Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: A few doubts after updating to v2

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
PunchsucKr A few doubts after updating to v2
Member 24th Jun, 2011 21:56
Ranking: 0
User Since: 12th May, 2010
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 24th Jun, 2011 21:57

Hi.. just upgraded to v2, found it to be miles ahead of v1.5, got a few questions though.

Q1:I'm running as a standard user on windows 7, with PSI set to auto start on boot and auto update without any user interaction; will running as standard user prevent it from doing that job?
i remember the last version could not start on boot running as a standard user (this one's tray icon is present and green currently on 100%).

Q2:When exactly will the vulnerable software (if any) be found and updated? will it be only after a scheduled automatic scan PSI completes after which it'l detect any vulnerabilities and update if updates are available OR will it detect vulnerabilities as soon as they're found and published by Secunia and the updates (or the vulnerability detections) will be pushed to my computer not first requiring a scan to complete?

Thanks for going through my post.

ddmarshall RE: A few doubts after updating to v2
Dedicated Contributor 24th Jun, 2011 23:15
Score: 1208
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Q1. You can run as a standard user. PSI runs as services in the System account.

Q2. In my experience it's a bit of both. Sometimes it happens automatically, sometimes it takes a scan.

--
This answer is provided ďas-is.Ē You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: A few doubts after updating to v2
Expert Contributor 25th Jun, 2011 10:33
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hi ,

On my fairly lean system , I find that re Q2 , a manual scan (or the weekly auto scan) is usually required to show up vulnerable programmes ; unless you have something like Chrome browser which silently updates and the PSI might react , although Secunia do take some time to update their detection rules . IF in doubt , check the Secunia Advisories or run a scan .

The insecure programmes are moved to the top of the "scan results" page ; if you do not want an auto update to run on you unexpectedly you can set it to "prompt" before updating in the "settings" module .

Hope that helps .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
PunchsucKr RE: A few doubts after updating to v2
Member 25th Jun, 2011 12:48
Score: 0
User Since: 12th May 2010
Thanks a lot for clearing that up Anthony Wells and ddmarshall.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
muffin RE: A few doubts after updating to v2
Member 25th Jun, 2011 18:26
Score: 3
User Since: 30th Oct 2008
i just updated to V2 and all went well. ( I unstalled v1 first.) i have 2 questions.

1. when i click on Secunai PSI manual.pdf, i just get a blank page. at the bottom of my screen it says there are 17 pages, but nothing is there.

2. with v1, i had an icon in my taskbar that let me know that psi was running and i could put my cursor on the icon and it would say if my programs were secure. i have put the v2 icon in my taskbar but it is not open. i need to click on it to open it. is that ok? is psi still monitoring my computer?

--
muffin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Jun, 2011 23:01

Hello Muffin ,

1)The Manual will be displayed by your PDF reader in your browser ; you do not say which Reader you are using in which browser on which OS . Does the page you see with the 17 page showing at the bottom have a slider on the rhs to let you scroll down ?? The whole manual is pretty long , I think the first page is just the SEcunia logo , if I remember correctly .

2)The icon is there to show that the PSI is loaded (at boot) and running . You open the PSI GUI by right clicking the icon and selecting the "Open Secunia PSI" , depending on your OS and user account you may be prompted to run as Admin - I cannot be 100% sure as I run XP and am automatically Admin . This system allows the PSI to load when you are not logged in as Admin and thus the PSI runs and "monitors" your system . If you mouse over the icon it should tell you your Secunia score . Remember that a programme vulnerability is not likely to be picked up until your next full system scan (auto or manual) . Once you get to read the manual , these things will be clearer to you .

Other questions are answered here in the FAQ , which may help your understanding :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 25th Jun, 2011 23:36
ok. i was able to drag the secunia icon to the right lowere area of my screen. it is green and when i hover my cursor over it is says my score is 100%. thanks!

i still cannot view the psi manual. i am using IE9 on a windows 7 machine. my pdf reader is foxit. i have had no problems with this reader. when i scroll through the page numbers that are listed on the bottom of my screen they are all blank. and all the buttons at the bottom of the screen. none of them work. can you help me?

--
muffin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: A few doubts after updating to v2
Handling Contributor 26th Jun, 2011 00:02
Score: 11710
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@muffin

Can U please confirm U are doing this with Windows 7 IE9.

Open PSI>Dashboard>Learn More>Secunia PSI Manual (PDF)

When U click the Secunia Manual link the IE Download Manager kicks in & U are given the option to Open or Save.

If U click the open option Foxit (in your case) should open it once the auto security check has been made by MS. The Secunia PDF File opens in all its glory.

I have just tested it with Windows 7 IE9 using Nuance Professional PDF Reader & it works perfectly.

At what point from what I have described does something fail?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 26th Jun, 2011 00:59
yes, i am using windows 7, IE9.

when i click on the secunia pdf at the left, there is no IE download manager and there is no option to open or save. i just get a blank screen and all the buttons at the bottom (to go forward, backward, etc) do not work. i can see that there are 17 pages but they are all blank. i just opened another pdf file using foxit reader and it worked fine.

thanks for your help.

--
muffin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jun, 2011 01:01
why does the bar at the left of my name on this forum say my system score is 98% when it is 100%.

--
muffin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 26th Jun, 2011 01:21
Open IE>click CTRL+J - what comes up on the screen?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jun, 2011 04:41
when i open IE and click control J, i get a box that says "view downloads internet explorer". the box is empty.

--
muffin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jun, 2011 07:18
Using pdf xchange viewer, gives me an error it isn't a valid pdf file after the download is completed. on windows 7, ie9.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 26th Jun, 2011 10:19
Last edited on 26th Jun, 2011 10:36
What happens to U both when U try to open this?

http://secunia.com/gfx/pdf/Secunia%20PSI%202.0%20-...

It should open the the Download Manager with an option to save or open. If open is selected it should reveal a readable PDF document.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 26th Jun, 2011 13:13
Maurice, the link opens up the manual just fine, but the same link throws up an error when i click the link on PSI. i suppose ie9 is using the admin account when i open the link via psi (which is where some problem lies), while clicking the link you've given its using my standard account...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jun, 2011 14:30
thank you so much, maurice. clicking on the link you provided worked. i got the manual as a pdf. i then went to the psi homepage and clicked on download the psi manual and i got it! what do you think was the problem.

--
muffin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 26th Jun, 2011 15:20
Pleased U both appear to be OK. As I am sure U are aware U have the option from the Download Manager to Save As ... & keep a permanent copy or drag the URL to the Tasktray that allows U to read it online at the click of a mouse without first opening the browser.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 26th Jun, 2011 18:27
yes, thanks, maurice.

do you have any thoughts on why the info below my name on the left says that my psi system score is 98% when it is 100%? 100% is what shows when i put my mouse on the green psi logo in the lower right corner of my scrren.

--
muffin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 26th Jun, 2011 18:29
No - that was reported a very long time ago. Not sure if anyone knows what causes it. Others appeared to have just ignored the % & gone for green.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 26th Jun, 2011 18:50
muffin, you could try going to ur profile and disabling the show my system rating option, save changes then enable it again and see if that fixes it..
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jun, 2011 19:36
when i went into my profile, the show my system score was unchecked, which is odd since i had checked it previously. i did what you suggested: checked it, saved that, went out and came back in and then unchecked it, saved that, went out and came back in and checked and saved. we'll see what i t shows now. thanks for your help.

--
muffin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jun, 2011 19:38
still 98%. i just looked at my profile and system score is still checked. i'm not going to be concerned about it. thanks.

--
muffin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Jun, 2011 20:18

Hello muffin ,

Pleased to see that Maurice Joyce has sorted your pdf viewing problem and I can confirm that the "incorrect" score here in the Forum is a long standing/known bug with no known source or specific correction :(((

Some people put their actual score in their signature , even if there are no prizes for being 100% ; what matters is that all your software is as fully patched as you can get it .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 26th Jun, 2011 20:59
i agree! thanks!

--
muffin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
johannecezar RE: A few doubts after updating to v2
Member 27th Jun, 2011 06:12
User Since: 27th Jun 2011
Impressive stuff here. The information and the aspect were just wonderful. I think that your viewpoint is deep, itís just well thought out and truly incredible to see someone who knows how to put these thoughts so well. Good job!

--
Teach your kids about [URL=http://thepottytrainer.com] potty training [/URL].
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability