Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Sygate Personal Firewall

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Sygate Technologies
And, this specific program:
Sygate Personal Firewall 5.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
MinaKate Sygate Personal Firewall
Member 13th Dec, 2008 17:47
Ranking: 0
User Since: 21st Oct, 2008
System Score: N/A
Secunia warns me that the above Firewall is end-of-life. No direct update is available.
It still seems to be working as it should. Anyone any thoughts on this?
MinaKate

This user no longer exists RE: Sygate Personal Firewall
Member 13th Dec, 2008 19:56
MinaKate, Sygate has been gobbled up by Symantec ( Norton ) so the only update is to un-install the Sygate firewall and purchase Symantec's firewall but I would rather be banished to live the rest of my days in the Artic with no Internet and 6 months of darkness.

I rely on my hardware router for a firewall but look at theses firewalls:
http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challeng...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MinaKate RE: Sygate Personal Firewall
Member 13th Dec, 2008 20:46
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Oct 2008
Hi, YoKenny,
Thanks for your quick reply. No way would I touch Norton - too much trouble the last time, uninstalling all the bits and pieces.
Guess I may just rely on the Windows XP firewall.
Cheers, MinaKate
Was this reply relevant?
+0
magicool1 RE: Sygate Personal Firewall
Member 25th Jan, 2009 14:25
User Since: 8th Feb 2008
Hi MinaKate
I did a web search for the best free firewall it came up with one that is head and shoulders above any other. 'COMODO' http://www.comodo.com/ I too have been running Sygate and was very happy with it. However now it has been taken over by Norton I just can't stomach even thinking about rubbing shoulders with them. I'm going with Comodo.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Tarq57 RE: Sygate Personal Firewall
Member 25th Jan, 2009 23:07
Score: 16
User Since: 20th Dec 2007
Comodo Firewall is very good. (And free.) Also very good is Online Armour, by Tall Emu. Both can have a bit of a learning curve, particularly if the HIPS-type features are activated. Once learned, they should offer very good security.
I use PCTools Firewall. Very easy to use, solid protection, perhaps not as configurable as some experts would like.
XP (SP2+) is a very good firewall, but does not control outbound. There is a very good (somewhat advanced) tutorial on setting it up here:http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=21...

--
Windows XP Home 32, SP3- patched as they are released, AMD 3500+, 2G RAM, avast 8.0, Autorun Eater, Secunia PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
VJ RE: Sygate Personal Firewall
Member 18th Jul, 2009 19:47
Score: 3
User Since: 20th Mar 2009
I'm with you on Symantec. I purchased NAV 2009 as I had used Norton for years. However, I got a tenacious Trojan on my computer which slipped past Symantec. Symantec had known about this Trojan since summer 2008 but could not automatically remove it. They recommended a removal tool that did not work. I was annoyed, I demanded my money back and got it! I then went for Avast Home Edition, not knowing where to go next for antivirus and a friend loaded on Sygate firewall without my knowing that good old Symantec had got in on the act.

So, I now have Sygate Personal Firewall showing with Secunia as being end of life and without my being able to update it. What to do? You check on the web to see which is best and everyone has a different opinion of the same products. The only thing I feel I can trust is Malwarebytes and Secunia.

Good luck to us all.

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Sygate Personal Firewall
Expert Contributor 18th Jul, 2009 20:34
Score: 2418
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 18th Jul, 2009 20:42

For Valerie ,

I have always trusted the advice given by Ian "Gizmo" Richards ( he is also recently associated with Windows Secrets ) - he outlines his basic approach to computer security & safe browsing in this article ; it's worth a read if you have the time :-

http://www.techsupportalert.com/how-to-secure-your...

If you then visit the rest of his site (click "home" at the top of the article page) , he and his volunteers provide a huge amount of info on what is around that they have tested ; it only covers FREE software - the principle behind the site.

I am doubly grateful to him as my PC came loaded with Norton A/V & he saved me from having to race Yokenny to the Antarctic (it's colder I believe
:-o))

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Sygate Personal Firewall
Contributor 18th Jul, 2009 20:57
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Hi Valerie,
I agree 100% with you on Secunia & MBAM-but for what it's worth here's another link you might want to check out-it's for Gizmo Richards @ techsupportalert- I've read a lot of good things here & other places about him, and he does a lot of research for FREE programs that really do work. It will cost you nothing but a few minutes of your time.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall...

Hope you're otherwise having an enjoyable weekend.
Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Jul, 2009 21:16

Wr and I cross posts again - lucky that we tend to agree a lot of the time :-o)))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jul, 2009 22:49
Stay away from Comodo:
http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2009/07/comodo-and-ong...
http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2009/07/comodo-still-s...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jul, 2009 10:26
Dear Anthony Well, WR, and YoKenny

Many many thanks for your kind advice. I shall indeed check the links that you have given me. I hope it is not in geek speak or I shall be non-the-wiser. As for the Arctic, I don't need to go. I'm in the dark half the time anyway as far as IT is concerned. What would I do without people like you to shed a little light on the situation.

I think Secunia perform an amazing service. I wrote some while ago asking just how advanced was their advanced and was given excellent advice. I have got rid of nearly all my security threats and am now 96% clear. Still working on it, I'm afraid. But I don't give up easily. In fact, I don't give up at all! :)

What is this 'Windows Secrets'. Is it a kind of break-away group from MS? I would really like to know.

Best regards to all. Hope you are all having a great weekend wherever you are. Here, in the north of England it has decided to rain. What a surprise! :)

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
magicool1 RE: Sygate Personal Firewall
Member 19th Jul, 2009 12:53
User Since: 8th Feb 2008
Update:
Owing to the fact that this thread was started last year, things have a way of changing with time. My original posting said I was going with 'COMODO' and I did, but only for a short while. As I found Comodo to be too overpowering. I only had to blink and it would pop-up and ask if it should allow that action! I'm sure there are people out there who think this kind of 'In your face' protection shows it's on the ball. I myself however, being a freeware junkie and as such always downloading software, found it to be a pain. I like a security programme to beaver away quietly in the background and leave me alone. So I got rid of it for a firewall that does just that 'Ashampoo' it's free and it keeps my PC clean, along with...
Avast, Spyware Terminator, Malware Bytes and Ccleaner.
I also use 'Auslogics Disk-Defrag' and 'Auslogics Reg-Cleaner' All freeware.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Jul, 2009 13:26
Last edited on 19th Jul, 2009 13:35
Hi Valerie ,

Being from the NW myself , you'll be 'orrified t'ear that it's crackin' flags down here on the Med - well , someone has to bear it.:-o))

On your other thread , let Maurice clear up your Office and Flash problems , he's ace at the job , so you are in good hands .

I have never found Gizmo's site too "geeky" & I am resolutely non-techie as can be ; the language is pretty user friendly . He used to have a superb Newsletter , but had to join up with WS , which is not the same thing.

WS try to give "independent" advice to Windows users ; they have a free & a paid weekly Newsletter - it has lots of good info , but does get a bit "geeky" for me , at times ; but then everything has it's learning curve . I think wr might agree on this.

This is the link to their latest Newsletter

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/090716

(= 'ave just checked the link , when you have time scroll right thru' it answers all your questions ??=)
As for what to use on your system , I personally tend to go for what I can understand & what gives me confidence & makes me happy - rather as Gizmo suggests ; I find that if you try one thing at a time , it's easier to decide or change your mind , as you wish .

Let us now how you get on

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jul, 2009 09:53
Last edited on 20th Jul, 2009 09:56
Hi Anthony,

I would be jealous about the Med but after living in Barbados for 10 years, I think I have had my fair share of sunshine without resenting others theirs! :D Sorry, had to get that in.

Maurice is extremely helpful - and patient! I am glad to read your comment that I am in good hands. I did not doubt it though.

I shall check out the link that you provided. Not sure about trying and testing various things as I cannot tell whether they work or not. If they find no malware/viruses does that necessarily mean that there are none! I am the dummy they write the books for! I loved NAV and found it easy to use but was furious when the Trojan slipped past NAV2009 and they asked me for £70 to fix it. My faith in antivirus programmes has been shattered somewhat.

I will let you know how I go on with the end-of-life programmes.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Jul, 2009 12:34
Last edited on 20th Jul, 2009 12:36
Hah ! You don't fool me , Valerie ; it's not only clement here , I'm hemmed in by wine !:-o)

No security system in Windows is 100% and "is it working because it hasn't found anything ?" is the stuff of nightmares . "Back up" all the stuff you cannot afford to lose ; then back up your basic security with a reserve system :eg: you should only run one A/V at any time , but this does not prevent you having another one in "reserve" , which is not "running/on guard" & which you run "on demand" , say once a week , to recheck everything . I use Avira's Antivir (free) as my back up A/V & I use SAS & MBAM (both free)as my back up A/S , for example .

Obviously , good surfing practice & effective prevention are better than "clean up" afterwards , so using what you understand & are happy with is important to test yourself , rather than the software , & find your comfortable combinations !

Bonne Journée
Anthony

PS : I love the Bajan accent , always sounds part Cornish to my ears !!

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jul, 2009 11:55
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2009 22:52
Dear Anthony

I have sympathy for your plight, being hemmed in by wine.

I have a 400Gb computer, and a 500Gb Personal Media Drive which I use, as well as many backup DVDs for my programmes. Nothing goes to my PMD without many scans first. I have thousands of music files which I protect avidly. I am one of the few people who do not own a TV!

I used to use Trendmicro Housecall as a scanning device but it kept on finding the same number of 'problems' each time despite clearing them off. I found that a little odd. Someone suggested Panda which I used but, while it found suspicious things, it was not clear that it had actually removed them after I had waited hours for it to complete its work.

I use Malwarebytes for spyware etc and love it. I think it does the job and I am contemplating paying for the version which has Realtime Protection, however, my concern is that it will slow down my machine or conflict with any antivirus I might have now or in the future.

What are your thoughts on all this, please?

Valerie

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jul, 2009 14:04
on 21st Jul, 2009 11:55, VJ wrote:
and enjoy P2P experiences - hence my using Avast Home Edition!

I use Malwarebytes for spyware etc and love it. I think it does the job and I am contemplating paying for the version which has Realtime Protection, however, my concern is that it will slow down my machine or conflict with any antivirus I might have now or in the future.

What are your thoughts on all this, please?

Enjoy your wine and sun. We all deserve much happiness in life.

Oh, I had heard that some thought the Bajan accent quite Cornish. I lived in Cornwall for years too. However, mine is an ironed out Yorkshire one.

Valerie

Read about the perils of P2P:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-center/vi...
http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/spyware_virus/p...

I have Malwarebytes realtime and it does not interfere with avast! nor slow down my systems.

I lost my Geordie accent after living in Canada for many years but I do like the TV show Heartbeat as it reminds me of Durham where I'm from.

Finally sunny here after many days of rain and clouds.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jul, 2009 17:22
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2009 22:53
Dear YoKenny

Thanks for advising me about Malwarebytes. I shall subscribe now to obtain Realtime.

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Jul, 2009 18:23
Last edited on 21st Jul, 2009 19:27
Hello Valerie ,

Just lost my post , so here goes again - I'm going to post in bits and then edit to add more - so please wait for the end !!

Now that you & Maurice have cleaned up , it's on to firewalls (other steps as needed) . As a general comment , I find Gizmo's site balanced & not commercially biased & rerecommend his "Security" article I gave you in an earlier post ;-

http://www.techsupportalert.com/how-to-secure-your...

If you scroll down to the end , he gives within site links to all the different types of software they have looked & may interest you.

I don't know about the UK , but my internet provider "gives" me a "modem" with a "hardware" firewall in it , this is a good thing - see if you have or can get one.

TO replace "sygate" you need a "software" firewall & the "free" ones are assessed you know where. As the latest ones tend to include "HIPS" , you may want to read up on it as it could shape your choice:-

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/hips-expla...

(sorry bad link - this is better)(yes , it is)***

Later on ; to protect yourself from you bad surfing habits , Gizmo refers to "drop my rights" & sandboxes ,etc. I think these would expand your security ; but they do not suit everyone , so no rush . I was lucky to have a sandbox from the outset & would not be without it - habits etc.
Note that Chrome uses a "sandbox" system , but does not restrict downloading as rigorously.

Purely from my own experience , I would not run two A/Spyware "on guard" at the same time - plus , the added benefit is unclear.

You seem to have a pretty good base as it is , so it
( oops a daisy - that tried to getaway as well )
is more a question of adding real benefits like back up/on demand software & improving habits - from where I'm sitting , that is.

I notice you mention a PMD for your treasure ; the experts tell us to back up the back up - on a different media if possible .Depends on your paranoia setting .but they could be correct.

Not sure if that covers all , but it is something to be going on with & I'm sure plenty of others will correct me where I'm wrong & have additional advice.

Ta Ta fer nou
Anthony

(OK , I"m done . Don't hesitate to ask about anything that isn't clear as mud :))

***PS: I consider "HIPS" to be a useful benefit to me - even if "MidnightCowboy's" article is on the long side.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Jul, 2009 20:55
Last edited on 21st Jul, 2009 21:01
Hello Valerie

It may help if you follow the most straightforward system . Apart from Sandboxes & details , Maurice & I are not so far apart** - as my base I use a paid for Internet Security Suite & use support programmes similar to those he uses ( with my budget - mine are "free")

As you feel confident with his advice , why not ignore this thread & stick with him .

We can still help out if either of you need us .

Take care
Anthony.

**as they say down here "chacun a son gout , chacun a ses defauts"

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jul, 2009 10:42
I am confident with and very much appreciate advice from both you and Maurice but I don't always understand what is said in the links though I hate to admit it. There is sometimes terminology that means little to me but I learn quite fast and am picking things up as I go along.

It took ages to get my pc back to normal when I had to use recovery disks early this year and as I have to do everything myself, it can be a bit scary. I always feel like one wrong move and my screen will go black with no sign of life! I have been told I could take my computer to an IT shop, but I cannot get my computer to a shop! So, I rely on the kind advice of people like yourselves.

Many thanks for your guidance.

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jul, 2009 11:16
Last edited on 22nd Jul, 2009 11:38
Hi Valerie ,

I think you are doing great & doing it by yourself is tricksy. Black/blue screens are desperate & you may need to find someone local (up there in the hills) as emergency back up . If you stay careful the BOD's will leave you alone . In the meantime , tink about backing up the back up of your most treasured.

The important thing is to carry on learning & gain confidence - and independence - in your decisions .

Just make sure you know how to use the firewall you get - despite any "rating" , it has to work for you . You can always "update" if your ideas/needs change .

On a frivolous "note", have you looked at "Spotify" - sort of a free/paid version European version of Itunes - without the hassle - finds things you have completely forgotten .**

http://www.spotify.com/en/

Always happy to hear from you

Bonne Journée
Anthony

** I have a spare spotify invitation , but you should not need one in the UK

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jul, 2009 15:40
Last edited on 22nd Jul, 2009 15:40
Hi Anthony

My treasure is backed up, onto CDs and DVDs. What a pain it all is!

I don't have any choice but to do it myself (and that is not entirely a bad thing as I like to be independent). I could pay someone to come out and look at my computer if need be but I prefer never to get to that stage if I can avoid it! :)

I do have Spotify already but it works badly, just as badly as my internet connection. That is being taken up with the provider.

What is a BOD?

I am truly worried about the firewall and waiting to see what Maurice has to say (if he hasnt left town!) :) I checked download.com (CNET) and they rate NAV2009 but the users dont. Same story with the rest of the firewalls. Users slate them. So, what then? My biggest fear is installing one and then it not allowing what I need. I don't understand about portals and suchlike and I don't know how to configure things etc. I rely so heavily on my computer that it is ridiculous really.

Buenos dias

Valerie

on 22nd Jul, 2009 11:16, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hi Valerie ,

I think you are doing great & doing it by yourself is tricksy. Black/blue screens are desperate & you may need to find someone local (up there in the hills) as emergency back up . If you stay careful the BOD's will leave you alone . In the meantime , tink about backing up the back up of your most treasured.

The important thing is to carry on learning & gain confidence - and independence - in your decisions .

Just make sure you know how to use the firewall you get - despite any "rating" , it has to work for you . You can always "update" if your ideas/needs change .

On a frivolous "note", have you looked at "Spotify" - sort of a free/paid version European version of Itunes - without the hassle - finds things you have completely forgotten .**

http://www.spotify.com/en/

Always happy to hear from you

Bonne Journée
Anthony

** I have a spare spotify invitation , but you should not need one in the UK

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 22nd Jul, 2009 18:13
Last edited on 22nd Jul, 2009 18:49
Hello Valerie ,

Being all backed up is the key - if you get attacked again , unlikely , but nothing is 100% - your stuff is safe & you only lose time if you have reinstall from a disc . The techies often seem to do that when their system slows up & a good clean out may help . Not for me , yet or soon , I hope :-o)). Anyway , you already know what to do .

I knew it - BOD is slang for Blue/Blackscreen of Death - I use these shortcuts being a one finger typist .

Nobody will agree with your choice , but like I said , that doesn't matter as long as it works for you .

I have a very good (lucky !!) deal on a top rated Security suite : I chose it because of it's firewall quality (including the dreaded HIPS ), very good A/V & reasonable A/S. Admittedly I use a Sandbox which I find gives me added freedom when surfing , but I would not change my selection criteria **; but they are only mine & others may not agree.

Free you can always change your mind , paid versions usually give you a trial period make sure you use it & learn about the software - they usually have an auto learn feature which helps start you up ; & don't worry about changing your mind , you are the Boss.

** I can only run one "software" firewall at a time & a back up is not realistic , but I can have an on demand Back up A/V & two or three Antispyware back ups . For me I only run my suite's "active guard" even if some A/Spyware programmes seem to go/"play" together ; the people I consider "experts" say it's better to avoid running together two progammes which do the same thing . Every one relates to their own experience ; I like & rely on SAS & MBAM , but I only use the free versions on demand .

Just as an example , I had a respected/reliable A/S "on guard" & life was calm ; one day it updated & changed the insides & also added some A/V capability ,without my being aware , there was a severe clash with my suite that took two days to sort out . It can also happen the other when your suite updates , which you tend to allow automatically .

I'm sure Maurice will point you in the right direction .

Let us know your progress.

Apperitif time , donc , Ciao et santé

Anthony.

**PS : my proirity aim/criteria is to keep a clean machine clean ; cleaning out malware is a different matter .I am also lucky that my suite has improved it's A/V & A/S since I bought it .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jul, 2009 12:56

Hi Valerie , How's things .

I came across this on Gizmo's site ; it's quite brief & easy(?) to understand:-o))

http://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/sec...

Comodo have a free version of CIS & a paid version which offers a help/repair service - you can test it before you decide . CIS also includes a nifty "Trojan" killer called BOClean .

You can also get all the bits separately.

Good luck with your search .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Jul, 2009 19:12
Hi Anthony

Thank you for explaining BOD. Seen it once. That was enough!

I don't always know what you are talking about. You obviously know much more about these things than I do. I never heard of a Sandbox (only played in one as a child). Sorry. You need to talk to me in pc dummy speak. I think you think I know far more than I do! Thank you for the vote of confidence.

What A/V package do you have that you refer to? I am not sure you mentioned it by name. Did you? What is the on demand backup A/V to which you refer? Is it SAS and MBAM? Never heard of them. I used Trendmicro Housecall but it took more than 2 hours to finish and it kept coming with me having about 117 threats at each time it did it when NAV2009 and Malwarebytes found none.

Maurice has been very good to me and he speaks my language - pc for dummies language - which I am sure is just for my benefit and simple comprehension. hahaha

Raining here like the tropics. Lovely!

Best regards
Valerie

on 22nd Jul, 2009 18:13, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hello Valerie ,

Being all backed up is the key - if you get attacked again , unlikely , but nothing is 100% - your stuff is safe & you only lose time if you have reinstall from a disc . The techies often seem to do that when their system slows up & a good clean out may help . Not for me , yet or soon , I hope :-o)). Anyway , you already know what to do .

I knew it - BOD is slang for Blue/Blackscreen of Death - I use these shortcuts being a one finger typist .

Nobody will agree with your choice , but like I said , that doesn't matter as long as it works for you .

I have a very good (lucky !!) deal on a top rated Security suite : I chose it because of it's firewall quality (including the dreaded HIPS ), very good A/V & reasonable A/S. Admittedly I use a Sandbox which I find gives me added freedom when surfing , but I would not change my selection criteria **; but they are only mine & others may not agree.

Free you can always change your mind , paid versions usually give you a trial period make sure you use it & learn about the software - they usually have an auto learn feature which helps start you up ; & don't worry about changing your mind , you are the Boss.

** I can only run one "software" firewall at a time & a back up is not realistic , but I can have an on demand Back up A/V & two or three Antispyware back ups . For me I only run my suite's "active guard" even if some A/Spyware programmes seem to go/"play" together ; the people I consider "experts" say it's better to avoid running together two progammes which do the same thing . Every one relates to their own experience ; I like & rely on SAS & MBAM , but I only use the free versions on demand .

Just as an example , I had a respected/reliable A/S "on guard" & life was calm ; one day it updated & changed the insides & also added some A/V capability ,without my being aware , there was a severe clash with my suite that took two days to sort out . It can also happen the other when your suite updates , which you tend to allow automatically .

I'm sure Maurice will point you in the right direction .

Let us know your progress.

Apperitif time , donc , Ciao et santé

Anthony.

**PS : my proirity aim/criteria is to keep a clean machine clean ; cleaning out malware is a different matter .I am also lucky that my suite has improved it's A/V & A/S since I bought it .

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jul, 2009 20:04
Last edited on 23rd Jul, 2009 21:12
Hello Valerie ,

I'm going to post & edit in bits (+ very slow typing) - so put kettle on , we may be here sometime .

OK , you are not alone , I seldom know what I am talking about & definitely no more abbreviations or shortcuts .

SAS = SuperAntiSpyware & MBAM = MallwareBytes' Anti-Malware .

I am used to computers since using room(s) sized computers for Research & Project Analysis in the 60's ; but I've only had a PC for just less than 3 years , so I only know how to pass on my experience in words I've been given & that my brain understands in it's non-techie way. Hence , it can come out like garbage to many people - luckily kids understand me - which means it's Sandbox time .

A sanbox derives from our Java's technology . If you read the Google Chrome picture book they explain it quite well . It's like your PC Hard-drive (HDD) is visible to the sandbox & anything else you put in there -like your browser & all the websites you visit - but what is in the box can use what it reads but it cannot actually write to or physically download onto your HDD & attack you. Nothing is 100%
& Chrome is less protective than is Firefox (Ff) in my Sandbox ( I only use IE to update Windows , but it can be run in a sandbox ) - I use the programme "Sandboxie". Luckily , I grew up with it & my complicated Security Suite & having mastered them over time , they cover all my needs , & that is all I really need . The "hardware" firewall in my box (modem) from my Internet Service provider (ISP) is a real bonus.

This is the link to the Chrome comic which talks about sandboxes & has pictures !!-o)) :-

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

Back up security can be "on-line" or "on-demand" & downloaded on your PC but not running in any way .

So I have MBAM & SAS sitting on my PC & can choose to scan with them when I wish &check on the AntiSpyware (A/S) part of my Suite . They seem to be clash free (crosses fingers)

I have always had Avira's Antivir (free) downloaded as my back up AntiVirus (A/V). It has grown up & is now A/V &A/S combined . It has never clashed with my Suite . Even so , obviously it's "guard system" is not allowed to run & when I run the scanner , I turn off the Suite A/V ( it then nags me to turn it back on , a good thing = ).
Rather by chance I have A2Squared free scanner which has changed almost overnight from laughable to top rated , it is plagued with false positives but has almost 100% malware detection . I treat it in the same way as AviraAntivir , but I get the feeling it would clash with lots of things , if not under lock & key .

I have used Trend micro & Panda on line but was not convinced . I tested BitDefender Quick Scanner as a beta but the later releases tried to clash with anything that moved - I sat very still - but I know where to go looking when all else fails !!(hopefully never).

There are other things like anti-rootkit scanners , but I doubt that I need 75% of what I have , I don't have a space/HDD problem so they are there. How often/if they get used depends on Paranoia , but I feel that they should be used every so often .

It's still hot & I've moved from green jasmine tea to a nice fruity local Red .

Hope this is partly intelligible , just keep doing your research & ask questions (first).

Tropical rain in Yorkshire ?? Who are you trying to kid ??

Bonne Appètit

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Jul, 2009 21:14
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2009 22:58
Hi Anthony

thank you for taking the time and trouble to explain at length what you mean. It sounds far too complex for me. Maybe I am lazy but I like things really simple but I am very keen on my computer remaining clean.

I paid for Malwarebytes yesterday and trust it. I have been happy with Avast Home Edition and love the way it updates once or thrice a day! Maurice refers to Comodo which I shall check. Avast has caught viruses and deleted them at the click of a button. I do want a backup online scanner and was not too sure about Trendmicro and I also read something admitted by their company, allegedly, which was none too impressive.

Enjoy your wine. I just made myself a strawberry smoothie.

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jul, 2009 21:48
Last edited on 23rd Jul, 2009 22:28
Here's to your smoothie , Valerie , (tend to have mine for brekkie ; but not known to say no ).

By what you say your bad surfing habits are , then a "software" firewall in place of the windows standard would make me feel more comfortable .

For what it's Worth (FWIW) , if I were forced to change my system then the Comodo** Firewall would likely be my joint 1st choice , you could use it on it's own with Avast + MBAM & you have a good base.
Replacing the Avast bit with the Comodo Internet Security bit would probably not change much other than having everything in the same "house" (& the service option in the paid version).
I personally would not buy anything unless I was sure I liked it & would use any trial period/free offer I could .

HaH ! Still sounds like a light summer shower to me , try a real African storm for size !!

Take your time & keep smelling the flowers.

Anthony

**the fuss about Comodo is a "blogger" & she is half wrong/silly & the other part refers to "business ethics" ; as there are no ethics in business whatsoever , it's a convoluted storm in a teacup & does not alter the quality of the firewall.

PS; Kaspersky do a good on line scanner , it's a bit
heavy as you need to load everything each time , but then you don't need it everyday .

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jul, 2009 21:49
Last edited on 23rd Jul, 2009 21:50
Double post !! Deleted

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jul, 2009 20:17
Hi Anthony

Hope all is well, wherever you are.

Thank you so much for the link to Kaspersky (I usually spell that wrongly!). I shall indeed check it out. I am staying with Windows firewall for the time being and am checking out, with Maurice, my idea for buying the Avast Professional.

I was kindly sent a link to listen to comments by one of the designers of Malwarebytes (which I trust) and I was impressed by what he had to say. It made sense to me. He rated Avast as freeware but did say that he considered the paid version of Kaspersky one of only two paid AVs that he would consider.

Best regards. Have a great weekend.

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability