Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Google Chrome shown as End-of-Life version when it's not

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
jshiii Google Chrome shown as End-of-Life version when it's not
Member 11th Jun, 2011 03:18
Ranking: 1
User Since: 24th Sep, 2008
System Score: N/A
My scan today showed Google Chrome as being an earlier version, 11.0.696.77, and not the currently installed 12.0.742.91?

I double checked the version of Chrome and the installed version was the newest version (12). However, I downloaded and installed the updated version from Google.

I then re-scanned my PC and the program was no longer showing up in the scan results as End-of-Life?

James
Santa Barbara CA

jckinnick RE: Google Chrome shown as End-of-Life version when it's not
Member 11th Jun, 2011 10:54
Score: 5
User Since: 21st May 2010
Mine did the same thing i didn't install anything though because when i check for updates in chrome it said it was up to date.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: Google Chrome shown as End-of-Life version when it's not
Expert Contributor 11th Jun, 2011 12:34
Score: 2434
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 11th Jun, 2011 12:42
Hi ,

You do not need to reinstall if you do not wish to ; the Chrome internal/silent updates always leave the previous version behind ; it will display as a "zombie" file as an "insecure" or "EOL" version depending on it's actual status . Here is a copy of one of my posts :-

QUOTE :
1) EOL : this is the PSI's way of displaying the old platform when there is a platform change :ie: 11.x to 12.x has just occurred and 11.x versions show as EOl .

2)Manual update : In the past if you run a manual update with a downloaded installer , the older versions of the same platform are all removed and you just have the new one .

3)Auto silent update or update initiated via the "spanner *About* link" : this leaves the previous version behind ; if it is not a security update you will see the old version as a "zombie" file , but a "security" update will likely display the "insecure" version at the top of the scan results page . At platform change , the old platform's "last" version is eventually left behind "permanently" and displays as EOL .

4)Channel change : only one Channel per user for the Stable , Beta and Dev versions so changing channels removes all the other channel versions . Canary is allowed to be installed alongside .

5)Old_exe and older version files : I have only just come across this (old_exe) and since my post above , in my Canary directory I now have no old_exe version as a new_exe version has taken it's place , but I still have two .exe files . Dev still has just the one*** . In the past , any older .exe file versions would/will still only load the latest browser installed ; this is the case for my Canary installation . This would concur with the info from Google that the old version folder and it's .dlls are "technically" disabled ; so leaving the old .exe version behind would follow Google logic as we know it .

6)False positive : the PSI displays whatever it can see , find and get it's hands on ; whether the "insecure" findings are a "real" security risk depends .... ; hence zombie files and EOL platforms , etc .
UNQUOTE

To remove the old version files , click the [+] to the lhs of the old version display , click the yellowish folder icon without the red blob found to the left end of detected instance ; this will show you (in Explorer) the old version folder numbered and blue highlighted , right click and delete .

Hope that is clear enough .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

bahadur85

RE: Google Chrome shown as End-of-Life version when it's not
[+]
This reply has been deleted
Tito335 RE: Google Chrome shown as End-of-Life version when it's not
Member 13th Jun, 2011 06:07
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Jun 2011
Last edited on 13th Jun, 2011 06:30
so what is the cure for that in a simple way as i have the same issue but i did a lot of stupid thing
i found in my psi two things need to be updated (sun java jre1.6.x/6.x and 2 google chrome) 11.x (end of life) and 12.xx and i clicked the update for java
and for google: first - ichecked programs in control panel and found only one

so i hit (install solution) and it redirected me to google so i choose the language and hit accept and download and the allowed the program
and when loading started amessage appeared:(google chrome installer) installation failed . the google chrome installer does not support installing with adminstrator privileges.

so i opened the google browser >tools>about and a green check mark was ther with up to date 12.xxxxxxx

so what's that? why didn't it reinstall google?

also i found this amoung the programs in psi :microsoft mailicous software removal tool 64-bit. what's that ?
it's not listed among my control panel programs.

screen shots
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/googlepro...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/googlewas...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/psijava.j...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
annac RE: Google Chrome shown as End-of-Life version when it's not
Member 13th Jun, 2011 10:11
Score: 1
User Since: 13th Jun 2011
James I think you should check that your other application is also updated and they go along with they support the End-of-Life version. I found this link too. Hope it could help.
http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py...
Was this reply relevant?
+1

jonnyni31

RE: Google Chrome shown as End-of-Life version when it's not
[+]
This reply has been deleted
Anthony Wells RE: Google Chrome shown as End-of-Life version when it's not
Expert Contributor 16th Jun, 2011 21:27
Score: 2434
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 16th Jun, 2011 21:31
Hello Tito ,

If you read my post again you will see that using the PSI update link you do a full reinstall ; using the "spanner" to check/update your version saves you hassle and most times the update is done automatically/silently by the browser itself but you appear to have an error window preventing one or the other ; in this caes it might be the manual option , as the "spanner" had done it's job . I do not know why , so I suggest you pose the question on the Google Chrome help forum :-

http://www.google.com/support/forum/signup?hl=en&u...

:"mailicous software removal tool 64-bit. what's that ?" It is what it says it is and is downloaded and runs once (usually) every M$ patch Tuesday :-

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx...

Hope that answers your questions , if not ask again .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
jshiii RE: Google Chrome shown as End-of-Life version when it's not
Member 17th Jun, 2011 21:58
Score: 1
User Since: 24th Sep 2008
Thanks for all your input!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability