAQ #s3 were specifically designed ; @smurphdude was integral in finding the workarounds and his comment on 31st Jan , 2011 in the thread I linked is relevant . Resetting IE from scratch could thus be helpful .

Here is the original very specific workaround from smurpdude :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/624...

You still have not stated if you followed Emil's suggestion of recrashing the PSI several times to shutdown DEP , doins so by shutting the tray icon and restarting from the All Programs' icon/link rather than rebooting which you mention .

As far as Eset's NOD32 is concerned , there is nothing that I can recall even though Kaspersky is known to give occasional problems letting the psia.exe get through the Firewall settings with v 2.0 (before that it was the psi.exe from v1.5.x) ; that has not been linked to a DEP problem .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Apr, 2011 08:35
Last edited on 20th Apr, 2011 08:37
I HAVE DONE ALL SUGGESTIONS and have had no success

I don't know of any other way of saying yes I have followed and performed the suggested actions other then to say "I have performed the suggested actions"

If there is some secret way for me to say "I have performed the suggested actions" then please advise so we can move forward with troubleshooting

As we seem to be getting bogged down in red tape, I have revised my expectations. if we are unable to resolve by end of week I will uninstall perm.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Apr, 2011 13:32

Hi ,

There is another way and that is to answer specific questions in detail , which you do not do ; they are asked for a specific purpose to eliminate things in a logical sequence ; replying as "having done everything" , as Mogs mentioned , often is not the reality in my experience of this Forum .

If you are convinced that you have followed all the suggestions from Emil , Mogs , myself and the likes of smurphdude in the linked threads and your system is still throwing DEP violations then it looks very much like the idiosyncrasies of your particular system set up could be the problem . I have nothing else that I can add , perhaps you might get help from Ms !!

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Apr, 2011 16:09
My frustration is as you can tell off the chart rather then continue with the frustration I am opting to uninstall.

Why the change from a wonderful product to this nightmare is beyond me. V1.5 Worked beautifully and there wasn't all the hoops to try to jump through to try make it work. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. The average user wouldn't have a prayer in getting this to install and work correctly and since PSI is in part an effort to make the computing world a safer environment I would think keeping it simple would be important.

To the actual efforts I say thank you. To the rest I say this did not make for a good experience.

Good day and to those providing support good luck. To Secunia you might want to consider a major revamp of the product to something a little more user friendly if you are wanting to continue do your original mission statement.

PROBLEM NOT RESOLVED

you may close the thread

Result: Customer uninstalled PSI and abandoned use of Secunia products.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+