Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI hangs on start-up

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
ScotchJohn PSI hangs on start-up
Member 30th Apr, 2011 10:49
Ranking: 4
User Since: 22nd Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Secunia PSI now hangs on start-up. Yes, I have made a couple of recent changes that could have created this situation, (1) I have stopped using Kaspersky AVP, and replaced it with Microsoft Security Essentials, and (2) upgraded Firefox to 4.0.1.

PSI shows the welcome screen, but the progress bar - "Verifying internet connection . . ." fails to run.

I have read my way through this thread - http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/838... - I think that I have done everything recommended in the FAQ link, though I do not find 'Secunia Update Agent' listed in Services. I have whitelisted psi.exe, psia.exe and sua.exe in MSE and I have replaced PSI v 2.0.0.2001 with 3003.

I am using Windows Vista, updated to SP1, I keep myself fully updated, with help from PSI! Default browser is Firefox 4.0.1.

Please could you help?

--
Dell Latitude E6420, Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), Firefox latest

Post "RE: PSI hangs on start-up" has been selected as an answer.
mogs RE: PSI hangs on start-up
Expert Contributor 30th Apr, 2011 11:14
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
Some similarities between your case and those in the following thread.....tho' obviously, newer versions have been issued since....but you may be able to glean some help/info from it.
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/733...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ScotchJohn RE: PSI hangs on start-up
Member 30th Apr, 2011 18:28
Score: 4
User Since: 22nd Dec 2008
Mogs - many thanks for your so very prompt reply.

Unfortunately, I do not seem to be very much further forward. I uninstalled my instal of PSI, searched all instances of Secunia in the registry, removed them, re-booted. I tried the re-instal of MSXML, as suggested. That worked OK.

Then, I installed PSI 1.5.0.2, again as suggested. After installation, this would also not start. As experienced with PSI 2.0, the UI hung when I tried to run it. I went on, and ran the instal program for PSI 2.0 (3003), same result.

Windows Vista 32-bit, SP1, Firefox 4.0.1
Dell Latitude D420.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI hangs on start-up
Handling Contributor 30th Apr, 2011 18:52
Score: 11719
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I assume U have installed MSXML 4 SP3 from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.asp...

If so, did U run Windows Update? There is an update to that SP 3.

It could help if not installed.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Apr, 2011 20:36
Maurice - thanks, yes that looks as if it was my source for the MSXML update; thanks for advising of the update for MSXML, which I have applied, then re-booted.

Still no change, sorry to say, PSI starts, but does not go past the welcome screen, the progress bar does not progress.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Apr, 2011 21:20
@ScotchJohn

Are you sure you've removed everything of Kaspersky from your system ?
I know you now have Firefox as your default browser but psi is still dependant on IE to some extent.....there was an instance a few weeks ago where someone discovered it had been left in offline mode....reset it and all was okay. Might be worth checking ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st May, 2011 19:25
Mogs - thanks for your continuing interest in helping.

No, I was not at all sure that I had removed all traces of Kaspersky from the system. A registry search showed close on 400 registry keys referring to Kaspersky still present, now all removed, and the system rebooted several times, so I think iot is all gone, now. Says volumes about the Kaspersky uninstaller!

Noted your question about IE offline. I had already checked this, having seen your advice to others on the forum. I can confirm that it is not checked as off-line.

That said, I'm still no further forward. PSI appears no more willing than before to load its UI.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st May, 2011 20:53
@ScotchJohn

Given all the changes in recent days to your set-up......I'd be inclined to first of all run CHKDSK.....verify consistancy/indexes..check for orphaned files, so on and so forth. You're probably aware of the Memory Diagnostics Tool in Vista as well....runs two test passes and reports in Probs. Reports and Solutions ?
Then I'd do the usual clearing/cleaning/defrag before trying a fresh install.....it's possible the old version was broken I think.
Hope it helps..........

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st May, 2011 21:56
Mogs - again, many thanks.

Fortunately, I do not need to do what you suggested! I took the update to IE9, and PSI went back On-the-Air, restarted behaving as usual.

To instal IE9, I also had to apply Vista SP2. To run this, in turn, required me to run CheckSUR, which reported and fixed a huge number of errors. So, I think, in parallel, we both came to the conclusion that my system was "dirty", with errors that needed to be fixed.

Once again, thanks for your willing assistance. I think we can close this thread.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Expert Contributor 1st May, 2011 22:20
Last edited on 1st May, 2011 22:26
Well, I am glad you've finally got it sorted ! I'll have to keep a mental note of the fix with IE9 ! I must admit I hadn't thought of that. And Vista SP2 (I should have homed in on that !).....I think I'd taken that for granted. All in all , trying to get psi to come to life has been a thorough health check/MOT for your pc it seems.....Brilliant....a happy ending !

If the issue is now resolved ; as you are the originator of the thread, you have the option to close it, by selecting ACCEPT. This will lock the thread : preventing tag-on posts and reminder e mails.....well done...good luck and regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability