Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: "Verifying Internet connection..."

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
reastudent "Verifying Internet connection..."
Member 14th May, 2011 05:58
Ranking: 0
User Since: 14th May, 2011
System Score: N/A
The most current version of PSI is installed on my 64-bit Windows 7 PC, and it is allowed through Windows Firewall, yet "Verifying Internet connection..." remains and I cannot use it. I, therefore, have two questions:

1) What is its relationship to Internet Explorer, if any?
2) What is its relationship to Sun Java, if any?

I ask these because 1) my default browser is Google Chrome AND Internet Explorer is NOT installed (I uninstalled it through "Turn Windows features on or off" via Control Panel) and 2) Sun Java is not installed.

Are either of these programs NECESSARY in running PSI? In other words, is the ONLY way for me to run PSI to re-install IE 8 or to install Java? If there are workarounds, I would highly appreciate them, as I really do not want to have to have these programs, particularly IE, installed on my PC.

Please clarify, and thank you in advance!

Post "RE: "Verifying Internet connection..."" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: "Verifying Internet connection..."
Expert Contributor 14th May, 2011 13:00
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 14th May, 2011 13:07
HI ,

The PSI uses the embedded IE engine to do much of it's work as does Windows itself and you cannot "uninstall" it ; therefore you actually need to set up IE so that the PSI can work . You "may" also need to be able to see the IE browser to make the correct settings , so you "may" need to (re)install/turn on the browser and then follow these setting instructions :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Once you have the PSI running correctly , you can choose any browser you like as your default ; I have Firefox 4.0.1 with Chrome Dev channel as back up/fun and only ever use IE 8 for manual updating at M$ updates (actually using IE tab add-ons to access the embedded IE engine) .

Once you are up and running , as I use XP , I do not know whether "turning off(uninstalling as you say)" IE as you have done previously will affect the running of PSI ; I would not think so , but hopefully someone else using W 7 will be able to tell you .

Let us know how you get on .

Anthony

PS : you do not need Java to run the PSI , but you will need it if you ever choose to run the online OSI .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
reastudent RE: "Verifying Internet connection..."
Member 14th May, 2011 18:20
Score: 0
User Since: 14th May 2011
Hi, Anthony. Thank you so much for your quick response; I truly appreciate it. I have one further question. Although IE is no longer installed on my PC (the IE feature is turned off), Microsoft Updates functions properly and automatically, and I am able to access Internet Options as in the instructions to which you forwarded me. While I followed them, "Verifying Internet connection..." still remains. What are your thoughts about this state of affairs?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th May, 2011 19:05

Hello again ,

Sorry to hear that you are not yet set up and , unfortunately , I am busy this weekend (from now) and Secunia support will not be around until Monday (CET) .
Like I said earlier , I have no experience with W 7 and this is the first time I recall someone posting about setting up without the IE browser installed ; so what you do depends on whether you have time to waste .

M$ updates possibly(?!) makes similar use of the IE embedded bit that PSI would wish to use and hence your settings access via the "control panel" could be made . Have they worked/been accepted as/by the PSI requirements without the IE browser enabled ?? That I cannot answer ,:(( You could look down that route , "turning IE back on (!!)" , but personally , at best , I would wait for someone "who knows" such as the likes of ddmarshall or Maurice Joyce to comment here ; at worst I would kick back and wait for Support to comment on Monday .

Sorry I cannot help further atm , but will definitely check back here on Monday (CET for me too) .

Catch you later .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
xyzzy RE: "Verifying Internet connection..."
Member 15th May, 2011 16:19
Score: -17
User Since: 7th Mar 2008
System Score: 98%
The only IE browser user interface feature you might need for PSI is access on the "internet options" to add Secunia as a "trusted site" (see the PSI FAQ for details).

Without the IE UI you can access the internet options, e.g., via start menu => search and run msconfig.exe => tools => internet options => start => security => trusted sites.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th May, 2011 18:54
I've already done so yet no luck in terms of PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: "Verifying Internet connection..."
Member 16th May, 2011 10:18
Hi,

Please try to reset Internet Explorer.

Then, try to walk through the steps outlined in this item of our FAQ:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...`
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th May, 2011 18:05
Is the *only* solution to reset IE?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: "Verifying Internet connection..."
Member 17th May, 2011 09:34
Hey,

It's one that usually works for us.

It should not cause any loss of data for you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th May, 2011 04:08
Thank you for your suggestion; while I don't wish to sound repetitive, and my intention is certainly not to seem ungrateful--I truly do appreciate all of the help thus far--I would really like to know if there exists a way to resolve this independent of IE.

While the above may be a solution that usually works, is there one in which IE need not be turned on as a Windows feature?

Thank you again in advance!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
xyzzy RE: "Verifying Internet connection..."
Member 20th May, 2011 07:07
Score: -17
User Since: 7th Mar 2008
System Score: 98%
"Turn on IE as windows feature" -- I didn't know that it is a "feature", but you are right, thanks for info. As a feature you could (try to) deactivate this IE feature again when you're ready with the PSI magic. OTOH having more than one browser is fine if you often test Web pages or tools. And IE 9 is a nice browser (admittedly I'm using Chrome to write this): You could enable IE, upgrade to IE 9, and (try to) disable IE again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Beercow RE: "Verifying Internet connection..."
Member 21st May, 2011 05:09
Score: 33
User Since: 26th Sep 2010
System Score: 100%
This worked for me, I hope it works for you. I am using Windows 7 64bit.

You should delete 1 extra (parasite) zone from

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\

with pseudo-graphic number, you'll see it before zone number 0.

P.S. By the way, this extra zone prevents desktop gadgets to be shown correctly.

I forgot to mention, always back up your registry before making any changes.

--
Beercow

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit
Amd Athlon IIx4 630 Quad-core
Firefox 11
6GB ram
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 21st May, 2011 06:20
Hi, Beercow; while the pseudo-graphic number of which you speak wasn't present in my registry, I very much appreciate your thinking outside the box. Your mention of it led me to this thread:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/17068-Problem-run...

Post #2 especially caught my eye, given its reference to biometric devices--I am running a Lenovo ThinkPad with integrated fingerprint reader and associated software.

(To all,) Thoughts?

I should also note that PSI is functioning properly; for example, it indicates my System Score in the system tray, and it apparently scanned my PC today as it alerted me of an updated score. The problem is that I cannot view the application, see the dashboard or my scan results, as "Verifying Internet connection..." is preventing it from loading, opening. (I don't know if this changes your understanding of my situation. . . .)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hopeonit RE: "Verifying Internet connection..."
Member 21st May, 2011 07:41
User Since: 21st May 2011
Hi,
I thought I would post my solution. 32bit windows 7

1.Open the control panel
2.Open Internet Options > Security tab.
3. select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
4.Type in the following and press the Add button to add it to the Trusted Sites list:
https://*.secunia.com
Press Close, then OK.
5.Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.

This fixed hang on verifying int connection for me.

I did not but may need if not fixed: Internet Options, then go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Security->Check for server certificate revocation. ***(However, please understand that this means your computer would not notice if a site publisher revoked his/her certificate.)***

Another possible: In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Beercow RE: "Verifying Internet connection..."
Member 22nd May, 2011 05:20
Score: 33
User Since: 26th Sep 2010
System Score: 100%
Sorry my suggestion did not help. It did solve my problem and many others with the UI being stuck on verifying internet connection. I hope you get your problem resolved. Best of luck and thanks again.

--
Beercow

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit
Amd Athlon IIx4 630 Quad-core
Firefox 11
6GB ram
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th May, 2011 21:14
BUMP
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th May, 2011 18:53
Can a Secunia official please respond here? PSI seems to be functioning properly--it regularly scans my PC (in the background) and indicates my System Score in the system tray--yet "Verifying Internet connection..." is stuck and renders it impossible for me to view my scan results and to, therefore, act upon them. I have, for this reason, a feeling IE is not the issue but rather perhaps a biometric device or something of that nature, yet I am not knowledgeable enough about Secunia products to work it out. . . . I would greatly appreciate if someone who did possess such knowledge took time to respond, as I will otherwise unfortunately have to uninstall the lovely PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st May, 2011 00:15
Last edited on 31st May, 2011 00:18
Hi ,

Support from Secunia do not appear to be around at the moment .

If you cannot see the GUI that means that the psi.exe is not getting in and out/to and from the Secunia servers . If you cannot get past the "Verifying..." then probably , the psia.exe is also failing to access the servers .

I do not see anywhere whether you did as Emil Petersen from Support suggested :ie: resetting IE .

You say that the PSI is allowed thru the firewall ; however the PSI does have trouble with some malware software settings . Which Firewall , A/V and other malware active guard software are enabled ??

Anthony

PS : you could see if the older PSI version 1.5.0.2 works for you , click download the "Download PSI" link at the top right of this page and use the second (lower) link of the two on offer .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 31st May, 2011 20:59
Hi, Anthony; thank you for your response. I did reset IE as suggested but to no avail, so I turned it off again as a Windows feature yet surprisingly PSI works (i.e., 's not stuck) having reverted to version 1, the older software you mentioned. Thanks again, Anthony!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Jun, 2011 00:08
Last edited on 1st Jun, 2011 00:11
Hi ,

One step back works :)) This means that the psi.exe - which does everything for the 1.5.0.2 version - is getting in and out to the Secunia servers and your "IE settings" work fine and the PSI is able to use the embedded bit of IE which you cannot turn off .

The problem with version 2.0.x would seem to be that the psia.exe and/or possibly the sua.exe are not getting to the servsers and so it will not run . There are two other threads where the same/similar problem(s) occur(s) :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/931...

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/924...

I am away for a few days , so maybe someone else will drop in ; in the meantime , if you wish to retry 2.0.x you will see that the key areas to check are :-

1) whether the psia.exe is corectly installed and whether the process and the service start and run correctly and

2) is anything in your security software setting(s) causing the psia.exe not to pass thru' .

Will check back at the end of the week .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 1st Jun, 2011 18:09
Hi, Anthony. PSI 1 alerted me that a newer version of PSI was obviously available, from which I downloaded and re-installed PSI 2--and it now works! I had tried re-installation once before yet to no avail, so precisely why from PSI 1 I it works I don't know--I'm sorry that a clear resolution isn't had, but I'd like to once again thank you for your time and diligence. . . .
Was this reply relevant?
+0
audreyhowe200 RE: "Verifying Internet connection..."
Member 2nd Jun, 2011 17:56
User Since: 2nd Jun 2011
I cannot get my head around all this, help would be greatly appreciated
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: "Verifying Internet connection..."
Handling Contributor 2nd Jun, 2011 18:58
Score: 11309
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Audrey,
I would open your own thread. The originator of this thread can lock this one at any time now he has solved his problem preventing any more activity.

If U do open your own, ideally we would like:

1. What OS U are using - Windows 7,Vista or XP plus SP.

2. Is it 64 or 32 Bit?

3. exactly what the problem is. The more detail the better.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability