Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Often Non-responsive

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
VistaPremium Often Non-responsive
Member 15th May, 2011 23:53
Ranking: 0
User Since: 14th Apr, 2009
System Score: 100%
before 2.0 i never had any problems with PSI Secunia (PSI is working), then when i installed the latest PSI 2.0 i often get No response from the program and have to wait til i do, first i thought my laptop was abit slow and that was the reason (THIS WAS ON 32 BIT SYSTEM RUNNING WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM)

But i got a new laptop now running windows 7 64 bit, i5 2,53ghz 8gb mem ATI 5650

And even on this new laptop i often get no response and have to wait til it respond again, again its still working and doing its job, but its working really slowly and that it often crashes like that (getting Non-responsive) its really enoying.

Any ideas what this might be? anyone else having this problem?

--
Toshiba Satellite L650
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU m 460 @ 2.53GHz (4 CPUs)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
8GB Mem

Running PSI Secunia 2.0 with Kaspersky PURE

Anthony Wells RE: Often Non-responsive
Expert Contributor 16th May, 2011 11:39
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hi ,

When you say you get "No response" , what exactly do you mean :ie: what is not responding and when/which stage of loading and with what "error" messages" if any ??

The PSI has been known to have difficulties in getting through Kaspersky software firewall/guard protection in order to contact the Secunia servers ; it needs to get in and out .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
VistaPremium RE: Often Non-responsive
Member 16th May, 2011 12:49
Score: 0
User Since: 14th Apr 2009
Freeze (computing), a condition when computer software becomes unresponsive.

It tend to happend quite often. thats the only problem i have and with or without kaspersky its the same deal.

have a second computer running vista and it has comodo on it and PSI does the same thing on there, just gets unresponsive.

Im able to run updates with it etc but the program it self gets unresponisve alot and when that happends i have to wait for it to respond again, if i dont and i try to click on it it will tell me that i has to be terminated and would need to start up again.

there is no error report, the program just freeze from time to another, and im wondering why since the last program you had didnt do that, it worked perfectly.
2.0 is working slow compared.

--
Toshiba Satellite L650
8GB Mem

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 16th May, 2011 17:51

Hello again ,

A minor point , but in your last paragraph you seem to think I work for Secunia ; far from it , I merely try to help out here on the Forum .

As your problem applies to both your machines , then as this (XP) article points up , the cause could be anything :-

http://ask-leo.com/not_responding_what_does_it_mea...

Not very helpful , but if you want to see if it PSI version 2.0 or not you could go back and reload version 1.5 from the second link here :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

This would give a baseline of the PSI and it's ability to connect correctly to the Secunia servers .

Comodo has also been known to require careful set-up as per Kaspersky . If the old version runs correctly , try reinstalling 2.0.x from the first link (above) .

Other points :-

Do other programmes "not respond" ?? Is there a pattern to the problem :eg: other programmes using a lot of cpu or memory at the problem time ?? Do both machines share a network or router/modem ?? It is a process of elimination unless something is blatantly obvious ; doing things step by step rather than a block of things together is usually more helpful .

See how you get on by going back .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

grasslv

RE: Often Non-responsive
[+]
This reply has been deleted
Member 17th May, 2011 11:31
Hi, I uninstalled the 2.0 and installed version 1.5 and its working perfectly. And alot faster than 2.0

--
Toshiba Satellite L650
8GB Mem

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th May, 2011 19:18

Hi ,

One step back looks good :))

Have you still got two machines ?? If so , have you reset the both of them back to 1.5.x ??

How we go 2.0.x steps forward is influenced by whether you can/wish to use the "spare" one to test some things without interrupting your work and as time permits .

Anyway , I would let the 1.5.x run for a day or two and run the scan when possible to ensure/check it's stability .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th May, 2011 08:28
Im running 1,5 on my main computer and i have 2.0 running the other one.
whenever Secunia gets a new update i will try and install the new one to see if there is any improvement :)

--
Toshiba Satellite L650
8GB Mem

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th May, 2011 00:18

Only guessing , but it seems that there is a basic conflict on your set up with perhaps the added processes in version 2.0.x . I am not sure whether the next release will help .

If you want to , you could go back to 1.5.x on the older machine and check out a few things ; assuming it also runs correctly .

Come back if you need more help .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
xyzzy RE: Often Non-responsive
Member 20th May, 2011 07:33
Score: -17
User Since: 7th Mar 2008
System Score: 98%
FWIW, because I'm just looking at two very similar Sony VAIO notebooks, 4 GB RAM, windows 7 home premium SP 1, both ATI mobility radeon, one with the old PSI 1.5.x UI, one with the new 2.x UI: Both are fine.

No Kaspersky, only MSE, that could be a major difference -- but I don't see how that would affect only the PSI 2.x UI, and not the 1.5.x UI.

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+