Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Showing wrong version of Chrome

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Kandt43 Showing wrong version of Chrome
Member 18th May, 2011 22:48
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Jan, 2008
System Score: 100%
PSI indicates I have Chrome version 11.0.696.60 installed but I have have version 11.0.696.68 installed. Thereafter, I ran the scan but I still get the message insecure and the wrong version shows.

Incidentally, I find the auto-update unsatisfactorily. Many weeks may pass before the application is updated from the developer, causing the system score not to be 100% for several weeks. As a user you can do nothing!

Windows 7 64bit

Post "RE: Showing wrong version of Chrome" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: Showing wrong version of Chrome
Expert Contributor 18th May, 2011 23:48
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 18th May, 2011 23:50
Hi ,

The Chrome auto/silent update leaves the old version files behind ; when the old version is "insecure" it will display separately as such at very the top of the scan results . Your ..60 version should be there and you should also see version ...68 displayed lower down the results in alphabetical order . If the old version is not "insecure" it will display as a second entry alongside the "latest" version

You can delete ...60 by clicking the [+] on the left end of the programme ; to the left of the detected instance are two small yellowish folder icons , the one without the red blob will "open the folder" where the "insecure" version is installed and should see highlighted the incriminating folder with the old version number on it , right click and delete .

The PSI should update itself or you may need to run a full scan .

If that is not clear ask again .

I am not sure what you mean in your last paragraph and not being 100% for ages . That should not happen ; can you explain more precisely and give an example or are you referring to the "secure browsing" module browser display ??

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Kandt43 RE: Showing wrong version of Chrome
Member 19th May, 2011 08:50
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Jan 2008
Hello,

Many thanks, Chrome solution worked ok.

The second part refers to, for instance, I have Adobe Flash Player 10.x ( 2 versions) being termed insecure for more than one week. The install solution informs that the automatic update delayed program in use.

To my recollection the previous PSI did not do that unless there would be a new version. But maybe I should disconnect the automatic update?

Kandt43

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th May, 2011 12:28

Hi ,

Pleased you are up to speed with Chrome .

Chrome has it's own version of Flash installed and should update automatically within the "latest" version , as necessary .

The two Flash versions displayed are usually for IE (ActiveX) and for other browsers :eg: Firefox , a plug-in (NPAPI) . The latest version is 10.3.181.14 and should be installed as soon as possible . *** (see below first )I would suggest you turn of the auto updates in the PSI ; you can do it generally (for all programmes) in "settings" or individually for each programme by double (left) clicking the display entry and in the "splash window) deselecting "auto-update" . Rescan and then select the manual Flash update link ; before you run the installers make sure you close and exit completely all browsers , messengers and anything that might use Flash .

***I am still not clear about your wording of "update delayed , program in use" ; is this the message that has appeared after the "auto update" process has started (with or without your prompted confirmation) in the right hand column of the "Scan Results" page ?? if so , it means that you have not correctly/completely closed your browsers or other Flash using programmes which must be fully "exited" - you might want to see which processes are running using your "Task Manager" - in order for the Flash installer to do it's job . The PSI checks every few minutes to see if it can run , closing all programmes using Flash is essential ; so a reboot may help things reset .

Does that make sense to you ??

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 19th May, 2011 19:47
Hi Anthony, Many thanks. It certainly makes sense and I often forget to check to see if the program is still running using task manager although it's "closed". This exercise has also learned me a little bit about Chrome which I started using recently.

Thank you for the assistance.......Torben
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th May, 2011 21:01

Hi Torben ,

Is your Flash up to date now and is PSI showing you 100% ?? If not , what other problems do you have ?? Post them here if you need help or advice .

I have Firefox 4.0.1 as my default browser , but probably use Chrome just as much for zooming round the web :))

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th May, 2011 22:09
Many thanks, flash ok and secunia score is 100%. Rest assured I will be back when and if I have problems. This exercise however, have taught me a little bit. Cheers........Torben
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability