Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI slows computer

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Left Coast Bernard PSI slows computer
Member 13th Dec, 2008 10:37
Ranking: 0
User Since: 13th Dec, 2008
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 13th Dec, 2008 10:38

When I had version 0.9 I hardly noticed PSI.exe doing anything, except when I asked it to scan or when I was added or removing software.

I installed the new 1.0.

Now on task monitor I see psi.exe running and using significant cpu resources at all times.

This makes my computer feel as if it were filled with molasses.

I improved the situation by manually changing psi.exe's priority to Low.

But it seems that there should be a better solution, and the Secunia engineers might want to look into making the new version more polite.

Thanks. I like the program, and its helped me clean up a lot of old junk.

I'm running XP, service pack 3.

This user no longer exists RE: PSI slows computer
Member 13th Dec, 2008 12:13
How much RAM does the system have and what is the CPU and its speed?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Left Coast Bernard RE: PSI slows computer
Member 13th Dec, 2008 16:28
Score: 0
User Since: 13th Dec 2008
My machine is an older one. P III 500 MHz with 650 MB of RAM.

The earlier version of PSI didn't seem cause it problems.
The newer version seems to do using 20 or 30 % of the CPU power all the time.
So, what is it doing?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI slows computer
Member 13th Dec, 2008 20:14
on 13th Dec, 2008 16:28, Left Coast Bernard wrote:
My machine is an older one. P III 500 MHz with 650 MB of RAM.

The earlier version of PSI didn't seem cause it problems.
The newer version seems to do using 20 or 30 % of the CPU power all the time.
So, what is it doing?

I have an old PIII that I rescued from my apartment's recycle area and it runs IE8 and Opera 10 quite well but real slow so I have patience with it as it was free except for the XP license I purchased for it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Dec, 2008 20:33
Well, I'm patient too, and I usually have a good book and classical music on Internet radio.

But it seems to me that the CPU loading from psi changed between version 0.9 and version 1.0.

Besides, I understand, I think, what psi is supposed to be doing, after its initial scans, and I don't see why it would be using significant resources.

Isn't it just keeping an eye out for newly installed software (potential malware if I haven't done installed something that I know about) and newly removed software?

When I manually, through task manager, tell the system to lower psi's priority from Normal to Low, my system runs noticeably better, and the apparent cpu time devoted to psi.exe goes way down.

What do you suppose that the clever Danish engineers did between version 0.9 and 1.0 that might cause this?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Friendly Dutch RE: PSI slows computer
Member 14th Dec, 2008 15:58
User Since: 4th Jan 2008
System Score: N/A
Yes, I also notice (a hughe amount of registry accesses by PSI version 1.0.0.1. It doesn't affect my PC too much but why is this necessary?

I was running ProcessMon (Microsoft/SysInternals) when I noticed psi.exe continuously accessing the Registry. Program Monitoring is turned off. No scan is running. I only have the PSI GUI open to review the results from the last scan.

Windows XP Prof SP3
P 4 CPU 240Ghz
2.39 GHz 2.50 GB of RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
BigDave_39 RE: PSI slows computer
Member 14th Dec, 2008 17:12
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
For what its worth. I'm running 1.0.0.1 as well, but I have yet to experience any type of slowdown or resource hawking. It works perfectly here with a 0% cpu usage (when running in the background) and ~30MB of memory usage, which by my standards is perfectly acceptable.

--
Big Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dtolley RE: PSI slows computer
Member 4th Feb, 2009 05:38
User Since: 4th Feb 2009
Last edited on 4th Feb, 2009 05:39
Have the same problem, psi.exe process frequently using almost 100% of he CPU. Uninstalled PSI v 1 and all is well again. Had no problems with the beta version. OS = XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, Version 2002, SP 3. Processor = Pentium M 900MHz. RAM = 1GB
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SirMax RE: PSI slows computer
Member 19th Jul, 2009 00:06
User Since: 18th Jul 2009
I am running it on Foxconn NF4UK8AA Series w/
DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2100 MHz.
Each time I make a change (ignore some program) it locks then runs and locks up again.
It does this every-time I make any changes to the listing.

During scans, it runs fine on the cpu which stays at
around 48% and memory at 100,332K

-Max
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mike_Boyd RE: PSI slows computer
Member 13th Dec, 2009 17:05
User Since: 13th Dec 2009
I'm having the same problem and will now un-install this product.

How can we trust the results this product gives when it makes the computer inoperable? It has clearly not been tested enough by the developers.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: PSI slows computer
Contributor 14th Dec, 2009 04:30
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Huh? Your responding to a thread that was started over a year ago. PSI is at ver 1.5.0.1 now, it's hardly the same program.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mike_Boyd RE: PSI slows computer
Member 14th Dec, 2009 18:14
User Since: 13th Dec 2009
on 14th Dec, 2009 04:30, thedillpickl wrote:
Huh? Your responding to a thread that was started over a year ago. PSI is at ver 1.5.0.1 now, it's hardly the same program.

Fred

I do beg your pardon. My mistake. My version is at 1.5.0.0 so I guess I'd better start a new thread even though the symptoms are exactly the same.

Huh?

[/sarcasm]

Q. Don't you guys believe that there may be something in these reports?

Q. Aren't you even the slightest bit curious to find out what is wrong with this product?

A. No, just make some sarcastic comment and hope the complaint disappears.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 15th Dec, 2009 06:08
Hi Mike_Boyd;

I apologize for my "huh?", perhaps I should restate by saying it this way: Please post the version (which you already have done, thanks) of PSI you are attempting to use. The thread you are posting to is a year old and is in referance to PSI ver 1.0 . You would get a better response from this forum if you started a new thread explaining the problem you are experiencing.

Hopefully you will reconsider uninstalling PSI for the time being and see if the problem can be resolved. PSI is very useful in keeping vulnerable software up to date, which will make your system more secure. I personally have tried similar software and have found none to even come close to what PSI can do.

As far as trusting the results PSI gives, it has a track record of good standing. Remembering that nothing is perfect, PSI comes close to the mark. Secunia is always striving to improve their products. PSI is their free version for personal computers. CSI is where they make the money, it's for corperate servers.

To answer the first question of your last post (I am only one "guy" BTW and not affiliated with Secunia), I would very much like to understand the problem you are currently having. The problems reported earlier in this thread were for a previous version and may well have been addressed long ago, the posts are not clear on that issue.

To answer you second question, this is why I monitor and respond to this forum, I am curious about the goings on with PSI users and very much wish to share knowledge and encouragement when I can. Most problems can be resolved simply by tapping the collective knowledge of those who frequent this forum. If a bug is found in PSI Secunia support can easily be reached by clicking on Contact at the bottom line of this page and clicking support@secunia.com. They are interested and will respond if there truly is a problem.

To respond to your answer, again I apologize for the sarcastic "huh?", but yes, I do hope the complaint disappears, because it is resolved, not ignored.

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Dec, 2009 20:41
I am the very same Left Coast Bernard who started this thread a year and a half ago.

I am now using the latest version of PSI, and I'm generally happy with the program. I'm proud of my 100% approval rating.

I make a practice of going into Task Manager and changing PSI's priority setting from Normal to Below Normal.

This keeps PSI from slowing me down when it wants to study things while I'm using my computer, and it has no effect on PSI when I'm not using my machine.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 17th Dec, 2009 02:35
Hi Left Coast Bernard;

Thanks for the tip and congratulations on the 100%! That's what I meant by "...tapping the collective knowledge of those who frequent this forum."

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: PSI slows computer
Expert Contributor 17th Dec, 2009 18:20
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi Fred aka FLV ,

Why are your postings so short and concise these days ??

Seasons Greetings :))
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 18th Dec, 2009 02:04
Dear Anthony;

My fingers are tired from writing Christmas cards!

Do you have a Christmas holiday on the Med? I mean it doesn't snow where you live, or maybe yes? If it doesn't snow Santa needs wheels to land!!!

ho ho ho;

FLV

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: PSI slows computer
Expert Contributor 18th Dec, 2009 14:40
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 18th Dec, 2009 16:09
Hey , FLV , downeyou now nuffin ; iz a MAGIC sleigh an it runners go anywares , see here :-

http://www.noradsanta.org/en/index.html

We have snow on the Med and mountains ,check out "Les Pyrénées Oriental" and "Les Alpes-Maritime".

Anthony:)

PS: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5062HU200901...

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
whaler RE: PSI slows computer
Member 29th Dec, 2009 01:09
User Since: 25th May 2009
I'm a little late to this party but my understanding is that windows 7 which you said you have uses a lot of ram compared to XP. XP can only utilize about 3.5 Gb of rma but all the newer boards built for W7 suggest a minimum of 4 and 8 is even better. I'm running W7 Ultimate 64 bit with 8 Gb of ram and Secunia does it's thing without ever slowing me down. If you open up system information and look at all the programs on your computer you'll be surprised at how many are running at any given time. You can change them to manual control and turn a lot of them off if you want to. I'd be surprised if you don't find that the molasses effect may come from any or all of the unnecessary programs that are running without most people ever knowing about tham. Secunia's a trickle in the ocean.

whaler
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability