Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Updates unrecognized on Vista 64 bit

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
mrmikel Updates unrecognized on Vista 64 bit
Member 15th Apr, 2011 13:29
Ranking: 8
User Since: 15th Apr, 2011
System Score: N/A
Windows update ran successfully on monster update 4/13. None of those updates recognized by PSI. Did Windows update again, nothing to get. Did full scan, no change.

Updates all list as successful in Windows Update.

Message is:

Quick Facts about Microsoft .NET Framework 2.xThis program was detected as Insecure, it is strongly recommended that you apply the latest security patch from the vendor of the program.

The version detected of Microsoft .NET Framework 2.x was 2.0.50727.4209 while the latest version including one or more security fixes is .

Note no listing of current version number at end of message.

Post "RE: Updates unrecognized on Vista 64 bit" has been selected as an answer.
mogs RE: Updates unrecognized on Vista 64 bit
Expert Contributor 15th Apr, 2011 14:02
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
I'm showing the same version as patched and secure on Vista 32bit.

Your install of psi looks to be today's date.....have you tried rebooting pc before trying a full scan ?

When updating Microsoft Applications, it is a good idea to keep in mind that some Microsoft Updates do not "kick in" until after a reboot. Therefore, it is recommended to try following this procedure when installing Microsoft Updates:

1) Check Microsoft Update: install all security-related patches
2) Reboot
3) Repeat step 1: repeat step 2 if anything was installed at this step
4) Run a full rescan with the PSI

Hope the foregoing is of some help....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mrmikel RE: Updates unrecognized on Vista 64 bit
Member 15th Apr, 2011 14:46
Score: 8
User Since: 15th Apr 2011
Restarted computer, scanned again and this time it took. Only program showing was new one, chrome. Had made no changes, but it is 100% now.

Install solution is unnecessary for chrome. All that is needed is to start it and it updates itself. It shows under about.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 15th Apr, 2011 15:13
@mrmikel

Glad you got sorted.
I'm fairly familiar with Chrome updates....Canary build sometimes has two a day !
Being as you say the Stable version is showing okay....that presumably means you've already removed the previous file/version manually, or Chrome is doin' it for itself ? It's often a problem reported on the forum.
While I think of it.....it may be an opportune time to mention.....it might be worth you noting for future reference that psi does not monitor Beta/Dev versions of programs....if you ever do decide to switch.
You may find it handy bookmarking the following ( if you havn't already done so ) :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

And the changelog for psi.....minor version updates aren't always accompanied by any other announcement.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

If the issue is now resolved ; as you are the originator of the thread, you have the option to close it, by selecting ACCEPT. This will lock the thread : preventing tag-on posts and reminder e mails.

Welcome to the forum...good luck and regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mrmikel RE: Updates unrecognized on Vista 64 bit
Member 15th Apr, 2011 15:30
Score: 8
User Since: 15th Apr 2011
When Chrome is reported on PSI, I just open Chrome and check about and find it is already updating. It isn't necessary to download it all over again as install solution has you do.

There seems to be something about Vista or the 64 bit version that causes other updates to not seem to take either sometimes, as in Flash updates. You run them and then check and it seems they are not installed. But after a restart they show.

It may be that Vista (and perhaps 7) install updates in a little more organized fashion than previous versions of Windows applying changed only after a restart instead of while the program is operating. Annoying, but probably more stable and secure.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 15th Apr, 2011 15:49
It's not so much the updating of Chrome that's a problem.....on the forum, it's often the case that users have updated but report that psi is still detecting an older version/file.....even with the Dev channel and Canary versions I use....I still have to remove the previous......Agreed, you need not follow the install provided....but you do need to remove the older/previous version to prevent it being detected again.
As regards rebooting after install of other programs....I've taken to doing it almost as a matter of habit/course.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer