xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Picasa 2.x - Problem - Need Help....

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Google
And, this specific program:
Google Picasa 2.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
ZBIRD Picasa 2.x - Problem - Need Help....
Member 13th Apr, 2011 15:59
Ranking: 0
User Since: 23rd Mar, 2011
System Score: N/A
Hello,

I have Secuina PSI running on (2) computers in my home. One is at 100% and the second one is at 99%. The one I'm inquiring about is the 99% computer. I have upgraded it to Picasa 3.x and I have removed Picasa 2.x from the computer but it still shows that Picasa 2.x is on the computer and that it is a threat. I have tried to install the fix serveral times using Secunia PSI but nothing happens. It's like I'm in an endless loop.

I did see one other thread regarding a similar situation and I read that thread. Here is what I find when I open up Picasa 2.x and read the details:

Detected Instances:

C:\Backup\My Documents\My Pictures\New Folder\11-20-08\Picasa2.exe, version 2.5.0.0

C:\Backup\My Documents\Havenstone\2090 Vicarage Lane\Tile Photos\Picasa2\Picasa2.exe, version 2.7.37.36

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Havenstone\2090 Vicarage Lane\Tile Photos\Picasa2\Picasa2.exe, version 2.7.37.36

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\New Folder\11-20-08\Picasa2.exe, version 2.5.0.0

My options are to ignore these or to open the folders. I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Can anyone offer me any suggestions as to how I can eliminate Picasa 2.x and get my computer to 100%

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Gary

Anthony Wells RE: Picasa 2.x - Problem - Need Help....
Expert Contributor 13th Apr, 2011 16:28
Score: 2418
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 13th Apr, 2011 16:31
Hi Gary ,

Looks like the first instance is a back up copy of the fourth (original) and the second a copy of the third .

The back up is on your "C" drive , so depending on how you created it/them , they may still be a vulnerability .

Quite why the Picasa 2 .exe is there in the original (and the back-up) , I cannot say .

At this stage , rather than ignore , open the folders/files and add "_old" (without the quotation marks) at the end of each file to rename it as ...\Picasa.exe_old ; this process is reversible asz long as you remember (write down) your changes made .

This will stop the PSI displaying the insecurity and the bad guys cannot use them either . See if you can still access all your photos .

Let us know how you get on .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ZBIRD RE: Picasa 2.x - Problem - Need Help....(1)
Member 14th Apr, 2011 13:10
Score: 0
User Since: 23rd Mar 2011
Anthony,

Thank you very much for your follow-up. I would like to try your suggestion but I am not as technical as you. I tried to figure out where to go to make the changes that you suggested but I was unsuccessful.

Do I go to Start, then Control Panel, and then the C: drive? Could you please provide me with the detailed process that I need to follow in order to add the _old to the files and I will do so.

Thank you for your assistance.

-Gary
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Apr, 2011 14:04

Hi Gary ,

You are lucky , I am as non-technical as it is possible to be ; so the "easy" way is to :-

1)click the [+] sign next (lhs) to the naughty programme displayed on the "Scan Results" page , then

2)you will see an expanded entry with two yellowish folders to the lhs of each detected instance , click the one without the red blob and (cross fingers)

3)you will/should see the file highlighted in blue in it's containing folder in an "Explorer" display ; be aware that sometimes a containing folder may highlight and you need to open it to find the file (there will be a + or -> beside the entry in the left pane of the display - depending on which version of Windows you are using** .

You can of course follow the file path yourself by opening Explorer and follow the listing ; on my XP SP3 system I click on Start and then "My Computer" rather than Control Panel . **Which OS are you running ??

Once you have the file in sight , left click it click it once to highlight it (if/as necessary) in blue then either a) left click it again once very slowly or b) right click it and select Rename in the menu : in either case the old name stays blue lit but is now in a white box ; be sure to note (write down) the old name exactly as it is . Now put the mouse cursor at the right end of the blue on the white inside the box - do not put the cursor on the blue part - now left click once and the box will be all white and the cursor will flash on and off and you can type in the extras ; do not leave a space between the old name and your added suffix. Press Enter and the job's a good 'un .

If you are not sure of anything , ask first :))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ZBIRD RE: Picasa 2.x - Problem - Need Help....
Member 15th Apr, 2011 00:05
Anthony,

I would like to answer your question before I proceed any further. The computer I am troubleshooting is using WIN XP Professional version 5.1.

I can find the files that you specify using Secunia and I can click on the file without the red blob and highlight it to turn it blue and then when I right click my options are cut, copy, paste but no rename.

Perhaps I can copy and paste the file extension and then perform the task that you suggested using Windows XP or Internet Explorer?

I will re-read your email again and try what you have outlined a second time this evening. I will certainly let you know when I'm successful.

Thank you for your assistance.

-Gary
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Apr, 2011 03:28
Anthony,

I re-read your post and tried again. I click on the correct folder to open the file (not the one with the red blob). I highlight the file extension so it is blue and then I take my cursor and place it in the white portion of the box where the file extension is but not on the blue portion and I right click. My options are - cut, copy, paste, or delete. There isn't a rename option which leads me to believe that I'm doing something incorrectly.

Same question as my earlier post - is there a way for me to copy the file extension and work with it elsewhere in Explorer? Maybe go to Control Panel and then folders and then paste the file extension there?

I feel like we are getting closer. Thanks for your help!

-GZ
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Apr, 2011 12:14

Hi Gary ,

Finding and highlighting the file is good , you then have to get it to show in the white box (the box has a heavy black outline) ; this is an either a) or b) thing not a both as I posted above :-

"""Once you have the file in sight , left click it once to highlight it (if/as necessary) in blue then either a) left click it again once very slowly or b) right click it and select "Rename" in the menu : in either case the old name stays blue lit but is now in a white box """

The menu with the rename option (which is one of many options) comes up by a right ckick directly with the mouse on any file whether it is highlighted or not (sorry I did not explain that :((

The precaution of not putting the cursor on the blue "in the white box" is to help prevent/reduce mistakes as you could delete/remove the original name by mistake ; that's why you need to write it down exactly as you see it , so you can retype it if you make a mistake .

Once you get the white box showing around the name , put the cursor on the white , left click and you should be able to type in the suffix.

See how you get on , but ask again if you come across something that is not clear to you . There is no rush , the "danger" from the old Picasa file is low , but is better sorted .

Copying and pasting and all that is not the way ; also before we finish I will need to explain something to you about Windows Explorer which is not the same as Internet Explorer - just stupid M$ naming two major things so they are easy to confuse if you are non-technical !!! We'll do that afterwards :)

See how you go .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 19th Apr, 2011 03:56
Anthony,

I had a co-worker show me how to do the rename and I now understand how to accomplish that process. I have to travel this week so I won't be able to pick back up on this until later this week.

I wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten about you and I appreciate your assistance.

I will get back to you shortly. Thanks.

-Gary
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Apr, 2011 11:49

Hi Gary ,

My next suggestion would have been to see if you had someone who could sit with you and explain "renaming" :)) Some/a few things you can work out for yourself , but in the main , I have needed a lot of help and explaining in person in order to do things like renaming on my PC ; it is not something you can guess at doing . In addition , my technical friends limit it me to showing me things simply on a "need to know" basis ; that means I have to ask first before I do complicated things :)) It works for me as I have not broken anything as yet (cross fingers) , well nothing important :)))

So always ask first , if you are not sure or have forgotten the correct procedure .

I look forward to hearing your progress .

A point to consider , you have a back up folder on your C drive ; do you have a back up which is not on your computer ?? The things which are very important to me - like special photos - I have copied onto DVD's and store them carefully ; that way if I break my computer , the things I treasure are safe .

Let us know how you are getting on .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability