Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: After Patching removing some programs they are still there

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
sluggo123 After Patching removing some programs they are still there
Member 17th Dec, 2008 02:41
Ranking: 0
User Since: 21st Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 17th Dec, 2008 21:24

Netscape 8.x is still present after applying the solution several times and rebooting the computer the same number times

and the situation is the same with
Adobe Air 1.x

And I am told I still have two programs that need remove the security threats and no matter what I do I still get them. I patched them several times and rescanned the computer and lo and behold they are still there. I even removed on yesterday and was reported as being present.

I know the path where they are located and Secunia scan reports the path as being the same that I have. But I will search that again.

sluggo123 RE: After Patching removins some programs they are still there
Member 17th Dec, 2008 03:44
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Nov 2008
Both the of the offending programs were removed from the computer and I shut down and rebooted and ran Secunia again. It tells there is one security threat on my computer. It shows two:
1 Netscape 8.x and
2.Adobe Air 1.x

The secunia icon on the taskbar says there are two.
I have no idea what the one security threat is that Secunia says was there when I just ran it after I had removed the offending programs.
Help
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jscotteubanks RE: After Patching removins some programs they are still there
Member 17th Dec, 2008 13:19
User Since: 5th Apr 2008
System Score: 90%
Last edited on 17th Dec, 2008 15:03
Hey sluggo,

I don't know if this will help you, but I found that after clicking the + symbol next to the insecure program file, I found that a brand new program had an old version of java installed. Now that's probably not the same insecured program that you have but it can be the same principal. I just followed and went to where the insecured file was, deleted the old version of "let's say the .ocx file" or whatever, "you get what I mean",(before completely deleting the file, move it to your desktop or somewhere that you can readily retrieve it,in case the patched program fails.) then copy and paste the newly updated one into that file,(Run the program to be sure it works properly.) Basically, sometimes more than one program can use the same type of file. I found this especially true with java. So, I show two identically patched java files, even though they aren't exactly the same program or in the same location. Just look carefully at where and what the file is.

Hope this helps.

--
Foamy Rules!!!

jscotteubanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sluggo123 RE: After Patching removing some programs they are still there
Member 17th Dec, 2008 21:24
Netscape 8x is not on my computer Secunia insists that it is a threat. It also reports that Firefox is a threat and it too is removed from my computer. All day today I still get these reports. I am going to delete Secunia and reload it and run another if I still get these false positives what is the next step?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jscotteubanks RE: After Patching removing some programs they are still there
Member 18th Dec, 2008 00:13
User Since: 5th Apr 2008
System Score: 90%
Last edited on 18th Dec, 2008 00:13
Try running a search for the programs in question. "It is common for uninstalled programs to leave behind trash." And delete the leftover folders/files. Or just click the + symbol next to the insecured progam and follow the thread to find and delete the trash.

I like to use CCleaner to clean up my registry after an uninstall, it really helps.

Hope this helps.

--
Foamy Rules!!!

jscotteubanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Dec, 2008 01:27
I ran a search after deleting, nothing found then I ran a registry cleaner, I then deleted or removed Secunia and ran the the registry cleaner again. Still reporting the same to non existent files. They must be somewhere on the computer, I did a manual registry search and removed any thing that pertained to either of the offending programs. Still they are there. When I send this am going back and try it one more time.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: After Patching removing some programs they are still there
Member 18th Dec, 2008 12:51
sluggo123, what is the exact location of the reported programs?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Dec, 2008 15:04
My computer tells me these programs are not on the computer. However, I download Secunia again and ran it. This time it told me that I only had one program left that was a threat, it was Netscape 8.0 so I did a search and found nothing, but I ran the patch that Secunia wanted me to run and installed Netscape 9.x and it told me that I had no more threats yet when I run the pointer over the Secunia icon on the task bar it tells me that I have one threat left and that is Netscape 8.0. So next I will shut down the computer and reboot and see what happens.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Dec, 2008 15:18
When I rebooted the threat was still there. I ran the solution and when it finished it said the solution had been applied. Yet when I run the pointer over the icon it still tells me that have 1 threat left and yes it is still Netscape 8 which is not on this computer. It seems there is some kind of bug in Secunia.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Dec, 2008 18:15
Computers are sneaky. I did another search found nothing. Then for one last time I used windows explorer and this time Netscape 8 was there, it had not been there on previous searches, so I deleted it and got a green bar. Everything is A Okay. Thanks for all the help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer