Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Scan stalls and holds at 68%

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
maisy Scan stalls and holds at 68%
Member 18th Apr, 2011 17:56
Ranking: 6
User Since: 8th Nov, 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 18th Apr, 2011 18:09

PSI 2.0 does not easily start a scan. Clicking on Start does not commence a scan at first and then, if it does start, it stalls at 68% completion of the scan when it reaches the Collecting Information from Files portion of the scan.

I have re-downloaded 2.0 in case the software got corrupted. The new install does the same thing.

I aborted the scans (original and reinstall) at 15 minutes. It never takes that long to complete a scan.

This is a XP machine that is completely up to date on its AV/AS and programs according to the peviously successful scan..

PSI 2.0 had been working properly until now.

I have checked the Viper firewall settings, etc. and can not find any apparent settings that might be causing the problem.

mogs RE: Scan stalls and holds at 68%
Expert Contributor 18th Apr, 2011 21:43
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Last edited on 18th Apr, 2011 21:44
Hello maisy.
Did you clear out temp. files/browser cache before install ? Did you let Secunia detect/remove the previous version. Have you checked thro' settings in the FAQ's here :
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Note the latter paras which are applicable to XP.
Open the control panel
Open Internet Options > Security tab. In Windows7/Vista you may need to click 'Network and Internet' to access the Internet Options
Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
Make sure that Active Scripting is enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
Press OK then Yes.
Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
Type in the following and press the Add button to add it to the Trusted Sites list:
https://*.secunia.com
Press Close, then OK.
Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.

If this has still not fixed your problem, go back to the Internet Options, then go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Security->Check for server certificate revocation.

The Secunia SSL certificate is signed by Thawte. If the Thawte site is not accessible from the computer, and if this option is selected, then the PSI will fail to connect to our site. So please remove the check at “Check for server certificate revocation". However, please understand that this means your computer would not notice if a site publisher revoked his/her certificate, which could indicate a theft or loss. If you are concerned about this, try the steps outlined below before this one to see if they solve the problem

If this has still not allowed you to open the PSI, please go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and ensure that both the 'Secunia PSI Agent' and 'Secunia Update Agent' services are set to 'Started' under status and 'Automatic' under 'Startup type'

If that did not resolve the problem either, and you are using Windows XP, try these steps:

1) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI, or C:\Program Files (x86) for 64-bit systems), right-click PSI.exe, click Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for this program'

If that did not resolve the issue, then you can try

2) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services' (Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described in step 2).

Hope it helps.....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
maisy RE: Scan stalls and holds at 68%
Member 19th Apr, 2011 20:26
Score: 6
User Since: 8th Nov 2009
Mogs;

Thank you for your recommendations.

As of today, the 2.0 will not scan when the "button" is clicked.

I followed each instruction, testing as I executed each. The problem continues -- in fact, now I can not trigger a Scan. Clicking on the Scan "button" does not start the scan. I have uninstalled the 2,0 software and reinstalled 2.0 from the site. That did not work.

All other operations appear to work okay - the interface downloads, all of the internal links work.

So, the program which stalled now does not start.

This problem seems to have started after the last Microsoft (massive) patch session. I might be wrong, but it seems that lots of third-party software problems appear after such episodes from Microsoft.

What do you suggest at this time?

Thank you for your time and thoughts.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 19th Apr, 2011 22:02
Mogs;

All of a sudden, while working in another window, PSI popped up, still stuck at 68% atr about 6 minutes of scan time. I let it run and when I returned much later, the scan was complete (at 100% up-to-date).

I do not know what had happened. Perhaps one of the files it was trying to examine was corrupt and somehow got repaired so that the scan could continue. I do not know if that happens, but it seems almost logical. It could be that reloading 2,0 fixed it ...

Thanks again for your support. It is appreciated.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Expert Contributor 19th Apr, 2011 23:45
Hello maisy.

A new version has been released today...when you re-installed did you get it ? Found by right clicking on the task-bar icon and then clicking on About. 2.0.0.3003 . Maybe that did the trick for you. At least if it's all systems go...even tho' it may be a little jittery at present....it usually does settle down and improve, from my experience. I've found that even defragging before scanning with psi can help...everything neat and tidy then for it to find possibly.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Apr, 2011 00:12
Last edited on 20th Apr, 2011 00:15
Mogs;

I have the 2.0.0.3001 version. I have not received updates and this version was downloaded today as we were communicating.

PSI works okay now but is a little less responsive to the click commands.

Again, thank you for your guidance.

Regards,

Dan
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Apr, 2011 00:23
Last edited on 20th Apr, 2011 00:25
Last time I looked the new version wasn't even showing in the Changelog....I got the info first from one of Emil Petersen's posts.....in fact, the last post in the following thread if you wish to try it :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/819...

It downloaded better for me than the last one as well...havn't run it yet tho' : it will have to wait till the morning.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Apr, 2011 14:28
Mogs;

Thank you for the info.

Because I am not an expert on this stuff, I will wait for Secunia's notification of the update.

I still wonder if a lot of problems that pop up in third-party software has to do with Microsoft tweaking its OS. My problem appeared after the recent major update was installed.

All sorts of subtle things show up after such updates such as changing desktop shortcut icons to changes in menu wording, etc. I wonder how an average computer user keeps a computer fully operational.

Regards
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Apr, 2011 17:46
Last edited on 20th Apr, 2011 18:49
Hello Dan.
If you look at the following thread you will see from Emil Petersen's post and Maurice's ( last couple of posts ) that the new version has fixed most bugs inherant in previous versions. Tantamount to an official recommendation. If you're using Windows 7 tho' there's possibly a hitch with the auto-uninstall of the previous version detected, tho' Maurice has also provided info with regard to it.
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/814...
This average Vista computer user has kept it going mostly with regular cleaning/scanning/defrag/CHKDSK etc...and with many thanks to the diversity of reading available on the forum from peers and betters !!
Keeping the Cyberclips thread running, also keeps me fairly well informed with regards to what's goin' on from a security standpoint....even if I don't always fully understand every whipstitch !!
The beauty of this forum is that there's not much..from what I can see of it...about computers that isn't touched upon at some time or another. Reading regularly can generally expand your knowledge of same with a hands on approach; rather than takin' in a lot of stuff you may never need.
Anyrate, hope you get sorted.....regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 20th Apr, 2011 22:14
I am using Xp. And plan to continue doing so for a long as possible.

Regards,

Dan

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability