Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Flash Player not shown by OSI to be updated

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
This user no longer exists Flash Player not shown by OSI to be updated
Member 17th Apr, 2011 17:52
Ranking: -2
User Since: 1st Jan, 1970
System Score: N/A
I installed Adobe Flash Player 10.2.159.1 on 4/17/11 and Adobe says I have updated. I re-booted twice. IE 9 Add-in Manager says Flash player is 10.2.159.1. OSI still says I have the previous version and it's out of date. Any reason this could be true?

(After 300 website passwords, I'm Mad as Hell and not creating any more.)

This user no longer exists RE: Flash Player not shown by OSI to be updated
Member 18th Apr, 2011 10:07
Last edited on 18th Apr, 2011 10:08 Hi,

Do you have a check set at "Only show insecure programs"? If so, possibly you have both an updated and insecure version present, so while you already
have updated your flash, the old version continues to be detected.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mrtoad43 RE: Flash Player not shown by OSI to be updated
Member 18th Apr, 2011 19:28
Score: 1
User Since: 22nd Dec 2009
I found the same thing happened to me. However, I uninstalled adobe flash again. Then I re-booted the computer. Installed the new one and this time it worked. Maybe this will do it for you too. Let me know.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: Flash Player not shown by OSI to be updated
Handling Contributor 18th Apr, 2011 21:29
Score: 11736
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
REMOVE OLD ADOBE (FORMERLY MACROMEDIA) OCX FILES.

If Flash was running when an update was attempted it will not remove all of the old (and vulnerable) files.

To remove these files:

COMPLETELY EXIT (using Task Manager if necessary):

a. All Browsers.
b. Windows Messenger.
c. Incredimail
d. All Adobe products
e. PSI unless using Version 2.

Now navigate to here:

32 Bit Systems - C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash

64 Bit Systems - C:\Windows\sysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

In these locations there should only be one .OCX file which is currentlyFLASH10p.OCX - The latest stable version (10.2.159.1). Right click & select DELETE on any other.OCX files that are present.

If U want to double check Flash is working & the version installed click here: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Update 6 20:26 18/04/2011

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 19th Apr, 2011 04:52
Windows is 32-bit and there is no Macromed folder. Did code go thru FMEA? If not a code problem, then likey a processing issue produces a false negative.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th Apr, 2011 08:48
The default install location for Flash on a 32 Bit system is as stated:

32 Bit Systems - C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash

If it is not there what is the path to your Flash install?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 19th Apr, 2011 18:12
I checked in Win 7 Search that the entire C Drive was Indexed and that OCX files were included. A search finds 4 ocx files, but none are Flash10p.ocx or Flash10o.ocx. One of the 4 files found is ProductDemoActiveX.ocx, which is in the Flash folder with Flash10p.ocx

Program and Features still lists Adobe Flash Player 10.2.159.1 as installed.

I checked again with Windows Explorer and found Flash10o.ocx and Flash10p.ocx; the former installed on 4/11/2011 and the latter installed on 4/17/2011.

I deleted Flash10o.ocx and ran OSI; which no longer indicates an insecure version exists.

Based on the evidence, it appears that events have occurred that are not user responsibility. It's possible that in the haste to release two updates, the process did not work as expected on at least two (and maybe many more) computers.

I'll leave the issue about Windows 7 search not finding the files to another day, but if you have a suggestion please comment.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th Apr, 2011 18:17
Last edited on 19th Apr, 2011 18:44
Absolutely not. Unless U close all the programmes I have indicated in my post above Adobe does not remove the OCX file because they are in use.

U should only have one OCX and that is P. All others should be removed to be totally secure.

U may decide to purge all your Flash & start again - it does not take long. This is the method to employ:

Uninstall Flash using the uninstaller here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html SAVE IT TO DESKTOP

Before using the uninstaller COMPLETELY EXIT (just closing them is not sufficient) all these:

a. All Browsers.
b. Windows Messenger.
c. Incredimail.
d. Adobe Free Reader.
e. PSI unless using Version 2.

1. Download & SAVE these to desktop.
http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/curren...

& then here if U have any Gecko based browsers.

http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/curren...

2. The installer will appear on the desk top. THE IMPORTANT BIT - Before agreeing to install check these programmes are completely shut down (use the Task Manager if necessary to COMPLETELY EXIT the running process):
a. All Browsers.
b. Windows Messenger.
c. Incredimail.
d. All Adobe Products.
e. PSI - Unless using version 2

3. The new install will then remove all old files during the update process.
4. Complete a PSI rescan & all should be in order.
5. Delete the Flash installer file from the desktop.

If U want to double check Flash is working & the version installed click here: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Update 4 17:41 19/04/2011

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 20th Apr, 2011 00:33
I will believe your install process when Secunia verifies it. Otherwise, why do you think some applications require a re-boot after installation? And do you think programmers are only capable of coding to 1970 standards and concepts?

I can also say that all previous updates I did were done successfully, with the same results likely achieved by millions of other users. Can you imagine the disaster if hundreds of millions of windows users had to use this type of process to update any application?

Turning off real-time virus scanning for some application updates may be the only reliable advice to dispense, but thats depending on your anti-virus vendor.

I am already getting questions about this issue from my computer customers, so it appears that the issue is not islolated to my personal computers or test lab computers.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Apr, 2011 01:27
As we say in the UK U are talking "A load of Tommy Rot".

I gave you this link:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Did U not bother to read it? Adobe is saying exactly what I am saying.

Now search the Forum. Just see how many people have used this method with total success.

What has anti virus got to do with it? Why turn that off unless the Vendor clearly states it is necessary?

There are over 250,000 posts on this Forum about Adobe Flash so of course it is not isolated. The posters,like you are totally confused - the fact is some of us know how to fix it easily which is to EXIT ALL PROGRAMMES RUNNING FLASH BEFORE UNINSTALL OR INSTALL AS PER ADOBE INSTRUCTIONS.

Write to Secunia if you wish - support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+7
Member 20th Apr, 2011 02:13
The update was done without any application open. This was never an issue. The problem is not Secunia's. Secunia is only the messenger and correctly reporting Adobe's problem (if you read previous posts). Adobe Flash is an Adobe product that has been banned from Apple products by Steve Jobs, due to it's history of problems. Microsoft simply cheers whenever Flash fails because they want to increase usage of their product.

Adobe Flash is updated by a process intiated by Adobe. If the update process does not automatically close these applications or warn that it cannot continue without the user closing them, then they are doomed to continue failing. Even the programmers of Flash are smart enough to include an intelligent update process despite their other alleged failings.

You may fix Adobe's problems any way you want, but simply deleting the file they failed to remove is the easiest solution.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Apr, 2011 08:13
Of course deleting the left behind file is this easiest way. Trouble was you could not find it/them & appear to have no idea where the default locations for Flash are in Windows despite your alleged PC expertise.

My final solution,which is rarely used these days, it is for people like you who do not appear to fully understand Adobe's crude methods of updating their free products & get frustrated. The Adobe uninstaller/installer DOES NOT include the ability to auto close any programme in use - that is what causes the issues.

Difference is, others are grateful for the opportunity to correct an issue easily while you revert to waffling.

For your information OCXo, which you finally managed to find is Flash BETA. You must have installed that. If you are a BETA tester you should have the knowledge to fix Flash yourself without recourse to a Forum wasting mine & other people time.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 20th Apr, 2011 09:29
Last edited on 20th Apr, 2011 09:30 Hi,

@steve_pw_is_bs

You can not always except official responses to every problem, especially not those asked very frequently.

While Maurice does not officially represent Secunia, he is a respected and senior member of this community. This is reflected in this "Handling Contributor" status, which is one-of-a-kind and given to him directly by Secunia.

If you do not wish to comply with instructions given to help you, I'm afraid there is little anyone can do to remedy your situtation. As Maurice said, you are free to compare the suggested solution to the (successfull) attempts by many others to solve similar issues. As for some programmers only being able to work by 1970's standards, no comments.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Apr, 2011 18:54
Emil,

Thanks for your comments. There is a reason that Flash files and folders were not visible to me, but all these details are related to Windows and Flash's update process. Hopefully this was a one time anomoly.

Secunia does an excellent job and fills a need that unfortunately exists. The issue as I see it is that software today can be updated by computer users with one click of the mouse if update processes are operating correctly. This is the case with Flash when it is working as expected, but despite best efforts regressions do occur.

I've been involved in engineering research and development of complex systems and also managed the other side of the product by directing projects to resolve failures and reduce cost by using Six Sigma tools. Communication between team members is always critical. Avoiding speculation, obtaining facts, and increasing understanding by asking questions increases the success rate of every effort. Sometimes the process of understanding the problem just takes a little longer. In this case I think we have reached that point.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Apr, 2011 18:58
Maurice,
Sorry that you have to go through so much when you are trying to help others. I just wanted to let you know that I have taken your advice and sent the links to others I know. Thank you for your efforts and research. You have saved many a lot of time. Even though some people appear not to appreciate that.
You have a nice day and thank you again. We need people like you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Apr, 2011 23:30
Last edited on 20th Apr, 2011 23:43
@mrtoad43,
Pleased U and your friends got some benefit from it. Keep the solution handy.

This statement from @steve pw is bs is nothing more than a pipe dream if he thinks Adobe will ever change their ways to meet his theory of one click updates.

"Thanks for your comments. There is a reason that Flash files and folders were not visible to me, but all these details are related to Windows and Flash's update process. Hopefully this was a one time anomaly."

On a lighter note I hope U are aware that Adobe have a history of producing nice gadgets at Easter & Christmas time. They have some for sale that U and your friends may be tempted to buy.

1. A chocolate heat shield for a Weber Barbecue.

2. A glass ashtray for use on the handlebars of a Harley-Davison motorbike. To enhance sales a silver one was also produced.

3. A concrete lined parachute for US & UK Special Forces to allow for rapid descent thus avoiding incoming sniper fire. Once again they excelled & produced a Mk 2 version which displayed the Google/Doubleclick Logo. Allegedly this speeded up the descent but had one major flaw - the concrete hit the soldiers on the head on landing and buried them to a depth of 6 feet never to be seen again.

U are in for a real treat this Easter - My spy in Adobe (they roam freely within their empire because U may have noticed their general regard for security is appalling) has informed me they intend making a full size,authentically painted,lead duck for use by children in their local rivers,ponds & lakes. Swimming lessons are not included in the deal.

As U can see they are inventive but a bit like their update procedures are not practical for general use & should be regarded as novelty items.

Have fun. Thank you for the comments.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 21st Apr, 2011 18:07
Maurice,
Hi,
I get the idea behind your reply. Thank you again for all you do.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability