Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 0 programs, 0 score

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Midnight_Voice PSI 0 programs, 0 score
Member 28th Apr, 2011 18:16
Ranking: 50
User Since: 1st Oct, 2010
System Score: 96%
I see this chestnut has reared its head again.

It happened to me in the last couple of days, and I believe it's what happens when the Secunia servers are temporarily unavailable, or sick.

When they come back up, so does your score, albeit possibly needing another scan to restore your score, though not always.

Anyone considering the merits of cloud computing should ponder this downside to having all your data elsewhere.

But having said that, even though PSI may understandably not be able to function normally when its servers are away with the fairies, what it does do (collapsing with an error message and/or startling all its users with all their program apparently having gone away) really is unacceptable, and I'm disappointed this hasn't been addressed in 2.0.0.3003.

Especially now PSI is supposed to be suitable for, and usable by, less technical users than version 1 was.

PSI really ought to be able to detect when it has lost its servers, do a clean failure mode with a user dialogue box instead of an unhandled error message, and even if it can't show the dashboard and scan results etc., not report a zero score from zero programs, but continue to display the program count from the last scan - which I am sure it could hold on the user's PC in an ini or somewhere.

Or say nothing at all about the program count, perhaps.

I look forward to progress in this area.

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz

Post "RE: PSI 0 programs, 0 score" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: PSI 0 programs, 0 score
Expert Contributor 28th Apr, 2011 19:36
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

M_V ,

Only guessing , but with all the differing reasons for internet connection problems and questioning how much data Secunia can/wish to store (at no cost) on each individual's machine and then display on a GUI which is only an interface with the server and know when and why to do that ........

Only guessing , but that is why they set up the Community Forum (to reduce support costs and provide a free/self-help service) and so to provide some voluntary bedside comfort from a helpful carer for the bewildered patient (user) when the servers are also sickly and bedridden :(((((

Still worth a try asking support to put it on the "wish" list or fairy tale !!

The server problem might explain your "wrong" - as in incorrect - Dashboard display mentioned in your other thread ; don't worry , dear , it will all be fine tomorrow :))))

Take care

Anthony

PS : is "ini" short for in infirmary ??

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: PSI 0 programs, 0 score
Member 29th Apr, 2011 10:14
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

We will consider various ways of improving the handling of this, and if possible we might implement it in a future version.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability