Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Autoupdate progress

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
MacNala Autoupdate progress
Member 8th Jun, 2011 12:46
Ranking: 1
User Since: 9th May, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 8th Jun, 2011 12:47

When using autoupdate and get an insecure program which is offering an update it starts with Confirm update. After that there seems to be very little information about what is happening and how it is progressing. It finally gets to a point where it is "Waiting for update to complete" but never seems to finish. This particularly seems to happen in relation to Adobe Flash Player (NPAPI).

What is the way to find out what is happening?

Post "RE: Autoupdate progress" has been selected as an answer.
M.Hansen RE: Autoupdate progress
Secunia Official 10th Jun, 2011 15:20
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
Hi

Have you tried to close your Internet Browsers and other programs that uses the Flash component?
Anthony Wells RE: Autoupdate progress
Expert Contributor 10th Jun, 2011 18:59
Score: 2412
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

If it helps , I had this problem a couple of days ago when the Java JRE 1.6.x update stuck with the "Scan Results" page showing the same message - settings at "Prompt for auto-update" . This survived a reload , full scan , overnight shutdown and windows boot start/load , tray GUI opening and full rescan .

I then saved and ran the Java.com website installer using Firefox (deselecting the "generous" offer of a Yahoo toolbar) . The install was (very) quick and recorded by the PSI and it's tray pop-ups ; however , the "Scan Results" page would not let me scroll down but kept vigorously returning to the top of the page display - perhaps related to the default display of "insecure" status programmes at the top ?? - a programme exit of all 4 processes and restart from "all programmes" resolved the matter .

This is the first instance that I have had this experience , tho' it has been reported to the Forum on several/many occasions with different programmes ; no problem for me (apart the "waste" of time) but for the "average" user with no helpful dialogue displayed or obviously available in the PSI , easy to become confused .

Definitely no clue on my machine as to why the install looped (or whatever) out .

Hopefully support will comment after the weekend - national holiday Monday in France not sure about the Danes .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MacNala RE: Autoupdate progress
Member 10th Jun, 2011 20:05
Score: 1
User Since: 9th May 2008
Yes I had closed all those programs before starting the updating process.
It eventually completed the update after about 20 minutes. I had decided just to leave the machine alone, I used my other one, and it complted.

i would have expected some form of pop-up display of the progress but I suppose it would be difficult for PSI to know what is happening in the case of all programs.

Sometimes I think it might be better to revert to the No Autoupdate ike the earlier versions.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Autoupdate progress
Expert Contributor 11th Jun, 2011 11:30
Score: 2412
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello again ,

Secunia and many vendors are on record in recommending that the "best" way to update your software is to use the programme's inbuilt "updater" - often in the Tools or Help menus ; otherwise check out the vendor website for the latest advice , installer , etc . Both methods keep you hands on in your updating and , in my experience are quicker and involve less hassle .

Many people fail to do this or are not confident to do this and leave themselves with flawed software and exposure to the bad guys . If you are happy to have confidence in the PSI software to do the job for you and , with the latest versions of the installers and the PSI , there is no reason not to - for the average user who is not "hands-on" with such things - then the PSI system and in particular the "auto-update" is a great help ; this can be seen in the change in traffic on this Forum .

It does take longer but usually gets there in the end , as in your case , and occasionally seems to foul/loop out , as in my case ; not sure what extra dialogue the PSI can add except , in this world of relentless desire for instant gratification , that patience is a virtue :))

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability