Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Macromedia Shockwave player 8

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Shockwave Player 10.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
dxerswl Macromedia Shockwave player 8
Member 20th Jun, 2011 17:25
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th Jun, 2011
System Score: N/A
This programme is showing "end of life" when I do a scan.

I am aware that the programme has been replaced by Adobe and all I need to do is delete the programme, problem is that I can not see the programme on my computer.

I thought it best to unistall PSI and hoped that would clear the message. I reinstalled PSI again and did a scan and guess what the message about Macromedia came up again. All other software is up to date

I am impresed with PSI and I guess I will just have to accept that after a scan I will get this rogue message every time.

Unless someone knows how to get PSI to accept that I do not have Macromedia Shockwave player 8.

Maurice Joyce RE: Macromedia Shockwave player 8
Handling Contributor 20th Jun, 2011 17:46
Score: 11830
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I think U do have it. What path is PSI showing?

FINDING A FILE PATH

From the DASHBOARD page click on SCAN RESULTS.

1. This will list all your programmes with a + to the left of each one.
2. Click the + sign next to the item that U want help with.
3. This will reveal the path under DETECTED INSTANCES.
4. Highlight it then copy (CTRL+C) then paste (CTRL+V)) that path back to the Forum.
OR THIS METHOD WHICH GIVES A HELPER MORE INFORMATION
4a Below DETECTED INSTANCES you will see You can double click this row for additional information & options>double click it>a box will appear>click TROUBLESHOOT REPORT>Now highlight the information revealed from START to END & copy it (CTRL+C) then post it to the Forum (CTRL+V)

The end result U post to the Forum should look like this:
---START---

Program Name:
Apple iTunes 10.x

Security State:
Insecure

Download Link:
http://appldnld.apple.com/iTunes10/061-9638.201103...

Instances Found:
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe, version: 10.1.2.17

Last System Scan (localtime):
3. Mar 2011, 16:47

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3

---END---
Update 9 09:33 13/03/2011

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
ddmarshall RE: Macromedia Shockwave player 8
Dedicated Contributor 20th Jun, 2011 17:53
Score: 1212
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
PSI must have found a file belonging to Shockwave Player 8 on your computer.
You can find out where it is from the Trouble Shoot Report:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

It may be a backup location or the computer manufacturers distribution folder.

Use Ctrl+c and Ctrl+v to copy and paste the report here if you require further assistance.

If the file is in the normal Windows folder, the uninstaller on this page should remove all traces of Shockwave Player
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates...

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Midnight_Voice RE: Macromedia Shockwave player 8
Member 20th Jun, 2011 18:11
Score: 50
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
System Score: 96%
on 20th Jun, 2011 17:25, dxerswl wrote:
This program is showing "end of life" when I do a scan.

I am aware that the program has been replaced by Adobe and all I need to do is delete the program, problem is that I can not see the program on my computer.

I thought it best to uninstall PSI and hoped that would clear the message. I reinstalled PSI again and did a scan and guess what; the message about Macromedia came up again. All other software is up to date.

I am impressed with PSI and I guess I will just have to accept that after a scan I will get this rogue message every time.

Unless someone knows how to get PSI to accept that I do not have Macromedia Shockwave player 8.

Further to Maurice's excellent advice, which will enable you to find out where on your computer the code that PSI is detecting lives, be aware that PSI finds programs by scanning your file system, and has no idea if they are installed (i.e. runnable) programs or not.

So it's quite possible that you have an old, no longer used, copy of Shockwave 8 somewhere on your machine, and that PSI has found and reported this.

As you say, once you know where it is, which Maurice's advice will lead you to, you can safely just delete it, if it really isn't an installed program.

But before deleting it, just to be sure, go to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs (as it's called on XP; may be a slightly different name on Vista/Windows 7), let the list populate, and look for Shockwave 8 there.

If it's not present, or it shows a later version of Shockwave, possibly under the Adobe name, then exit Control Panel, and you can safely delete the old program - its whole folder, usually.

But if you do find Shockwave 8 in that Programs list, it's best to uninstall it from there.

Generally, when PSI 2.0 finds more than one version of a program, it assumes the later one is the installed one (though this is an assumption; it doesn't really know) and classes the older one as a Zombie installation, and generally you can safely delete that.

But sometimes - possibly as here, where the program has had a change of ownership between versions - it doesn't detect that it is an older version of a later program, and treats it as a separate program in its own right.

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz
Was this reply relevant?
+1
dxerswl RE: Macromedia Shockwave player 8
Member 21st Jun, 2011 10:40
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Jun 2011
Thanks, I found the file path and clicked on it, this took me to where it was on the computer. I was able to delete it from there. PSI reported that the programme had been deleted!!!

I have run a scan and I am 100% up to date.

Thanks also to the other replies.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Macromedia Shockwave player 8
Handling Contributor 21st Jun, 2011 11:14
Score: 11830
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Pleased U are all fixed up. I will lock this thread to protect our email boxes from any more "tag on" posts.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+