Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia PSI didn't update Java correctly

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Jesant13 Secunia PSI didn't update Java correctly
Member 10th Jun, 2011 23:43
Ranking: -3
User Since: 10th Sep, 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 11th Jun, 2011 00:36

Yesterday, as far as I knew Secunia PSI automatically updated Java. It took a while for the process to complete.

I discovered today that Java wasn't working in Firefox. I looked in Firefox's Add-ons Manager and discovered that Java was missing. I opened Internet Explorer up, and a test on the Java website confirmed that Java wasn't working in IE either.

I then checked the Control Panel, and I found Java was missing. It was also missing from Programs and Features.

What I find interesting is that Secunia PSI shows Sun Java JRE 1.6x / 6.x in the list of programs and plug-ins for Firefox, IE9, and IE9 (64-bit). In "Scan Results", it also shows up.

According to Secunia PSI, Java is at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe", and the detected version is 6.0.260.3.

I had Firefox open when Secunia PSI was "updating" Java. Since yesterday, I have rebooted my computer and ran a scan, and Java is still detected.

Anthony Wells RE: Secunia PSI didn't update Java correctly
Expert Contributor 11th Jun, 2011 11:52
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hi ,

I had a problem with the Java update the other day as per my two posts to this thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/951...

Your case seems rather bizarre but may have been complicated by leaving Ff open when installing ; by routine , I close as many programmes as I safely can before I run any installer or internal programme updater - saves me lots of hassle .

I suggest you reboot and run a full scan with the PSI and/or ignore the PSI and go to Java.com with your Ff :-

http://www.java.com/en/

download the installer , close everything you can and run it .

Let us know how you get on .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Jesant13 RE: Secunia PSI didn't update Java correctly
Member 11th Jun, 2011 18:41
Score: -3
User Since: 10th Sep 2009
System Score: 100%
on 11th Jun, 2011 11:52, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hi ,

I had a problem with the Java update the other day as per my two posts to this thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/951...

Your case seems rather bizarre but may have been complicated by leaving Ff open when installing ; by routine , I close as many programmes as I safely can before I run any installer or internal programme updater - saves me lots of hassle .

I suggest you reboot and run a full scan with the PSI and/or ignore the PSI and go to Java.com with your Ff :-

http://www.java.com/en/

download the installer , close everything you can and run it .

Let us know how you get on .

Anthony

Thank you for responding to my thread. Before you replied yesterday, I did the following:

#1. I uninstalled Java from my computer.
#2. I restarted my computer, in case some parts of the Java installation had to be removed by restarting my computer.
#3. I installed Java, this time with some of my programs closed. I left Secunia PSI running.
#4. I then restarted my computer again.
#5. I then ran a scan in Secunia PSI and confirmed that Java was installed correctly.

I hope that what happened to me doesn't happen again. I don't know why Secunia PSI would screw up the process of updating Java. To my knowledge, Java was not even running during the update process. To compare, Secunia PSI has updated Adobe Flash Player before, and the most I've had to do was reload certain pages because Firefox said the plug-in crashed.

What happened to me actually reminds me of Google Earth. Once in the past, Google Earth partly removed itself instead of simply updating itself. This was confirmed to be a bug by multiple users on Google's forum. I thought I'd mention this in case it may be related to what happened to me with Java and Secunia PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jjwillhelp RE: Secunia PSI didn't update Java correctly
Member 14th Jun, 2011 07:12
Score: 1
User Since: 14th Jun 2011
System Score: N/A
Thanks for the info
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer