Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: blue screen

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
newby blue screen
Member 26th Jun, 2011 15:47
Ranking: 1
User Since: 9th Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 26th Jun, 2011 15:53

When I leave the computer for a few minutes and come back, the computer has shut down and I get the following message:

Windows has recovered from unexpected shutdown.
Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.
View problem details:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: f4
BCP1: 0000000000000003
BCP2: FFFFFA8004718B30
BCP3: FFFFFA8004718E10
BCP4: FFFFF800033A0F40
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\062511-19812-01.dmp
C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-864682-0.sys data.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clci...

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I always click for an online solution but nothing happens. The computer in question is Win 7, HP Intel Pavilion desktop Home Preminum,SP1, 64-bit, IE8, 3G memory, 500GB hard drive.

The computer has just been upgraded from Win Vista to Win 7 after a hard drive was replaced due to a notification that the hard drive was in imminent danger of failure and suggested that it be repaired or replaced.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how to take care of this problem? I am a senior and not computer savvy but have a small amount of knowledge.

Thank you so much for anything you can do to help with the problem. newby

--
W7 - 64 bit - SP1
HP Intel pavilion - Home Premium
IE9
8GB RAM

bsmark71 RE: blue screen
Member 26th Jun, 2011 18:17
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Jun 2011
Try to look at system events by using event viewer. Here is a link how to open it http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/O... You may be able to find there more details about the error.
I had similar problem and it was because I had old version of the driver.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
newby RE: blue screen
Member 26th Jun, 2011 19:03
Score: 1
User Since: 9th Aug 2009
Thank you for that info. but it is for Win Vista and wouldn't work. The computer in question is an upgrade to W7.

Could this be the problem?
Secunia shows that HP Update version 4.x (which is 4.000.010.008 which is installed) needs an update and Secunia gives a link to download it manually. I can't download and install it because it says there are some files that need to be updated and are currently in use. The programs are: hpwu schd applications; and HD Advisor (process ID: 4548)

I do not know how to update the this. I have the setup on my desktop but that is as far as I can go with it.

I am thinking about uninstalling Win 7 and see if everything is OK then. newby

--
W7 - 64 bit - SP1
IE9
8GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: blue screen
Expert Contributor 26th Jun, 2011 20:31
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi newby ,

In another thread you updated your NVIDIA driver (I did the same recently) and had a second thread on the HP update which you closed . In both cases Maurice Joyce (aided by Joe) gave you good advice .

A blue screen crash very often arises from a clash between drivers and you have mentioned a .dmp file which may contain some clues . The problem may be annoying but is not fatal , so far . Rather than complicate things by going back to Vista , I would recommend you wait for someone such as Maurice Joyce to catch up with you .

Sorry I cannot help you directly myself .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jun, 2011 21:07
Anthony, I will wait for further suggestions. Vista was working wonderfully and I thought since I already had purchased Win 7 when it first came out and Microsoft offered it for $50 that would be wise to get it for the Vista machine. I thought it would be a good time to upgrade when we had a hard drive replaced. I don't have sufficient knowledge to get the problems straightened out.

We don't use the computer for games, music, online TV or any of those things - just email and surfing for various things.

If I decide to uninstall Win 7, I will probably have to have some instructions. It is not listed in the Add/Remove so would I have to go to 'view windows updates?' I didn't see the nomenclature 'Windows 7' - only various Windows 7 Updates.

Thank you for your reply. newby

--
W7 - 64 bit - SP1
IE9
8GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: blue screen
Handling Contributor 26th Jun, 2011 21:49
Score: 11309
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@newby,
U locked the thread between U and Joe regarding your monitor sizing.

1. Can U confirm that the problem was FULLY fixed & U had a normal veiwing screen with the monitor at its recommended settings before upgrading? Is there a problem with the monitor sizing now?

2. Please confirm U purchase a Windows 7 upgrade disk which has a 25 letter/number activation code.

3. How did U upgrade? Did U just put the Win 7 disk in the drive & follow the prompts?

4. Was any hardware still attached? Printers/external hard drives/router etc.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedownload RE: blue screen
Member 26th Jun, 2011 21:54
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Jun 2011
Sounds like it's related to your screensaver utility.

--
http://jordan-carver.info/
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jun, 2011 22:51
It is good to see you back, Maurice. The screen resolution is fine now and no problem in that regard. I did have a disk with the 25 letter product key. I inserted the disk and followed directions for the install. There was no problem with the install and most of the updates. I chose to update all at the same time and some of the updates didn't update at the first try. I had to restart part way through and I thought perhaps I should have updated a few at a time. I finally got all the updates done though. After I activated Win 7 upgrade, the rest of the updates installed OK.

I did not disable the printer nor router though. The printer was off but not unplugged. I think I answered all your questions. newby

--
W7 - 64 bit - SP1
IE9
8GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jun, 2011 16:44
I think the problem has been solved. The computer doesn't shut down unexpectedly now. The problem evidently was a driver problem. I was able to download the HP software that Secunia was saying that it was Insecure or end of life.

So far so good thanks to all of you. I know you had to have gotten frustrated with me but I kept trying and was successful after following the instructions you gave me.

Thank all of you again. I appreciate your advice. newby

--
W7 - 64 bit - SP1
IE9
8GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 27th Jun, 2011 18:59
Last edited on 27th Jun, 2011 19:06
Saved me a job! I was going to offer a remote fix - should all be OK now - as U will know from your other Windows 7 PC once it is set up it is trouble free.

Edit:

1. Have U updated the End of Life HP programme?

2. Have U removed the old files from the Vista - Windows 7 upgrade?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 28th Jun, 2011 01:02
Maurice, I did get the end of life/insecure program installed.

No, I did not remove all the Vista remains after upgrading.

Office Depot put the hard drive in and installed Vista from my Recovery Disks. I brought the computer home and did all the Vista updates. Then I installed Win 7 Upgrade and did all the updates. (Perhaps the problems I have been having is that I did not disconnect the router nor the printer) - my fault so I shouldn't complain, should I?

I have just now run the 'troubleshoot a problem with a hard disk drive' to check for both file errors and physical errors. I selected both 'Automatically fix file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.'

I didn't see any kind of report as to what the scan found. The scan took approx. 1 1/2 hrs. to complete.

I have no idea how to remove the left-over Vista stuff. I may be interested in the remote fix yet. We will see how this goes now.

Thank you again for putting up with me and doing your best to undo what I have done that is wrong. newby

--
W7 - 64 bit - SP1
IE9
8GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

Maurice Joyce

RE: blue screen
[+]
This reply has been deleted
Handling Contributor 28th Jun, 2011 01:23
Last edited on 28th Jun, 2011 01:48
Once U are totally satisfied that the upgrade is complete & all files & folders are as U want them to be I would remove the old Vista dross.

This shows U how & gives advice on timelines.

DELETING THE WINDOWS.OLD FOLDER AFTER UPGRADING TO WINDOWS 7

Once you have finished fully upgrading to Vista U can delete the Windows.old folder created during the process.

Instruction on how to do it are here:

Windows 7 Upgrade/reinstallation without formatting the drive: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/How-do...

Update 2 17:28 08/07/2010

Edit: I deleted the post above as it contained my email address. I take it that at the moment everything is running smoothly on both PC's & PSI scores them both 100%?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 28th Jun, 2011 19:36
I thought the problem was taken care of but the computer still shuts down unexpectedly.

This is too much to deal with for an old lady so I think I will take the computer back to Office Depot and see if they can get it going or just buy a new one. The gentlemen with which we deal is on vacation this week so we will will wait until next week.

I hope it will be easily fixed but if not, it is not the end of the world.

Thank you for all your time and help in trying to solve the problem. I do really appreciate all the advice you have given. newby

--
W7 - 64 bit - SP1
IE9
8GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 28th Jun, 2011 21:18
Last edited on 28th Jun, 2011 23:21
Perhaps best for U. Like all that have commented on this thread I think it is just a driver that needs updating.

If U are only taking the PC back please take with U as much written detail as possible about your printer & monitor - he should be able to pre load them for U if they are not available in the Windows 7 database so that hooking them up again should be trouble free.

Hope this helps & U get everything running again quickly.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability