Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI icon stays red, doesn't show PSI score

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
ScotchJohn PSI icon stays red, doesn't show PSI score
Member 3rd May, 2011 15:47
Ranking: 4
User Since: 22nd Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
With help from forum members, I solved a problem with PSI refusing to start - http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/855...

PSI is functioning normally, but the tray icon remains red, and does not show the system score percentage. I've read the forum hits under "tray icon", tried all the suggested actions, close the tray icon, restart PSI, etc., nothing seems to work.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

--
Dell Latitude E6420, Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), Firefox latest

This user no longer exists RE: PSI icon stays red, doesn't show PSI score
Member 4th May, 2011 09:48
Hi,

Please go to start -> type services and select it.

Then find the service "Secunia PSI Agent" and restart it.

Close the tray and open it again.

Has this resolved the problem?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ScotchJohn RE: PSI icon stays red, doesn't show PSI score
Member 4th May, 2011 10:08
Score: 4
User Since: 22nd Dec 2008
Emil - thanks. I tried this again, but it did not solve the issue. The tray icon stays red, and the tooltip says only "Secunia PSI Tray", without reporting the System Score. The two other PCs in the house both report the System Score.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
davidows RE: PSI icon stays red, doesn't show PSI score
Member 4th May, 2011 20:28
Score: 16
User Since: 24th Apr 2008
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 4th May, 2011 20:29
I just had the same issue, and came here looking for a solution. After reading the suggestion to restart the Secunia PSI Agent (psia.exe) service, I looked at the list of running services in Sysinternals' Process Explorer.

Surprisingly, that service was running, but I noticed that the Secunia Update Agent service (sua.exe) was not.

By killing all instances of Secunia PSI, including psia.exe, psi.exe and psi_tray.exe and re-running PSI, both services were properly started and the the PSI tray icon regained its full functionality.

Apparently, those are functions of the Secunia Update Agent Service, not the Secunia PSI Agent service.

Now, to start a new thread about Auto-Update not even appearing to attempt updates on several systems, except for once that I saw a message indicating the downloaded update failed a CRC check, or something to that effect. And, yes, I do have Auto-Updates enabled (without a prompt) in the Configuration section.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 4th May, 2011 22:03
Davidows - many thanks for your contribution.

Looking into my Services, I have psia.exe running, but no trace of sua.exe. I have uninstalled and reinstalled PSI, without getting any further forward. Why can it be that the installer is not installing the sua.exe service? Can I insert it manually?

I compared this (faulty) system with another of our PCs also running PSI (OS is Win 7, so not exactly comparable), and it has the sua.exe service properly installed.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: PSI icon stays red, doesn't show PSI score
Expert Contributor 4th May, 2011 22:36
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
@ScotchJohn

Have you tried what I suggested in a previous thread to you yet......run CHKDSK to verify consistancy on the disk ?
It will check for all manner of ills and perhaps put a few things in order.
No gaurantees....but at least you'll be able to eliminate it from enquiries !
Hope it helps.........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+5
Member 4th May, 2011 23:19
Do you have auto-update enabled in the configuration tab on the left? If not, it may not be necessary to run sua.exe and that functionality may be lost.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th May, 2011 23:21
You might also go to Administrative Tools, Services and check on the status of SUA. If it is not set to Automatic, make that change. If it is not already started, then start it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th May, 2011 09:25
Last edited on 5th May, 2011 09:25 Hi,

Please walk through these steps:

Open Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

Stop the "Secunia PSI Agent Service" and the "Secunia Update Agent" (if present).

Go to start, and enter "cmd" in the search bar (Vista and 7) or in the "run" box (XP).
Then enter these commands sequentially, after stopping the PSI:

(For 32-bit systems)
> cd C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI
(OR!! For 64-bit systems)
> cd C:\Program Files(x86)\Secunia\PSI
> sua.exe -r (Don't worry if this returns an error).
> sua.exe -i -L (Let this finish).

Run the PSI again.

Has this resolved the problem?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th May, 2011 09:41
Emil - thank you.

The SUA.exe servce started successfully - it has NOT been present until now, the PSI installer appears not to start it on my system.

Then I ran the PSI.exe program, it started OK, but the tray icon still did not colour green, nor did the tray tooltip report my System Score. My Forum profile is ticked to place the System Score in my signature for Forum posts, but this has not happened at all in this thread, and probably will not with this post.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th May, 2011 11:54
on 5th May, 2011 09:41, ScotchJohn wrote:
Emil - thank you.

The SUA.exe servce started successfully - it has NOT been present until now, the PSI installer appears not to start it on my system.

Then I ran the PSI.exe program, it started OK, but the tray icon still did not colour green, nor did the tray tooltip report my System Score. My Forum profile is ticked to place the System Score in my signature for Forum posts, but this has not happened at all in this thread, and probably will not with this post.

Emil - thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, the problem has not gone away, the tray icon remains red. Is there anything else that you could suggest?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sbarbera RE: PSI icon stays red, doesn't show PSI score
Member 11th May, 2011 10:48
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Jan 2008
I've had this problem on a couple of computers for ages. I'd followed most of the advice I'd seen, including in this thread, but nothing worked. I finally resolved to get to the bottom of the problem and here's what I found.

I discovered, using the excellent SysInternals' "Process Explorer", that psia.exe was not using the proxy configured in Internet Explorer settings but rather the system default settings, which is normally quite hard to get access to to change.

After spending ages messing around with regedit, gpedit.msc, proxycfg.exe, all to no avail, I finally found a post (towards the bottom of http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/3314173...) outlining how to get access to the system proxy settings.

Basically, from a command prompt (Start->Run and type "cmd" then the Enter key), enter the following: "at <time> /interactive cmd.exe" where <time> equals sometime in the near future, so for example, "at 15:30 /interactive cmd.exe". At the specified time, a new command window will appear running under the system account. Now, in that window, type "inetcpl.cpl" which will bring up the Internet Settings control panel, but with the System default settings. Change these as you require and you're done.

That did it for me. I didn't even have to restart psia.exe on one of the machines.

Hope that helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th May, 2011 11:04
Hi,

For users using proxies, there is bound to be a range of unexpected issues.

As such, these are not going to be fixed, as the PSI does not support proxies, or systems running proxies.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+