Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Firefox

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Mozilla Foundation
And, this specific program:
Mozilla Firefox 3.0.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
JSBSC Firefox
Member 19th May, 2011 00:14
Ranking: 5
User Since: 23rd Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
I am running PSI 2.0 on windows xp media center. My latest scan said I needed to update to firefox 3.6.17, which I did-however when I load up firefox web page it tell me for security reasons I need to upgrade to 4.0.1 which i did. Then PSI 2.0 tells me I have the same issue and need to install the 3.6.17. Is the 4.0 in beta right now or am I missing something. Thanks for any feedback.

puget1 RE: Firefox
Member 19th May, 2011 01:56
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 19th May, 2011 02:25
You more than likely have residue files left from an unclean uninstall. If you go to the plus sign(+) the far left of the Firefox entry in Scan results it will take you to the files that Secunia says are wrong. I am running Firefox on XP SP#3 no problem. If that does not work uninstall Firefox. Do a clean uninstall removing all Firefox entries in Registry. Do a restart and reinstall the latest version of Firefox 4.0.1(by86 eng-US) from their primary site: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fx/ this should resolve the problem.

If this has to do with T.V. and streaming video,I would still do the above but go back to the older version of Secunia in that there is less config problems it can be down loaded from here:http://secunia.com/PSI1Setup.exe. Secunia officials are constantly monitoring the site, if there is a fix for the streaming video aspect they will advise.

-

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Firefox
Member 19th May, 2011 09:16
Hi,

Secunia does not track or monitor Beta versions.

So the issue is probably stemming from the fact that we don't detect any Beta firefoxes.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Firefox
Expert Contributor 19th May, 2011 12:53
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

Mozilla Firefox supports three platforms at the moment and the latest "secure" versions as seen by the PSI are 3.5.19 , 3.6.17 and 4.0.1 .

None of these are Beta , all of them are full release products .

You can only run one platform at any one time , so if you have 4.0.1 you cannot have 3.6.17 ; but if you have an old "insecure" 3.6.x file on your system which the PSI has located , it will suggest an update to 3.6.17 as the "solution" to the insecurity and if you run the installer it will load 3.6.17 instead of any other version on your computer . This is because you "update" within a platform or "upgrade" to a new platform ; as long as Mozilla supports the platform then the PSI will offer the "update within the platform" .

If you have 4.0.1 , then click the [+] at the lhs of the 3.6.x displayed entry and tell us the detected instance installation pathway and let's get rid of it if you wish to keep 4.0.1 . I personally think that 4.0.1 is a big improvement over 3.6.17 ., but it's your choice .

Does that help ??

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
JSBSC RE: Firefox
Member 19th May, 2011 13:33
Score: 5
User Since: 23rd Dec 2010
The 4.0 works I have not had any trouble with it, however after doing uninstall of 3.6.17 and installing the 4.o I got the same scan result from secunia. The 3.6.17 is back on now and it scans no trouble. As long as the security issue that 4.0 says is more of an issue with the older version, doesn't bite me, I guess I'll stick with the older version.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Firefox
Expert Contributor 19th May, 2011 13:49
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

The best browser is the one you are happy with and know how to use :))

3.5.19 , 3.6.17 and 4.0.1 are all secure with no known vulnerabilities ; however , just as when you move up from IE platform 6 to 7 or 8 or 9 then so with Mozilla , the later browser platform is more inherently "secure and stronger" . None of which helps if you do not use "safe browsing" guidelines and you decide put yourself at risk ; later models do reduce but do not eliminate exposure , as with their use of "sandboxing" for example .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

mssmith9087

RE: Firefox
[+]
This reply has been deleted

xyzzy

RE: Firefox
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
puget1 RE: Firefox
Member 20th May, 2011 17:15
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
If you are Beta testing for Firefox,it will leave the old build in tack while installing the new build also. I believe it has something to do with the fact that if the new beta build is too bug ridden you can easily go to the secure build. However, it does usually foul Secunia scans.

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability