Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Conflict with Webroot Anti-Virus and Spy Sweeper

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
jbacinti Conflict with Webroot Anti-Virus and Spy Sweeper
Member 27th Apr, 2011 16:17
Ranking: 0
User Since: 12th Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A
According to Webroot, PSI causes problems with the above software from them and tell me I have to uninstall PSI. Does anyone know anything about this?

Post "RE: Conflict with Webroot Anti-Virus and Spy Sweeper" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: Conflict with Webroot Anti-Virus and Spy Sweeper
Expert Contributor 27th Apr, 2011 17:31
Score: 2434
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

Some anti-malware programme(s) (vendors') have been known to detect the PSI as malware and need to be set appropriately ; on occasion others have claimed that there is a clash , whilst others make it difficult to get through a firewall or guard .

I do not remember Webroot specifically , but I think this has arisen with them before .

Personally , I would ask them to be much more specific as to the "problem/conflict" to enable Secunia to answer from their side .

I would also bear in mind that there are plenty of A/V and A/S malware detectors around but few "security patch" checkers ; both types of programme have a key role in keeping your machine safe .

Hope that helps .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
jbacinti RE: Conflict with Webroot Anti-Virus and Spy Sweeper
Member 27th Apr, 2011 19:15
Score: 0
User Since: 12th Jun 2009
Anthony,

I've sent off an email to Webroot per your suggestion. Stay tuned.

John
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Conflict with Webroot Anti-Virus and Spy Sweeper
Expert Contributor 27th Apr, 2011 20:42
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
There have been two other cases on the forum recently, tho' concerning Avast and Bleeping Computer.....might be of some help/explanation/worth reading....another link in my post in the following thread takes to Maurice's explanation :-
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/838...

Hope it's of some help......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Apr, 2011 21:00

Hello again ,

The Avast problem was that the PSI activity of digging in to read the system was reminiscent of "rootkit" activity to Avast's "over enthusiastic" heuristics and required a setting adjustment . This is "normal" sort of activity .

The "bleepingcomputer" item is really a "false positive" as if you look closely the incriminated file is "sau.exe" and not PSI's "sua.exe" ; but nevertheless worth checking out at the time as "renaming files is how the bad guys sometimes sneak in .

Kaspersky has come up with firewall embargoes before now and Comodo has been implicated on one occasion but such things are relatively few and far between .

A blanket ban by Webroot seems more radical !!

Ears are pricked for your tuning , John ; unless they crush when I fall asleep :))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jbacinti RE: Conflict with Webroot Anti-Virus and Spy Sweeper
Member 27th Apr, 2011 23:20
Score: 0
User Since: 12th Jun 2009
Follows is the response I received from Webroot: "We don't have the specifics of the conflict. All I can see is you have another active security product running. Which will interfere with Webroot running properly. Have you tried yet uninstalling the Secunia, and reinstalling Webroot to see if the issue has been resolved?"

I have not done the uninstall/reinstall only because the 2 programs have worked together for a few weeks now. The only "problem" I can see is perhaps the 2 of them were running together at the same time. Your thoughts Anthony?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 28th Apr, 2011 13:11

Hello John ,

I do not run Webroot but I understand it is one of the more agressive programmes that does not play well with other security programmes ; by which I mean those running an "active guard" and including behaviour/heuristic based as well as signature based modules . This is further exagerrated when they include anti-virus elements which will conflict ; even though that could be in the background until you are attacked : either way not good .

So only have one active guard running at any one time is to be recommended ; many people ignore this and some programmes are meant to play well together , probably they do , but you can never be sure .

You do not say what the conflict was that you experienced ; nor which other secutity systems , as in firewall , anti-virus and anti-malware you have installed , nor whether they are "active" or only used "on demand" .

In general terms , the PSI is not an "active" security guard and only reads files to collect specific meta data . As per the Avast situation that could raise a flag in the "guard" but is resolved by "allowing" the PSI processes to run (white listed) as necessary .

Aa automatic weekly PSI scan running at the same time as a full malware scan by Webroot (as opposed to it just being on guard) could cause conflict , that's possible . Did that happen ?? Did you start one when the other was running ??

I am sure Secunia will add further if necessary , but will need more info from you as I indicated , but in general I don't see specific conflict as such , rather more circumstance .

Let us know if you want to dig deeper .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability