Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Data Dynamics, Ltd.
And, this specific program:
Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Saucer419 Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Member 30th Apr, 2011 22:05
Ranking: 7
User Since: 8th Mar, 2011
System Score: N/A
Anyone know what this is? Secunia says on my system it is an end of life program & to remove it. It isn't in add remove programs.

mogs RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Expert Contributor 30th Apr, 2011 22:29
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
It seems to be a reporting tool :-
ActiveReports is an award-winning reporting tool for Silverlight, Windows Forms and ASP.NET with unmatched customization, fast performance and super high quality, all battle tested by tens of thousands of developers.http://www.datadynamics.com/

psi version 2.0

Go to Results from the Dashboard

1/. Click on the + sign alongside the file.
2/. This will reveal the file path.
3/. Post the info back to the forum if uncertain how best to proceed.

Hope this helps.......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
elmaher RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Member 1st May, 2011 01:51
Score: 1
User Since: 1st May 2011
I'm having same problem as person who started this thread. Here's what PSI shows in the details:

---START---

Program Name:
Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x

Security State:
End-of-Life

Download Link:

Instances Found:
C:\Windows\System32\ActBar.ocx, version: 1.0.6.5

Last System Scan (localtime):
29. Apr 2011, 19:44

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7,

---END---

I've looked in the location shown in the path, and can't find that file.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Arafurian RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Member 1st May, 2011 04:25
User Since: 30th Oct 2010
Hi,

My link says C:\Windows\SystemWOW64\ActBar.ocx, version: 1.0.6.5

And the out-of-date file is there!

If is marked Read-only, however, and does not seem to want to be removed.

What next?
Was this reply relevant?
+0

mogs

RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
OldPeter RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Member 1st May, 2011 15:19
Score: 0
User Since: 15th Jan 2009
Have the same problem and if it is needed from whom do we get an update? Oldpeter
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Saucer419 RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Member 1st May, 2011 16:09
Score: 7
User Since: 8th Mar 2011
Last edited on 1st May, 2011 16:20
I sent an email to Data Dynamics tech support so maybe we will get a response on Monday. Glad I'm not the only one with the problem.

I might note that my Chrome browser has been updated, but Secunia still shows it needs updating. Any help there?

To add minutes later: Just ran Secunia again and Data Dynamics ActiveBar isn't listed. I'll try updating Chrome again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st May, 2011 16:27
@Saucer419

You'll probably find that you've installed the 11.0.696.60 version of Stable Chrome but that psi suggests 11.0.696.57. The reason is that the '57 version was the one with the latest security fixes ( what psi is all about); whilst the '60 version was a bug-fix release only....although still incorporating the previous fixes. You are secure with the '60 version...but the detection rules have yet to be amended to show it as such.
Hope this is clear enough.......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Maurice Joyce RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Handling Contributor 1st May, 2011 17:06
Score: 11799
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@mogs,
They should be able to remove them using the traditional Command Prompt.

Looks like there is a few different OS's involved.Just remember each OS has its own method

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Expert Contributor 1st May, 2011 17:29
@Maurice

Thanks Maurice....but I don't know much of the prog at all....just what I glimpsed in my original search.....at first glance it appeared the version users are quoting was very out of date tho'. Then I ask myself...why has it taken so long for them to be made aware of it ? From the little I know of it...and the fact that it has now disappeared from psi scan results of it's own accord reportedly.....I don't feel able to offer any more advice than I've already given.....your expertise; as always, is welcomed.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st May, 2011 17:33
Google Chrome updated itself when I opened the browser, clicked on the wrench in the upper right, then clicked on About Google Chrome.

I then ran the PSI scan & everything is secure and Data Dynamics is gone.

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+3
elmaher RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Member 1st May, 2011 20:21
User Since: 1st May 2011
I looked again and found the Active Bar file where PSI said it was -- must have missed it first time. Deleted it successfully, PSI now 100%. Found this about the program at Data Dynamics site:

"Note: ActiveBar 3.0 was discontinued on January 1, 2009. Support for ActiveBar 3.0 will end on December 31, 2009."

Maybe it only made it into the PSI scan list recently? In any case, it doesn't sound as if it has any current function. We'll see.

Ellen
Was this reply relevant?
+2
kinhunter25 RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Member 2nd May, 2011 01:11
Score: 6
User Since: 14th Aug 2010
WARNING: I was able to uninstall the ActiveBar as Secunia recommended; HOWEVER, now my Genealogy program will not load or work. For whatever reason, apparently that Program possibly uses the old version of the Active Bar. I am in the process of getting help from their forum/support to fix the problem. That program is Legacy Family Tree. So far, my other software programs seem to work okay.

I wonder how come Secunia is just now indicating that version of the Active Bar is no longer being supported. From what I can figure out on the website for the Active Bar, they are now up to a version 3.0.

--
kinhunter25
Was this reply relevant?
+5
mrkorb RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Member 3rd May, 2011 00:05
User Since: 3rd May 2011
on 2nd May, 2011 01:11, kinhunter25 wrote:
WARNING: I was able to uninstall the ActiveBar as Secunia recommended; HOWEVER, now my Genealogy program will not load or work. For whatever reason, apparently that Program possibly uses the old version of the Active Bar. I am in the process of getting help from their forum/support to fix the problem. That program is Legacy Family Tree. So far, my other software programs seem to work okay.

I wonder how come Secunia is just now indicating that version of the Active Bar is no longer being supported. From what I can figure out on the website for the Active Bar, they are now up to a version 3.0.

Ah ha! I guess that sheds some light as to where this thing came from. I had updated Legacy within the last week, and then this thing popped up in PSI. Interesting though, that it's only appearing on one of the 4 systems that I have Legacy installed on.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 3rd May, 2011 00:40
I sent Data Dynamics an email regarding this problem. I have IE9 installed and didn't find their program being used. Here is their reply:

ActiveBar 1.0 is a toolbar software component that may have been used in legacy applications by VB6 developers. Removing this library from your system may cause older applications to stop functioning properly. A Windows Update will be released soon with a patch preventing this control from being misused in Internet Explorer.

Until then, you can prevent the control from running in Internet Explorer by going to the Tools menu and selecting Internet Options. Then from the Programs tab, click on Manage Add-ons button. In the Show dropdown, which is set to 'Currently loaded add-ons' by default, select 'Downloaded controls'. If you see ActiveBar 1.0 in the list, select it, then click the disable button to block the control from running.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Jon Smith
Director of Technical Support
GrapeCity PowerTools USA
GrapeCity, inc.
Was this reply relevant?
+6
harmil2 RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Member 3rd May, 2011 18:46
User Since: 16th Jul 2009
Saucer
I went to the downloaded controls as you suggested and ActiveBar 1.x was not listed (?), but still coming up on my psi scans. Since I like other have Legacy 7.5 (the latest version from mid April) for genealogy research I was hoping I could play with enable/disable to see if it effected Legacy, but such is not the case. I am not going to risk trying to delete ActiveBar 1. and possibly messing up Legacy.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
btbow RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Member 4th May, 2011 19:11
User Since: 18th Sep 2008
I had a trial version (7.5) of Legacy Genealogy software on my computer until recently, so perhaps that is the source of the ActBar.ocx, version 1.0.6.5 (file date 22/06/1999).

Since I could find no way to un-install this software, I went to the SysWOW64 directory and changed the extension to .old, then had PSI re-scan it.
To my surprise, PSI did NOT recognize the filename change and continues to ID this as an end-of-life product.

Even after re-booting the computer, PSI insists that it still sees the ActBar.ocx file, even with the changed extension.

I use an older version 16 of Family Tree Maker, and it still loads OK after the filename change, so it would not appear to require this file.

Bruce
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th May, 2011 20:30
@ btbow

That is strange. I did absolutely nothing except to make sure I have the latest version of PSI 2.0. I scanned again today and there was nothing mentioned regarding Activebar or Data Dynamics. I do not have Legacy installed on this computer but do have other genealogy software. I really can't explain it but am not a computer guru by any means.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th May, 2011 11:57
Last edited on 5th May, 2011 11:58
Where is the irrelevance in the posts ?

EXTRACTS from Thread
1st May, 2011 06:14
I wouldn't remove Activebar until I was sure I didn't need it, or till having found an update/replacement.
2nd May, 2011 01:11

1st May, 2011 16:09 Saucer419
I might note that my Chrome browser has been updated, but Secunia still shows it needs updating. Any help there?

1st May, 2011 16:27
@Saucer419

You'll probably find that you've installed the 11.0.696.60 version of Stable Chrome but that psi suggests 11.0.696.57. The reason is that the '57 version was the one with the latest security fixes ( what psi is all about); whilst the '60 version was a bug-fix release only....although still incorporating the previous fixes. You are secure with the '60 version...but the detection rules have yet to be amended to show it as such.
Hope this is clear enough.......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Member 5th May, 2011 12:09
Last edited on 5th May, 2011 12:09 Hey,

@mogs

Just a possibility.

Since Belarc is a Microsoft Hotfix/AV/Benchmark program, and as far as I know does not even attempt to cover third-party software, maybe someone would assume that a completely useless (In this situation only, not generally) posted as a " solution" could be irrelevant.

The relevancy score is about how relevant a suggestion/answer is to fixing the actual problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

mogs

RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Anthony Wells RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Expert Contributor 5th May, 2011 14:14
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi Emil and Mogs ,

The Belarc scan can seem irrelevant at first sight but does give installation/usage data which may correlate with info from the Control Panel or a programmes "properties ; not necessarily that relevant and open to be voted upon either way or not at all .

Immediately underneath the Belarc link is the "do not delete " until/before you know better message which seems to be pretty critical - at least to one poster - so it might have stood out better with paragraphing and being put in bold type ; maybe , one day , people will read all the posts in all the relevant threads before posting or taking other actions , but then again , who am I kidding .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Carl_H RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Member 5th May, 2011 18:18
User Since: 25th May 2010
We have "Actbar.ocx" version 1.0.6.4 on most of our computers and this ActiveX Control is being used extensively by a company's software that we depend on daily. When I contacted them about this security advisory, they said that Secunia was the only security company reporting it as a problem. They had no plans to quit using the control and advised me to set a security exception to ignore “Actbar.ocx”.

Other than this Secunia Advisory, I can't find anything on “Actbar.ocx”.

Does anyone know of any other security firm that is showing Actbar.ocx as “End of Life” or “Insecure”?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Expert Contributor 5th May, 2011 20:27
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

HI ,

The PSI will show a programme as "End of Life" when Secunia is advised or determines that it is no longer supported by the vendor ; it is a situation statement only .

This creates two points :-

1)You will not know if the product becomes vulnerable some time in the future as it is no longer supported ; whether you continue to use it is your choice .

2)A programme supplier who embeds a piece of third party software is responsible for keeping it up to date (at least in Secunia's eyes) and should be able to advise you if it offers a potential security threat to you , either now or in the future :ie: that is the question you need to ask in order to help you decide as to your security requirements . If Secunia can see the .ocx file on your system so can the bad guys ; is it a malware entry point ??

Hope that is useful .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Froglady2626 RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Member 5th May, 2011 20:42
User Since: 14th May 2010
Hi, I'm joining this discussion late. I ran a Secunia scan a few days ago on an XP Home computer that I don't use often but do keep very up-to-date and got the same result: C:Windows\System32\Actbar.ocx version 1.0.6.5 is end-of-life.

I also can't find this installed on this computer by looking in that folder or going to Add/Remove Programs or on a Belarc scan. This result just popped up although I run Secunia regularly. I need advice on what to do about this. I've read this thread but am still unclear about how to proceed. (I use Chrome or Firefox as browsers except when doing Windows Updates but Actbar is not listed as an add-on for IE.) Is there a way to update this program if I need it?

Help appreciated!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Member 6th May, 2011 04:23
To eliminate PSI showing activebar as an error I created a "rule" in PSI to ignore it and that seems to have worked.

I gave the rule a name.
Then the path I used was C:\windows\sysWOW64\ActBar.ocx

Then reran the scan it it does not show up as a file needing to be fixed.

Was this reply relevant?
+3
MikeyD RE: Data Dynamics ActiveBar 1.x
Member 6th May, 2011 05:42
User Since: 20th Dec 2007
Last edited on 6th May, 2011 05:55
I have had exactly the same experience on an XP SP3 machine. I haven't the faintest idea which program might have installed it on this machine, however, and have been unable to find any info on the internet as to which applications install it, either.

It did not show up in the IE8 manage add-ins, was not listed in add-remove programs in the control panel and, finally, continued to elicit a warning when I changed the extension to .OLD, as has been reported above.

However, I did unregister it using RegDLL View from NIRSOFT software, without deleting the file. If I should come across some (little-used) application in future that is broken because ActiveBar has been bounced, or if Microsoft has some fix for it, then I will remove the .OLD extension and re-register it with RegDLL View or manually in the cmd panel. (OCX files are registered same as DLL files.)
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer