Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: how to correctly delete leftover firefox 3.6.12 files

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
enigma41352 how to correctly delete leftover firefox 3.6.12 files
Member 16th Apr, 2011 17:45
Ranking: 0
User Since: 27th Nov, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 16th Apr, 2011 17:47

xp pro sp3 running firefox 4. psi version 2.0.0.3001

psi trying to upgrade to firefox 3.6.14. files detected at:

c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe

c:\program files\mozilla firefox\nsz4BC.tmp\firefox.exe.

add/remove shows only firefox 4 installed.

i'm not exactly sure of correct way to delete these files to get psi back to 100% and run firefox 4.

thanks.

Anthony Wells RE: how to correctly delete leftover firefox 3.6.12 files
Expert Contributor 16th Apr, 2011 20:02
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

As the files are not in the default location for the Ff programme , the link in the PSI to the 3.6.14 installer (the last security fix version - later versions are only bug fixes) will not update your 3.6.12 files and rather will reinstall 3.6.14 in place of your version 4.0 .

To rectify the problem , click the [+] at the left end of the insecure programme display : in the expanded display you will see two yellowish folder icons to the lhs of the detected instance pathway : select the one WITHOUT the red blob and this will/should go to the file highlighted in blue in an Explorer display : right click the file and select delete . Only delete the file shown in the path and NOT the containing folder(s) . If the PSI display does not update itself , run a new scan .

Hope that is clear , if not ask again .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
enigma41352 RE: how to correctly delete leftover firefox 3.6.12 files
Member 16th Apr, 2011 21:37
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Nov 2009
i clicked the [+]
in the expanded display, two entries were shown, both with two folder icons.
on the first entry (c:\docs&settings\all users\application data\mozilla firefox), i clicked the right icon and

this is the view i get in "mozilla firefox" (in the Explorer pane)...

- mozilla firefox-(highlighted in blue)

chrome
components
+ defaults
dictionaries
+ extensions
greprefs
modules
plugins
+ res
searchplugins
uninstall
+ updates

do i right click the highlighted "mozilla firefox" and choose "delete"?

and as to the second entry (c:\program files\mozilla firefox\nsz4BC.tmp\firefox.exe), right click the highlighted \nsz4BC.tmp\... file and choose "delete". correct?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: how to correctly delete leftover firefox 3.6.12 files
Expert Contributor 16th Apr, 2011 22:15
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Tricksy , as I do not have anything that relates to your first entry and I do not remember it as a default location - but you never know :(( It looks more like what I see in my Program Files folder ; but then again , I only have Ff 4.0 installed .

The folder/file highlighted should be in the left pane and it should have a [+] sign to the left : click this and you should see the Firefox.exe file version 3.6.12 somewhere in the right hand pane . this is what the PSI does not like and "could" be used by the bad guys and the thing to delete .

Can you see the .exe file ??

I cannot say whether deleting the entire highlighted "Mozilla Firefox" folder will affect your version 4.0 . The folder is not essential for the function of your XP system ; so if you wanted to see if it is just dross filling space you could right click it and select "Rename" , then add the suffix "_old" (without the quotation marks) directly to the end of the file name to read "Mozilla Firefox_old" and see if you have any problems ; it is reversible so be sure to note the original name (write it down exactly as you see it) . This is just housekeeping and not essential and I would leave it if you have any doubts .

The same should apply if you [+] expand the ..\nsz4BC.temp\.. folder to find the .exe file . Is it there in the right hand pane ??

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability