Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Hang at Startup After Install

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
jnoni Hang at Startup After Install
Member 30th May, 2011 16:18
Ranking: 0
User Since: 30th May, 2011
System Score: N/A
I am yet another victim of this bug where, after installing, the UI opens, but you don't even get the first "red dot" (never says verifying internet connection).

Has anyone actually gotten this fixed without reinstalling the OS?

I am another person who "doesn't use IE", so I could go to defaults, if I needed to. I thought it might have to do with a local proxy that I use here (Astaro), but after I saw the "hang" the first time, I opened that machine to access the internet directly. The firewall logs showed the machine was still hitting the proxy, so I changed IE settings to remove the proxy, but the program continued to insist on hitting the proxy server (which is authenticated, and there's no prompt for password, so there's no way that's going to work).

So I uninstalled (didn't clean the registry and didn't reboot), and reinstalled. No joy.

Sure would be nice if this problem could be addressed once and for all.

--Dale--

Anthony Wells RE: Hang at Startup After Install
Expert Contributor 31st May, 2011 00:00
Score: 2425
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi Dale ,

The PSI will not work if you are using a proxy .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jnoni RE: Hang at Startup After Install
Member 31st May, 2011 23:43
Score: 0
User Since: 30th May 2011
Yes, I did read that it won't work if you use a proxy.

That's why I disabled the proxy configuration from both IE and Firefox.

And that's why I opened the firewall so the machine could connected to the Internet without the proxy.

And I was convinced, when I looked at the firewall logs, that the browser in that machine was hitting the Internet directly.

So, no proxy, yet it still hung the same way. No first red dot.

It mystified me as to why the application kept trying to go through the local proxy server; the logs clearly indicate that the application was hitting the local proxy server/port, even after I deactivated the proxy configuration in both browsers.

This will obviously not work with an authenticated proxy server, since it never asks for a password. But it's not as simple as "PSI never uses a proxy server" because it's really trying (too hard) to use it. And not only does it try to use it, it's apparently pretty difficult to make it "forget" there's a proxy server out there, that it once found based on (presumably) IE config. I've dealt with several applications that just take IE proxy settings without telling the user, or giving the user the option to ignore IE. That in, in itself, would be a "feature", but never letting go of IE defined proxy settings, even when they are disabled, would be a bug.

Or is there a way to really make sure that PSI forgets about proxy servers that it may have seen in the past? Because that just might allow it to work.

--Dale--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

Alicehavelock

RE: Hang at Startup After Install
[+]
This reply has been deleted
Maurice Joyce RE: Hang at Startup After Install
Handling Contributor 3rd Jun, 2011 10:10
Score: 11581
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Alice,
It is much better if U create your own thread. If Dale solves his problem he has the option,as the originator,of locking the thread preventing further communication.

To give the best advice we need to know your OS & SP + whether U have a 32 or 64 Bit system. If a proxy is involved this should be included in the description of the problem.

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Jun, 2011 23:08

Hello again Dale ,

Secunia support will not be back until Monday (CET) and my technical incompetence is not likely to assist you .

What might help you in your quest is that the PSI is using the embedded part of IE for it's connection to the Secunia servers ; as the actual browsers (IE and Ff) are not specifically relevant other than the required IE settings here :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

and so you may need to dig deeper in your control panel and look at something in terms of "internet connections" to try to "reset" the system or get round the proxy .

If Secunia personnel do not pick up here , you might wish to email to support@secunia.com early next week and pose your question directly .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Jun, 2011 23:46
Thanks Anthony. I'm chillin' on the install on that other box for now. My "main" machine is working fine (has been since December), and that's good enough for me, at least for now. One day I hope all machines in the house will work, though.

--Dale--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jun, 2011 15:25
Last edited on 4th Jun, 2011 15:26
So drinking my tea this morning I think of something I didn't try yet...removal of the proxy configuration config (before I had been just checking the box to deactivate the proxy config).

I de-installed from add-remove programs (no reboot), deleted the main secunia stuff from the registry, physically removed the data from the proxy config fields in IE, then installed again. Similar result. This time, a scan must have run because I had a score of 77%, as reported by the tray icon. But when I tried to open the UI, again, the first red dot does not show-up. I popped over to my browser (no proxy config, of course), typed in "https://psi.secunia.com" and it redirected me to the main page. When I start psi, I can see psi.exe try a bunch of connections. Most of them drop right away, but there's one with some data sent and received. psia.exe also has data sent and received, but I never see "verifying internet connection."

So now I see the old version on the web page and decide to give that a try. When I download and install this one, I get an interesting, maybe enlightening result. Install seems normal. When I run the program I get a Windows "Data Execution Prevention" dialog, and Windows kills the process.

--Dale--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dominador69 RE: Hang at Startup After Install
Member 4th Jun, 2011 17:04
User Since: 4th Jun 2011
Hi there. I too am experiencing the same problem and I've tried configuring the proxies to no avail.

Any help will be much appreciated! :s

Dominador
Was this reply relevant?
+0

andreafwade

[+]
Member 5th Jun, 2011 17:42
on 4th Jun, 2011 15:25, jnoni wrote:
When I run the program I get a Windows "Data Execution Prevention" dialog, and Windows kills the process.
Oh, I should have mentioned, this happens even AFTER I add the program to the list of things that are supposed to get away with executing data as a program, as documented on some other threads here.

--Dale--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

BenoMill

[+]
old-boy RE: Hang at Startup After Install
Member 6th Jun, 2011 22:56
User Since: 6th Jun 2011
on 6th Jun, 2011 14:48, BenoMill wrote:
thanks for the info guys, I had the same prob, but now I fixed it.

thank again

Be good if you told us non tech people exactly how you fixed it. I also note nothing from Secunia tech people yet.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

kevins123

[+]

richnovak

[+]
Expert Contributor 7th Jun, 2011 20:45
Last edited on 7th Jun, 2011 20:48
Hi Dale ,

Looks like support are pretty busy atm ; have you mailed them direct ?? Let us know your progress .

As I remember , the DEP problem was fixed in parts , was maybe dealt with in the 2.0.x version updates or the sufferers (maybe) simply gave up and went away .

Your continued efforts allied to your tech abilities/specific knowledge may help others .

Not here for a while .

Take care

Anthony

PS : excuse edits , mouse is off it's cheese and is doing n'importe quoi !!

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability