Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Error message trying open after new installation

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
hooverfamily Error message trying open after new installation
Member 19th Dec, 2008 05:54
Ranking: 0
User Since: 19th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
I tried to open Secunia PSI and got a message as follows:

Unable to retrieve PSI user ID from Secunia.

Please verify that you are able to connect to https://psi.secunia.com/ and then restart the PSI

NOTE: Proxy support for the PSI is currently unavailable, but is planned for a future release. If your system requires access to the Internet throught a proxy you will not be able to use the application at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

--
Hoover Family

sqlcs RE: Error message trying open after new installation
Member 18th Jan, 2009 20:57
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Jan 2009
System Score: 91%
I have the same problem on one of my PCs (ok, the message is shown in a different language ...). And as I'm sitting at exact this PC here and type this replay I can say for sure that the internet connection works, and there is no proxy installed / in use. On an other PC in our small home network the program can be installed and it works fine.

I've tried the suggestion from an other thread with resetting the IE7 settings (although I have FF 3.0.5 as my default browser), but it did not help.

Any suggestions for a solution would be fine. Also, if PSI would create some kind of log file or message with more details.

Thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
M.Hansen RE: Error message trying open after new installation
Secunia Official 3rd Feb, 2009 14:19
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
Last edited on 3rd Feb, 2009 14:20
Hi

Please check your IE/internet/firewall settings, and make sure the PSI is allowed to connect

Morten Hansen
hatelogins RE: Error message trying open after new installation
Member 9th Jun, 2009 22:06
User Since: 5th Feb 2009
on 3rd Feb, 2009 14:19, M.Hansen wrote:
Hi

Please check your IE/internet/firewall settings, and make sure the PSI is allowed to connect

Morten Hansen

In what possible way could that be considered helpful?

I have firewall turned off completely. I am using Firefox.

WTF is wrong with this version of secunia that is causing all these problems and incompatibilities?

I've installed it on other computers before but this laptop of a neighbor's is refusing to cooperate.

I have found zero helpful info from secunia. you can bet this neighbor will not be purchasing anything based on my non-recommendation.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
BigDave_39 RE: Error message trying open after new installation
Member 9th Jun, 2009 22:12
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
First of all, take it easy mate. People are just trying to help you out... it is a free service, remember?

on 9th Jun, 2009 22:06, hatelogins wrote:
In what possible way could that be considered helpful?

I have firewall turned off completely. I am using Firefox.

WTF is wrong with this version of secunia that is causing all these problems and incompatibilities?

Considering that it works for most other people, its most likely not a Secunia PSI problem per se. But more likely a configuration problem for this particular pc...

on 9th Jun, 2009 22:06, hatelogins wrote:
I've installed it on other computers before but this laptop of a neighbor's is refusing to cooperate.

I have found zero helpful info from secunia. you can bet this neighbor will not be purchasing anything based on my non-recommendation.

Again, the psi is a free service, as far as I know Secunia doesn't have any paid services for consumers... So doubt Secunia will be crying over the fact that you won't recommend your neighbor to buy something secunia...

Have you tried opening IE and see if you can visit https://psi.secunia.com/ with this pc?

--
Big Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Error message trying open after new installation
Contributor 9th Jun, 2009 22:48
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Hi all-it's not all that hard to make sure your internet connections are correct so that the PSI can connect to Secunias servers for whatever reason & basically using any browser. Secunia PSI is a free clone of a paid version. That's probably why IE is used by Secunia-their pay customers probably use M$ products almost exclusively. Anywhoo heres the guidlines-@ the bottom is suggestions for browsers other than IE-as you can see I use FF &I have no problems. BTW I don't use v.1.0.0.5Beta-I use 1.0.0.4 but I would think these suggestions would still work. Good luck.

The following steps are the latest version I know of to ensure connectivity to Secunias servers:

Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia servers to complete its scanning. However, if you have configured
the security settings of your Internet Explorer, the Secunia PSI may be prevented from getting the scan results. To receive
your scan results, you need to do some changes to your Internet options.
To do this:
a. Open Internet Explorer.
b. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security tab.
c. Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
d. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
e. Make sure that Active Scripting is Enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
f. Press OK then Yes.
g. Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
h. Look at the bottom of the page and take the tick from the box marked"Require server verification(HTTPS)for all site zones" then type in the following and press the Add button to add them to the Trusted Zone Sites list:
http:*.secunia.com
https:*.secunia.com
i. Press Close
j. Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results

If using a browser other than IE the settings can be accessed by clicking Start-Control Panel-Internet Options-then follow c thru j

Good luck & regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
BH31V RE: Error message trying open after new installation
Member 20th Jul, 2009 02:10
User Since: 20th Jul 2009
I am having the same problem. I have uninstalled, cleaned Registry and reinstalled PSI to no avail. I have set up IE settings as per above but still no joy. I have turned off Firewall and anti-virus also to no avail. HELP
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Sep, 2009 10:52
Still having the problem. It is NOT an IE7 issue as I have now installed IE8 and the problem persists. I am also getting :Revocation iformation for the security certificate for this site is not available" messages for all HTTPS sites I visit. Not sure if this is related or not but the problems both started at about the same time.

HELP
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 30th Sep, 2009 19:19
Last edited on 30th Sep, 2009 19:29
Hi BH31V,
1. Make sure that your timezone & current time displayed on your computer is correct.
2. Start>Settings>Control Panel>Internet Options>Advanced>uncheck 'check for server certificate revocation'.
Hope this helps.

Regards, wr
EDIT: Also make sure that your Security settings for IE aren't too restrictive-only need Medium or Medium High.

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Oct, 2009 00:23
THANK YOU!!! It was the Server Certificate revocation!! I had only removed the PROGRAM certificate Revocation tick til now. I wish I understood why so many servers react negatively to the Certificate Revocation check.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Oct, 2009 00:55
You're welcome & glad to hear all is well now. Thank you for posting back, this may help someone else.

Regards, wr

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
Was this reply relevant?
+0
chadcloman RE: Error message trying open after new installation
Member 20th Oct, 2009 11:00
User Since: 20th Oct 2009
Last edited on 20th Oct, 2009 11:14
Installed latest version of Secunia PSI and get this message. I've done everything I could find on these forums, to no avail:

1) Went into Internet Options > Advanced and clicked the "Reset" button.

2) Went into Internet Options > Advanced and made sure the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" and "Check for server certificate revocation" boxes are unchecked.

3) Went to Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites > Sites and added http://*.secunia.com and https://*.secunia.com.

4) Went to Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites > Sites and unchecked the "Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone"

5) Went to Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites > Custom Level and made sure that Active Scripting is set to "Enabled".

6) Went to Internet Options > Security > Internet and set the security level to medium (the lowest allowed).

7) Went to Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites and set the security level to low.

8) Disabled all firewall and filtering software.

9) My date, time, and timezone are all correct.

I'm using IE8 in WinXP Home SP3. Any suggestions?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Error message trying open after new installation
Expert Contributor 20th Oct, 2009 17:32
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
@chadcloman ,

If you look at wr's posting above (dated 9th of June) , you will see that the recommended order of events is your 5 , then your 4 and last you 3 .

I think (seem to remember) that the actual sequence can be important , especially 3 before 4 .

Some people seem to still have connection troubles when all appears properly set , if you check te surrounding threads.

Try again & see if it helps . Keep us posted .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer